Line Combos: L.A. Kings 2017-18 Line Combinations

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Kings third line looked horrible last night. They don't have anyone on that line that can drive down from the d-zone to o-zone. That line was frequently pinned down and looked lost. Brodzinsky and Kempe looked invisible, and Cammy can better be utilized on the top line with Kopitar.

When Gaborik is back, I would like to see a Cammy-Kopi-Gaborik line, and move Brown and Iafallo to the third line to spark some life and give us depth. Kempe and Dowd can rotate in as the third line centers until someone sticks eventually. The 4th line was fantastic last night, and I hope they keep up that pace.

Wasn't it Dowd-Kempe-Iafallo that was causing havoc one of the last preseason games? I'd definitely give that a try again.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Pearson--Kopitar--Toffoli
Kempe--Carter--Brodzinski
Cammy--Iafallo--Brown
Clifford--Shore--Lewis

Give Kempe and Brodzinski someone reliable like Carter to prove their game. Like the Kings did with Toffoli and Pearson, and if they can't do it send them down. Have Toffoli and Pearson try and help Kopitar out of his slump. Iafallo is a true Center so he can play the 3rd line and maybe give it some stability.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Having Brodzinski and Camm on the same line doesn't make sense to me. Both guys need to be with someone who can control the puck and allow them to slip into the quiet spots on the ice where they can use their best asset.

Stevens obviously sees it and I think he'll be much quicker to mix things up than Sutter was. As great a coach as he is, one of Daryl's weaknesses is he is stubborn with what he thinks will work and if things go south he'll go strictly with guys he trusts. He'd stick a grinder on the top line to make a point. Stevens already looks like he's willing to try guys out in a variety of spots and tries to adapt based on what he sees.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Having Brodzinski and Camm on the same line doesn't make sense to me. Both guys need to be with someone who can control the puck and allow them to slip into the quiet spots on the ice where they can use their best asset.

Stevens obviously sees it and I think he'll be much quicker to mix things up than Sutter was. As great a coach as he is, one of Daryl's weaknesses is he is stubborn with what he thinks will work and if things go south he'll go strictly with guys he trusts. He'd stick a grinder on the top line to make a point. Stevens already looks like he's willing to try guys out in a variety of spots and tries to adapt based on what he sees.

I don't agree completely. Sutter was stubborn with his message and methods, but he was very good at reading the players, getting the pulse, and making on the fly changes to the lines.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Where do I even start with this tweet? IF the NHL allows him back, he can't remain a King.

It really depends on whether Voynov not being a king again was an owner or management directive. Who knows with the new regime.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Not a good message to send to the fans.

I know the Voynov subject is very sensitive for everyone so I will respond once about Voynov. But I don't see a problem with him being a King. Yes he violently beat his wife and he will never be respected by many again but Varly beat his wife and he is in the league , Kane kept his situation hush hush he is still in the league. Voynov got screwed because of the Ray rice thing. She is still with Voynov and had another kid together . I think the Voynov situation was blown out of proportion . I would welcome him back with open arms and he's a top 30 dman. Seems more likely by the day that Voynov will return next year . Rosen mentioned today as well in his article . If Varlamov can be in this league and people forgot about it I'm sure Voynov and the Kings will move on as well. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance . He was stupid and young and in his country it's allowed . He didn't know better doesn't mean I respect him I grew up being taught anyone who touches a woman should be stood up too and never be respected but Voynov deserves a 2nd chance only because they are still together , had a child after this debacle and Varly is still in the NHL for the same thing .

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
What Voynov does in his personal life is none of our business. As long as he is not locked up behind bars, and did his time per the Court, he should be allowed to play in the NHL. I see absolutely no reason why the NHL should suspend Voynov, given that was suspended for basically an entire season, and has not been in the NHL since 2014.

This is a sport and a business. I am sure fans and players are not always eye to eye on personal, social, political, and other issues. That does not mean a player should not be allowed to play. I think getting Voynov back will really solidify our second pairing, and give us the flexibility to improve the team via trade by trading either Martinez or Muzzin, or even LaDue to Colorado in a package deal to get Duchene or Landeskog.

Reactions: HookKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If Todd Bertuzzi went on to have a productive career, anyone can make a comeback.

If Carter is out for any extended period of time, I wonder who gets the nod at 2C?

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Dowd - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Kempe - Lewis
Auger - Shore - Brodzinski

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Swap Shore and Dowd and you're good to go.

And launch Andreoff into the Pacific with a trebuchet.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
If Todd Bertuzzi went on to have a productive career, anyone can make a comeback.

If Carter is out for any extended period of time, I wonder who gets the nod at 2C?

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Dowd - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Kempe - Lewis
Auger - Shore - Brodzinski

I doubt the coaches give Dowd that spot and they won't take Andreoff out of the lineup for Brodzinski. More likely...

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Shore/Kempe--Toffoli
Cammy--Kempe/Shore--Lewis
Andreoff--Dowd--Auger

P.s. I'm on board with getting Andreoff off this team ASAP.

On the Voynov situation...everyone deserves a second chance. I'm a fan of hockey and what happens away from the game doesn't affect me as long as the person gets what they deserve and serves their time. Which Voynov has for the last 2 and going on 3 seasons this year. And the NHL will definitely make him miss more games if he comes back. So if he comes back, I'll be perfectly fine with it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What Voynov does in his personal life is none of our business. As long as he is not locked up behind bars, and did his time per the Court, he should be allowed to play in the NHL. I see absolutely no reason why the NHL should suspend Voynov, given that was suspended for basically an entire season, and has not been in the NHL since 2014.

This is a sport and a business. I am sure fans and players are not always eye to eye on personal, social, political, and other issues. That does not mean a player should not be allowed to play. I think getting Voynov back will really solidify our second pairing, and give us the flexibility to improve the team via trade by trading either Martinez or Muzzin, or even LaDue to Colorado in a package deal to get Duchene or Landeskog.
Yes the NHL is a business, and from the NHL's perspective I see no reason why they'd allow him back. The league gains nothing by having him back. All it would do is give the league some bad PR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad