Speculation: Laine/Ehlers Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
Obviously you missed the several times in this thread where this has been totally debunked. FYI he had the 6th most icetime among RW in the league. More than Wheeler. Laine also had his best overall season with 0.93 ppg.

Even Strength Line Combinations

We both know why 29 was on the 1st line last year, lol. Injuries and Wheels having to C aside, its comical how Pattie has made multiple demands who centers him. Rest assured The Captain will be 55s first choice, we both know this. 55 choses his linemates and 29 has never been a priority. Pattie will fall in line like he always does.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Bro, those stats are awesome, feel like I've seen you post them before. Always down for a bit of Pattie stats. Anyhow try to see the trees through the forest. It doesn't matter who Pattie wants to play with. 55 will decide who flanks him. Blame Wheels, PMo, Chipman, Thompson, Little but if 55 wanted Pattie beside him he would be there. Hard to hear, I understand. Now back to the Pattie stats.

I think its the other way around.
You need to see the tree through the forest.
Scheifele went to this very same drill before before he went on to be the #1 for the Jets.
That took Schiefele 6 years....... learn the D side.

If ever Schiefele dictates who he wants to play with only and its not best for the team. Then the team is not going nowhere. But i don't believe Schiefele is like that. Actually with Schiefele, Laine played his most minutes last year as his center. If he didnt like laine that wouldn't happen. Enough of this Elliot Freedman, that's 2 years ago.

Im not gonna blame the management, why? They already stated what they have in Laine. And they gave him one of the highest beidge deals ever.

Cheers :thumbu:

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is this narrative that the jets got bent over on the trading Trouba still a thing? Yes at the time the value seemed low, but Trouba had a much worse year at best, while Pionk player very well and the jets got Heinola to boot. I’m not upset with those two assets over and 8 mil discontent Trouba in the slightest.

Nope. I wasn't insinuating Jets got bent over. Just that the a futures laden deal isn't great for the Jets. I was also implying that some GMs tire of dealing with RFA and contract stuff and lean towards trading RFA if a long term deal doesn't immediately seem apparent. (Ie: Carolina with Lindholm and Hanifin) which would not be great for the Jets if future Laden deals are the only ones on the table.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Point got paid accordingly? He has a bridge deal. Aho got paid accordingly? He got an offer sheet and a quite low one at that if you ask anyone objective. Yes Rantanen got paid accordingly, though still didn’t sign immediately as you seem to be implying. And if that’s what paid accordingly is, the jets management will have no issue signing him long term. And this insinuating Marner held out is nonsense. Was he playing hardball? Sure, but it was no where near a hold out. And yes of course Laine’s value will be lower if he gets to the point that he’s refusing to sign a contact and his is up. The issue is that you’re acting like that situation is already happening and acting like his value is diminished already because you feel like it might happen later.

$6.7 mil is not your normal bridge deal. It the deal you give a very good player when you don't have the cap space to sign them to a big contract right away because of cap constraints, just like Laine.

$8.5 mil a year is not objectively "quite low", it's the right price for the term of the contract. He probably could have gotten $9+ mil but the current contract is short and takes him right to UFA so he's not going to get that kind of money.

I'm not implying Rantanen signed early that was you asking me whether I thought Rantanen wanted to leave because he didn't sign a contract right away. I said no because he wanted to try and wait to get paid after having one breakout season.

Again, I'm not saying his value has diminished yet...You responded to my post saying I think that every player who isn't signed long-term or on their ELC is worth less which is not at all what I said. If the Jets wait until next offseason and Laine is still unsigned that is going to effect his trade value, just as you just said. That's not because he doesn't have a contract, that's because if you have not re-signed your star RFA after his bridge deal then there's clearly bigger issues because cap space won't be a problem for Winnipeg. Other teams can see that so yes, in that case his trade value would be hurt. If the Jets wait until next season to try and trade him they will get less for him then they could right now. I'm making assumptions based off what we know now but you're operating under the idea that they'll get a contract hammered out no problem which is a much bigger assumption.

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
I think its the other way around.
You need to see the tree through the forest.
Scheifele went to this very same drill before before he went on to be the #1 for the Jets.
That took Schiefele 6 years....... learn the D side.

If ever Schiefele dictates who he wants to play with only and its not best for the team. Then the team is not going nowhere. But i don't believe Schiefele is like that. Actually in the right wing side of Schiefele, Laine played the most minutes last year. If he didnt like laine that wouldn't happen. Enough of this Elliot Freedman, that's 2 years ago.

Im not gonna blame the management, why? They already stated what they have in Laine. And they gave him one of the highest beidge deals ever.

Cheers :thumbu:
tmp_S6608V_5bab28b708359c09_giphy.gif

Reactions: PhilJets

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Nope. I wasn't insinuating Jets got bent over. Just that the a futures laden deal isn't great for the Jets. I was also implying that some GMs tire of dealing with RFA and contract stuff and lean towards trading RFA if a long term deal doesn't immediately seem apparent. (Ie: Carolina with Lindholm and Hanifin) which would not be great for the Jets if future Laden deals are the only ones on the table.
The Jets are literally the example with Trouba. I doubt they want to test fate and go through that all over again with a higher calibre player in Laine. Jets could be spooked in consummating a deal rather than playing hardball. That wouldn't bode well for Jets fans.
Really? Cause “test fate” and “could be spooked” sure sound like something else.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
$6.7 mil is not your normal bridge deal. It the deal you give a very good player when you don't have the cap space to sign them to a big contract right away because of cap constraints, just like Laine.

$8.5 mil a year is not objectively "quite low", it's the right price for the term of the contract. He probably could have gotten $9+ mil but the current contract is short and takes him right to UFA so he's not going to get that kind of money.

I'm not implying Rantanen signed early that was you asking me whether I thought Rantanen wanted to leave because he didn't sign a contract right away. I said no because he wanted to try and wait to get paid after having one breakout season.

Again, I'm not saying his value has diminished yet...You responded to my post saying I think that every player who isn't signed long-term or on their ELC is worth less which is not at all what I said. If the Jets wait until next offseason and Laine is still unsigned that is going to effect his trade value, just as you just said. That's not because he doesn't have a contract, that's because if you have not re-signed your star RFA after his bridge deal then there's clearly bigger issues because cap space won't be a problem for Winnipeg. Other teams can see that so yes, in that case his trade value would be hurt. If the Jets wait until next season to try and trade him they will get less for him then they could right now. I'm making assumptions based off what we know now but you're operating under the idea that they'll get a contract hammered out no problem which is a much bigger assumption.
So in one post Point has an appropriate contract, and something very normal when teams are in that situation, but Laines is seen as him possibly holding out or trying to get off the jets? Even though Points walks him even closer to being a UFA?

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Really? Cause “test fate” and “could be spooked” sure sound like something else.

Bad wording on my behalf. Yeah I see how you could interpret that way. My bad. I meant tempt fate in that the Laine situation goes from headache to nightmare scenario if it drags out. Not trade value.

Reactions: Dache

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
So in one post Point has an appropriate contract, and something very normal when teams are in that situation, but Laines is seen as him possibly holding out or trying to get off the jets? Even though Points walks him even closer to being a UFA?

Points contract isn't normal. You even have a Jets fan in the posts above saying that the bridge deal Laine got (which is the same as Point with one less year) was an abnormal bridge contract.

If Point was one year from his current bridge deal being up with no new contract in place then I would say the same thing about the potential of him being traded and his trade value being hurt if Tampa didn't trade him before the bridge expired. At least with Tampa they would probably not have signed him because of cap issues which is not the same as Laine. The Jets don't have cap issues and should be able to lock up him up long-term. As someone mentioned earlier to me in this thread, this year will be a good chance for the Jets to see if Laine is worth it. That's fine, teams are well within their right to do that. If it comes to the end of next season and Laine isn't happy the Jets will be getting less in a trade then they would now. Not because Laine doesn't have a contract but rather because there's clearly a rift that isn't caused by Winnipeg not paying him.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Bad wording on my behalf. Yeah I see how you could interpret that way. My bad. I meant tempt fate in that the Laine situation goes from headache to nightmare scenario if it drags out. Not trade value.
Fair enough, but the point still stands that the Trouba scenario played out as bad as possible and it still didn’t end up catastrophic for the jets at all

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Points contract isn't normal. You even have a Jets fan in the posts above saying that the bridge deal Laine got (which is the same as Point with one less year) was an abnormal bridge contract.

If Point was one year from his current bridge deal being up with no new contract in place then I would say the same thing about the potential of him being traded and his trade value being hurt if Tampa didn't trade him before the bridge expired. At least with Tampa they would probably not have signed him because of cap issues which is not the same as Laine. The Jets don't have cap issues and should be able to lock up him up long-term. As someone mentioned earlier to me in this thread, this year will be a good chance for the Jets to see if Laine is worth it. That's fine, teams are well within their right to do that. If it comes to the end of next season and Laine isn't happy the Jets will be getting less in a trade then they would now. Not because Laine doesn't have a contract but rather because there's clearly a rift that isn't caused by Winnipeg not paying him.
You can’t have it both ways. Praise Points contract handling and status, while demeaning the way Laines is. It makes no sense.
Point could have signed after his 66 point season but he bet on himself and proceeded to follow it up with a 92 point season and got paid accordingly.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Bandying about two ideas for Carolina for discussion, some of which have already been tossed around.

Trade 1
TO CAR:
Patrick Laine (RW) - 6.75m, 1 year, RFA - age 22

TO WPG:
Vincent Trochek (C) - 4.75m, 2 years, UFA - age 27
Brett Pesce (RD) - 4.025m, 4 years, UFA - age 25

Trade 2
TO CAR:
Brandon Sutter (C) - 4.375m, 1 year, UFA - age 31
Thatcher Demko (G) - 1.05m, 1 year, RFA - age 24
Troy Stetcher (RD) - RFA - age 26

TO VAN:
James Reimer (G) - 3.4m, 1 year, UFA - age 32 (50% retained)
Hayden Fleury (LD/RD) - RFA - age 24
MTL's 5th rounder

Why Carolina might do it it: Teruvainen - Aho - Laine. Dealing from a position of strength (D) to add a gamebreaker in Laine and a potential future starter in Demko. Carolina would still have Hamilton, Slavin, Skeji, Gardiner, and Bean in the system but may be too depleted on the right side, which is why these trades would be contingent around them signing or re-signing some RHD UFAs. This will also help Carolina avoid having to expose Fleury, Skeji, or Bean in the expansion draft and give them some more roster flexibility.

Why Winnipeg might do it: If they are thinking about trading Laine, the Jets have two areas of need: 2C and top 4 D. Pesce's contract is what's even more attractive here.

Why Vancouver might do it: Vancouver has two needs, cap space and an upgrade on RD. This is contingent on them re-signing Markstrom. Fleury should be a decent upgrade on Stetcher. Dealing Sutter for Reimer with some retention helps free up some cap room for the following season which can be used to sign Fleury.

Do any of these make enough sense?
Jets pass. I think the ask for laine is necas + Pesce + ?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I was under the impression Fleury could play decently on the right side but I could be wrong. If I am, I agree that where Vancouver needs the help is on the right side.
Bandying about two ideas for Carolina for discussion, some of which have already been tossed around.

Trade 1
TO CAR:
Patrick Laine (RW) - 6.75m, 1 year, RFA - age 22

TO WPG:
Vincent Trochek (C) - 4.75m, 2 years, UFA - age 27
Brett Pesce (RD) - 4.025m, 4 years, UFA - age 25

Trade 2
TO CAR:
Brandon Sutter (C) - 4.375m, 1 year, UFA - age 31
Thatcher Demko (G) - 1.05m, 1 year, RFA - age 24
Troy Stetcher (RD) - RFA - age 26

TO VAN:
James Reimer (G) - 3.4m, 1 year, UFA - age 32 (50% retained)
Hayden Fleury (LD/RD) - RFA - age 24
MTL's 5th rounder

Why Carolina might do it it: Teruvainen - Aho - Laine. Dealing from a position of strength (D) to add a gamebreaker in Laine and a potential future starter in Demko. Carolina would still have Hamilton, Slavin, Skeji, Gardiner, and Bean in the system but may be too depleted on the right side, which is why these trades would be contingent around them signing or re-signing some RHD UFAs. This will also help Carolina avoid having to expose Fleury, Skeji, or Bean in the expansion draft and give them some more roster flexibility.

Why Winnipeg might do it: If they are thinking about trading Laine, the Jets have two areas of need: 2C and top 4 D. Pesce's contract is what's even more attractive here.

Why Vancouver might do it: Vancouver has two needs, cap space and an upgrade on RD. This is contingent on them re-signing Markstrom. Fleury should be a decent upgrade on Stetcher. Dealing Sutter for Reimer with some retention helps free up some cap room for the following season which can be used to sign Fleury.

Do any of these make enough sense?
Reiner does nothing for us. Probably best to not include him.

sutter is worth a 5th

Stecher and Demko are worth Far more than Fluery.

just doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Canucks.

What we need to add to Demko to get Pesce?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Couturier , sanheim and a first ? As a neutral fan that is rediculous . With laine’s contract status/situation and perceived baggage your never getting that much .
As I jets fan I agree.

Philly has the pieces I'd be interested in though....

Some combination of frost, farabee, sanheim, myers, 1st. I'm assuming TK is on the no-go list

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Couturier , sanheim and a first ? As a neutral fan that is rediculous . With laine’s contract status/situation and perceived baggage your never getting that much .
Offering Patrick isn't ridiculous...when was the last time he played???
What baggage are you referring to?

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
You can’t have it both ways. Praise Points contract handling and status, while demeaning the way Laines is. It makes no sense.

How am I demeaning the handling of Laine's contract...? There was no other way for the Jets to handle the bridge contract. It's a reasonable deal and works for both sides but if by the end of the deal there is no contract in place it's no longer because of cap issues. Even if Point doesn't have a contract in place by his last year of his extension it's most likely because of Tampa cap issues which is not the case with Laine.

The two posts you have quoted do not correlate with your comment. Where did I praise Tampa's handling of Points contract? I said Point waited a season before taking a bridge contract not because he didn't want to play for Tampa but because he wanted make more. Laine didn't have anything to prove so he got that bridge contract right away. The scenarios are not the same at all yet you're trying to equate them saying that I think one was better then the other. If Tampa has the cap space to sign Point before the last season of his bridge contract and they don't then I would say the same thing about his trade value and how it could be a risky scenario for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad