Line Combos: L.A. Kings 2017-18 Line Combinations

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
How has Alex Iafallo looked thus far in camp? I watched a few of his games when he was at Minn-Duluth. Has some speed which we need in the lineup.

If he doesn't make the initial roster, I would not be surprised to see him get a callup during the season.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Iafallo is still in camp right now and wasn't among those cuts yesterday. Coaching staff must be really impressed with him to have him sticking around.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
anyone has a list of the remaining 33?
"-33 players remain in camp. Numerically, they are Jack Campbell, Chris Lee, Christian Folin, Jake Muzzin, Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, Marian Gaborik*, Kyle Clifford, Michael Cammalleri, Andy Andreoff, Nick Shore, Trevor Lewis, Dustin Brown, Derek Forbort, Brooks Laich, Nic Dowd, Alec Martinez, Jonathan Quick, Darcy Kuemper, Paul LaDue^, Adrian Kempe^, Gabe Vilardi*, Andrew Crescenzi, Oscar Fantenberg^, Michael Mersch, Austin Wagner*, Kurtis MacDermid, Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli, Jonny Brodzinski^, Jeff Carter, Alex Iafallo^ and Justin Auger. Mersch and Crescenzi technically remain on the roster as of now but will come off when they either clear waivers or are claimed tomorrow morning."

From Jon Rosen's article.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
"-33 players remain in camp. Numerically, they are Jack Campbell, Chris Lee, Christian Folin, Jake Muzzin, Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, Marian Gaborik*, Kyle Clifford, Michael Cammalleri, Andy Andreoff, Nick Shore, Trevor Lewis, Dustin Brown, Derek Forbort, Brooks Laich, Nic Dowd, Alec Martinez, Jonathan Quick, Darcy Kuemper, Paul LaDue^, Adrian Kempe^, Gabe Vilardi*, Andrew Crescenzi, Oscar Fantenberg^, Michael Mersch, Austin Wagner*, Kurtis MacDermid, Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli, Jonny Brodzinski^, Jeff Carter, Alex Iafallo^ and Justin Auger. Mersch and Crescenzi technically remain on the roster as of now but will come off when they either clear waivers or are claimed tomorrow morning."

From Jon Rosen's article.

thanks bud! i didn't know Petersen was sent down... he barely even played!

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Iafallo is still in camp right now and wasn't among those cuts yesterday. Coaching staff must be really impressed with him to have him sticking around.

That stick check to create a turnover that led to the GWG goal was a helluva play. Though I was wondering if/when the slash call was gonna come since that was the 3rd or 4th "check" he committed before the defender coughed up the puck.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
So who are the five remaining cuts? My money is on Christian Folin, Brooks Laich, Alex Iafallo, Chris Lee, and one of Darcy Kuemper and Jack Campbell. I liked Chris Lee a lot; fun to watch.

Cammalleri-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli (I personally would swap Brown and Toffoli)
Dowd-Kempe-Brodzinski
Clifford/Auger-Shore-Lewis
Press box: Clifford/Auger-Andreoff

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-LaDue
Martinez-MacDermid/Fantenberg
Press box: MacDermid/Fantenberg

Quick-Kuemper/Campbell

When Gaborik gets healthy, maybe Kempe gets sent down and Dowd shifts to center.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I like Chris Lee and would like to see us sign him. He's got good speed, vision, and moves the puck fast. Which would be huge for the Kings on break outs and on the power play. Not sure how high the Kings are on him, though. Seems like MacDermid is getting more of the attention. Not sold on him, yet. He takes A LOT of minor penalties. I still rather send him to Ontario and see if he get that part of his game out down there. I feel like we got a better group of defensemen on bottom parings then we do the forwards. With the youth of the D; I wonder if they would consider going to the 13F - 8D roster. I would be cool with roster of

Brown - Kopitar - Brodzinski
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Gaborik - Kempe - Cammalleri
Clifford - Shore - Lewis
Dowd

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenburg - Martinez
Lee - Folin

Quick
Campbell

If they don't go with 8 D. I would do the same basic line up with Fantenburg/Folin as the 6/7 man. The 14th forward spot would be curious one though. Iafallo, although the best of the bunch is a true rookie and waiver exempt and be best to start him in Ontario. So it really comes down to Andreoff, Auger, and Laich. I've never really seen what the Kings see in Andreoff. He's just average.. But, the fact he's holding down Gaborik spot in both practices and games might be telling on how the Kings see Andreoff. To me the 14th spot comes down to Auger and Laich. Two interesting cases. Auger is young, huge, and has had great pre-season. However, has been inconsitant on the AHL level and has never played an NHL before. Laich is 10 year older, and is coming of a few injury ridden seasons in which he struggled to produce even in the AHL. But... he's also proven player in the league who's scored 20 plus goals, solid defensive forward, and a "locker room guy". Curious to see what the Kings do. Although, my guess is still they go with Andreoff.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I thought Kuemper had the spot going into camp, but Campbell has been really quite outstanding in preseason. I would go with Campbell, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kuemper wins the job.

Andreoff really doesn't bring anything to this team. He's just taking up room in the press box. If he plays more than 25 games this season for the Kings, this team is screwed.

I'm actually excited about the forward youth coming through the ranks for the first time in a while. Iafallo looked good, JAD could be a great pick, Villardi has huge potential, Kempe and Brodzinski have arrived. The prospect pool is not great, but it's no as bleak as it has been the last couple of years.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I really think the backup role was Kuemper's to lose. Not that he was "given" the role, but he was signed with management expecting him to make that role. He played well enough. I just hope Campbell isn't lost to waivers.

I have mixed feelings about the defense. I'm genuinely disappointed in both Gravel and LaDue. Both played themselves back into Ontario as much as Folin, Fantenberg, and MacDermid played themselves onto the roster.

That said, MacDermid has been the biggest surprise on the defense corps. I didn't know much about Fantenberg and Folin, but I know they've had success elsewhere, so I was less surprised by them. MacDermid, even though he has been playing sheltered minutes, made the most of his opportunity. He has definitely earned it.

On forward, the biggest surprise is Iafallo obviously. He had success as a senior in the NCAA, but that doesn't always translate to doing well at the pro level, let alone the NHL. He was the biggest "earner" of the roster spot.

Both Brodzinski and Kempe have been disappointing for completely different reasons. I've always felt Brodzinski was a bit one-dimensional, and while he may have expanded his repertoire at the AHL level, you can see he's not quite defined an identity at the NHL level to make him successful. Kempe has embraced his game, which I love, but he needs to mature and stop trying to honey-badger his way.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
What bothers me again is the team looks exactly the same as it for the past 3-4 years.

The only thing that has changed is the entire 3rd line and the 3rd pairing D. The rest of the roster is the same. Kopitar, Brown, Shore, Lewis, Clifford, Gaborik, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson....same old. One defense, sure Forbort stepped in but Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez have been here for awhile. Really don't want to complain about D because it is still great and the bottom pair should add some freshness, but the forwards are just stale. Blake needs to drop Gaborik, Brown and Clifford to really inject some freshness.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What bothers me again is the team looks exactly the same as it for the past 3-4 years.

The only thing that has changed is the entire 3rd line and the 3rd pairing D. The rest of the roster is the same. Kopitar, Brown, Shore, Lewis, Clifford, Gaborik, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson....same old. One defense, sure Forbort stepped in but Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez have been here for awhile. Really don't want to complain about D because it is still great and the bottom pair should add some freshness, but the forwards are just stale. Blake needs to drop Gaborik, Brown and Clifford to really inject some freshness.

Easier said than done. You just named more than half of the roster. What kind of changes are you suggesting he should have made? He can't turn into a fantasy league GM and trade for other superstars.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
8/23 roster spots are different since 2016/17 opening night. Spread equally across all positions. This isn't an issue.

Name every issue - imagined or not - this team has. 90% can be weathered if Kopitar is back in form.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I get it, but honestly what has changed besides the 3rd line?

Cammy-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Iafallo/Andreoff-Kempe-Brodzinski/Dowd
Clifford-Shore-Lewis

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Muzzin
Folin-Fantenberg
McD

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Cammy-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Shore-Lewis

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Muzzin
Folin-Fantenberg
McD

Well lets start with Cammy playing the top line adding skill to the top six which had King playing in it most of the year. That alone is a huge upgrade imo. Also keeping Lewis on the bottom line instead of moving all over the lineup will help Yes hes a unsung hero but lets be real hes best suited for bottom line duties. Also the defense man being encouraged to join the rush will lead to more goals. Also with a decent back up goalie we will be in more of the games quick takes a rest in. Kumper is a major upgrade over Zatkoff

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Does anyone think trading a defenseman for a third line center would be a good idea? The weakest link in this lineup is 3C by far.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Does anyone think trading a defenseman for a third line center would be a good idea? The weakest link in this lineup is 3C by far.

Might make more sense to find someone that wants a 3rd line winger and has extra centers, unless it's guy that's not too old and we send a winger or one of the rookie dmen or someone that got sent down recently.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Cammy-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Clifford-Shore-Lewis

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Muzzin
Folin-Fantenberg
McD

What has changed besides 1/3 of the roster? Are you serious?

Nolan gone. Andreoff certainly not in over the others. Third line has a skill makeover and that's without Gaborik in the lineup. Cammalleri on top line for skill, shooting, PP boost. Iafallo and kempe adding lots of speed to roster; moving Dowd from his poor defensive center play to wing where he can use his vision and grit more. Fourth line being absolutely nails with Lewis as a FULL TIME FOURTH LINER and one of the best defensive metrics in the league at center with a steady, stable, tough LWer no matter how much people hate clifford around here.

On D, those pairings are speculative, but after a camp battle, we have a top-four who despite massive issues finished near tops in the league at defense last year, were one of the top scoring defensive corps in the league and that's before the new system was implemented which asks them to go bonkers on attack (Muzzin preseason anyone?), adding skating and puck movement to the back end...

...seriously did you think a rookie GM was going to rip a previously high-performing roster apart on a whim while implementing new tricks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad