Speculation: Laine/Ehlers Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
First off I'm a neutral fan, so I don't have a horse in this race.
I think this is a good basis of a trade for each team, maybe there's a couple picks going either way, Let me know what you think.

Florida is going to lose Hoffman and Dadanov
From their top 6 forward core, and their defense is pretty average, but expensive.
Jets have 2 NHL defencemen and desperately need help, if it wasn't for Hellebuyck having a vezina season, the jets are drafting top 10.
With all that being said does a 1 for 1 hockey trade work?

Jets: Ekblad
Florida: Laine

Jets: Ekblad

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The Jets are drafting top ten...

At a glance I dislike it...how's Ekblad's concussions these days? Looks like he's been healthy lately?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Logical trade for Winnipeg. Reallocating cap from a position of strength to a position of need and using a player with an uncertain long-term contractual situation to do it makes sense.

I don't get it for Florida. That defense sans Ekblad would be atrocious. Also, Ekblad has certainty with his long-term contractual situation.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fans: NO.

Consider our needs: our weakness is defense and Ekblad is our best, young defenseman signed to a reasonable long-term contract and pacing upwards. Plus, substantial cost uncertainty with Laine

If we had 3 Ekblads, sure.
Edit
... and their defense is pretty average, but expensive...

It is expensive, but not decent: our defensive/goaltending numbers were bottom 5 even after bringing in Bobrovsky. This is the mistake that leads to your conclusion.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
In no world is a #1 Dman traded for a top 3 winger. In most cases a #1 Dman is worth MORE than a 1A Centre

Reactions: Laus723

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
In no world is a #1 Dman traded for a top 3 winger. In most cases a #1 Dman is worth MORE than a 1A Centre
Eh, in the vacuum (no contract, no team needs), I can see an argument that an elite goal-scorer is worth Ekblad, especially given the Barkov connection. Like Nashville a couple seasons back would do this same trade....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's deeper than that cause there are different values within each of the 1D, 1C, and top line winger.

Value on this proposal is close but it fits the Jets more than the Panthers. Jets can trade a winger... Panthers can't trade any of their D... especially the best D they got.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I actually like it as a base. I`d ask for a sweetener though if I`m Panthers:

WPG get:

Ekblad

FLA get:

Laine
Niku

Florida would have to pickup atleast 1 UFA defender. Cheap ones. I`d try signing Haula for around 3M and Granlund for 4,5M on 1yr deals. With a Bottom 5 defense, this would help since theese forwards are pretty good 2-way players

Huby-Barkov-Laine
Granlund-Haula-Acciari

Would be a decent Top6

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
It would be possible for Florida to flip Laine, but then it gets complicated trying to speculate

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

WPG get:

Ekblad

FLA get:

Laine
Niku

Florida would have to pickup atleast 1 UFA defender. Cheap ones. I`d try signing Haula for around 3M and Granlund for 4,5M on 1yr deals. With a Bottom 5 defense, this would help since theese forwards are pretty good 2-way players

Huby-Barkov-Laine
Granlund-Haula-Acciari

Would be a decent Top6
Now look at the defense....

It makes no sense at all for any team to trade their #1Dman when they have no replacement unless they are rebuilding...in which Laine would not be the target.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, I don't think fans think through the other team's position well or the relative rareness of players.

Of our big 3 (Ek, Barky, and Huby), we have no one that can come close to replace the first two. Our high-end prospect depth other than Knight are wingers. If you want to target one of our stars, think through equivalent trades for Huby.

One that I would do if both players are discontent are Huby for Laine, which is lateral for both teams except that I think Huby would flourish in a Canadian market with attention and I think Laine would do well next to Barkov in terms of commitment and mentality. But I don't think this is the right use of resources for Winnipeg given their needs :)

Reactions: Laus723

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Now look at the defense....

It makes no sense at all for any team to trade their #1Dman when they have no replacement unless they are rebuilding...in which Laine would not be the target.

Florida should rebuild. They should aim on keeping Barkov and getting Laine would actually help out at that. Barkov is Laines pal and I bet they would be good together. Both are young and good players to build around.
2022 Stralman is out and 2023 Yandle. Florida aint going to compete anytime soon and I`d rather be sure Barkov stays put. Give your prospects playingtime and try fetching cheap D from FA.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Florida should rebuild. They should aim on keeping Barkov and getting Laine would actually help out at that. Barkov is Laines pal and I bet they would be good together. Both are young and good players to build around.
2022 Stralman is out and 2023 Yandle. Florida aint going to compete anytime soon and I`d rather be sure Barkov stays put. Give your prospects playingtime and try fetching cheap D from FA.

Ya a 24yr old #1 D with 5 years left is also a good thing to build around.
There's no justifying moving a #1D for a winger because of the friend aspect.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Ya a 24yr old #1 D with 5 years left is also a good thing to build around.
There's no justifying moving a #1D for a winger because of the friend aspect.

Yeah, if we rebuild, I think Ekblad is the piece we keep given certainty. Like why not? We can trade him for the same haul in a few years?

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Cotton

May 13, 2013

That never been true. 1C is the hardest thing to find, and you typically need to draft them in the top half of the 1st round.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Laine is younger and more elite for his position than Ekblad is. This proposal already massively discounts Laine because he's a winger.

I get that Florida can't do it because of how bad their defense is but to suggest the value is off is absurd.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

WPG get:

Ekblad

FLA get:

Laine
Niku

Huby-Barkov-Laine
Granlund-Haula-Acciari

Would be a decent Top6
This isn't a sweetner, it's a throw in to make contracts work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad