OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Pardon the bump, but Angels fans, is there some truth in this?

jBpfRyN.jpg

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah... I read that Trout will make a concerted effort to try to steal more often this season.

But if he's hitting in front of Pujols, that might not happen as often b/c it draws away focus from Pujols hitting. That's been the reason for some time now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And you guys are paying for Josh not to play for us... so thanks for that. :)

::: grumble, grumble :::

See, this is what happens when an owner overrides a GM. Now that GM left the owner for a divisional rival. smh Will the Angels' owner ever learn that the order of baseball is GM to manager and the owner stays out of it. Let the baseball people do the baseball stuff.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/164030256

Other highlights on the schedule include:
- Trout & Pujols Commemorative Home Run Bobblehead: April 7 vs. Texas Rangers
- Plaid Blanket: April 8 vs. Texas Rangers
- Trout Wall Catch Figurine: May 20 vs. Baltimore Orioles
- Memorial Weekend BBQ Apron: May 27 vs. Houston Astros
- Cooler Bag: June 10 vs. Cleveland Indians
- Christmas in June "Ugly Sweater" Baseball Cap: June 24 vs. Oakland Athletics
- '70s Groovy Rally Monkey: July 15 vs. Chicago White Sox
- Angels Soccer Scarf: August 2 vs. Oakland Athletics
- Mickey Mouse Replica Statue: September 16 vs. Toronto Blue Jays

Also, Hello Kitty Night vs the Mariners on August 18.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
How does the team look? any chance for the playoffs? and which teams are looking the strongest?

I'm not going to pick MLB.tv from the start but will wait for the super discounts somewhere in the season.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
How does the team look? any chance for the playoffs? and which teams are looking the strongest?

I'm not going to pick MLB.tv from the start but will wait for the super discounts somewhere in the season.

I don't have much faith in the Angels. The only chance they have is if Trout plays at an even higher level, and Pujols doesn't fall too far. Pitching is a question mark and I just don't think the team is good enough this year.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015

Not that great. Calhoun, trout, Richards, Heaney and Simmons are probably the only good players on the team. The pitching is pretty bad especially weaver and Wilson. Hopefully shoemaker and Santiago have bounce back seasons. Plus they're running a platoon in left field again. Which is bad. Oh they also have the worst farm system in like the last 20 years lol

Wasting trout years is terrible

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
What happend to Weaver?

I guess he lost his fastball speed at least --> changeup and fastball speeds too close --> trouble.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Weavers fastball topped out at 81 yesterday! It only hit 78 on the home run he gave up.

I know it's only spring but his average fastball last year was only 83 so this has got to be a huge concern. You can't survive in the bigs at 80 mph without being a knuckleballer.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The team will rely on its pitching and defense to win games.

Pitching:

Starting Pitching: Outside of Weaver and Wilson, they have Richards, Heaney, Shoemaker, Santiago, Tropeano, and Skaggs. That's a bunch of young guns. Unfortunately, their #1 pitching prospect, Newcombe, was traded away in the offseason.

Middle Relief: there's loads of middle relief pitchers

Set up man: Smith

Closer: Street

Weakness in pitching - outside the six pitchers named, the Angels are depleted on the farm. They need Weaver and Wilson to step up. Weaver could become a middle relief pitcher if he can't find his fast ball.

Defense: Using statistical analysis, SS position is where the ball, when in play, gets the most action. The Angels have the best defensive player on the field in SS Simmons. They have Trout in CF. The catchers all fit the defense first mold.

Offense: Not really much. 3B Escobar will probably be lead off. RF Calhoun next. C Trout will be third. 1B Pujols will be clean up. 1B/DH Cron is the other slugger on the team. C Perez does have a bat as well.

The biggest key here in Anaheim will be its pitching corps outside of Weaver and Wilson. It's a young corps. So this year won't be a problem. It's the future years b/c the Angels traded away their best pitching prospect for the best defensive SS (defensive player) in Simmons from Atlanta.

Trout will have to be superhuman to get more HR's if we're to win any game b/c it might be a low scoring affair all season long.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Angels giveaways are awful:laugh:

Excited for this season. Not expecting much but if we can string a little something together and our rotation holds up, I think we'll do better than most people think. Not expecting a deep playoff run at all, but a decent season. I think Trouty takes the MVP award again when its all said and done.

Also, love Escobar in the leadoff spot. I like having Kole backing up Trout and Pujols. Escobar could turn out to be a really nice acquisition for us. Plus, anything is better defensively than David Freese at third lol

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
K... so we lost our Ace today in Garrett Richards, he'll have Tommy John's surgery. Our young pitcher in Andrew Heaney also will be a candidate for Tommy John's as well, but nothing official yet.

This season is done. We have no pitching of top caliber in our farm system.

Just to recap:
Weaver lost all velocity - 80 mph is not a fast ball.
Wilson - I have no idea, but he's out
Richards - TMJ
Heaney - TMJ

... so that leaves us with
Santiago and Tropeano right now.

We'll bring up Shoemaker again. So... trading away our #1 pitching prospect isn't looking great right now. = (

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Factor in that Trout is really the only guy who can hit in the lineup and we can effectively write this season off. I dont even think they will be a .500 team.

All for roughly the 7th highest payroll in baseball. Paying Hamilton about 28 mil this year is AWESOME!

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Being a fan of the angles is so much more depressing than the ducks. They have a bad team, bad contracts, and bad prospect pool. Really no reason to be optimistic for the short or long term...

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Factor in that Trout is really the only guy who can hit in the lineup and we can effectively write this season off. I dont even think they will be a .500 team.

All for roughly the 7th highest payroll in baseball. Paying Hamilton about 28 mil this year is AWESOME!

Thanks for the bolded again. I'll be surprised if he makes the lineup at all this season. He just can't get healthy. Went for a conditioning stint to Frisco and re-aggravated his knee in the first game. Don't need him, don't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad