Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What kind of a contract would Connor be looking at? If we could get him signed to the Ehlers deal, I wouldn't be upset. He's a beauty. It's going to be tough to fit all our young wingers in the future

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What kind of a contract would Connor be looking at? If we could get him signed to the Ehlers deal, I wouldn't be upset. He's a beauty. It's going to be tough to fit all our young wingers in the future

There won't be cap space available in two years to do that. He is almost guaranteed to be on a bridge deal.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Still amazed Connor & Roslovic weren't selected to their World Junior Teams in 2016.

Undrafted forwards Scott Eansor & Ryan Hitchcock were both selected to Team USA with another two forwards Ryan MacCinnis & Ryan Delnoto yet to play an NHL game despite being drafted in 2014, a full year prior.

There was talk here on our own board at the time that the omission may have been due to attitude issues. This came up again after Connor lost the Hobey Baker to Jimmy Vesey.

Both however have been fantastic prospects with undeniable talent & unquestionable work ethic.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Still amazed Connor & Roslovic weren't selected to their World Junior Teams in 2016.

Undrafted forwards Scott Eansor & Ryan Hitchcock were both selected to Team USA with another two forwards Ryan MacCinnis & Ryan Delnoto yet to play an NHL game despite being drafted in 2014, a full year prior.

There was talk here on our own board at the time that the omission may have been due to attitude issues. This came up again after Connor lost the Hobey Baker to Jimmy Vesey.

Both however have been fantastic prospects with undeniable talent & unquestionable work ethic.

Connor began his assault on the NCAA immediately after being snubbed. Roslovic was selected to the 2017 team though (Connor was too old)

IMG_0578.jpg

aessi

Jan 1, 2015

Rookies rarely get big contracts after one good season, next year will define what they do with him unless Chevy wants to get his cap hit down they could do what Poile did with Arvidsson (7*4,25m).

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Rookies rarely get big contracts after one good season, next year will define what they do with him unless Chevy wants to get his cap hit down they could do what Poile did with Arvidsson (7*4,25m).
and his honeymoon with PMO is over next season he will be grinding the lower lines and his production will fall, good player nonetheless. Lot of good prospects in Jets, someone has to go next few seasons cannot fit all.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't expect an extension this summer. Probably plays next year and then a 2 yr bridge signed in late august

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
and his honeymoon with PMO is over next season he will be grinding the lower lines and his production will fall, good player nonetheless. Lot of good prospects in Jets, someone has to go next few seasons cannot fit all.
He's second on the team in 5 on 5 points - just one point behind Wheeler. He is also first in points per minute.

He has more than earned his ice time.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

When will this myth that PMO doesn’t give young players a chance and he favors vets?

Just because Petan wasn’t good enough doesn’t make it true.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's second on the team in 5 on 5 points - just one point behind Wheeler. He is also first in points per minute.

And he has played with Wheeler the most too. What a coincidence.

40-50 goal predictions and 6 mil deals. Calm down people.

Nice to see Connor shut up those people who visited his thread on the prospect page and kept shitting on him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Letting Connor walk will be a huge mistake if it ever comes to that.

I think he can absolutely be a 50 goal scorer, 90 point player.

Agreed on the former, can't see the latter. Though he is still a really great offensive player.

Reactions: Sweech

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor will be a star in this league but I won't speculate on any numbers except to say he has a very high ceiling.
I still say I want to see a KC Roslo Ehlers line in the future.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think he's like a faster James Neal and will score 40 goals a handful of times. He's got a touch in close to bury goals.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

As did Ehlers and Laine before he earned it.
Its just the way PoMo rolls, has nothing to do with earning it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
I think he can absolutely be a 50 goal scorer, 90 point player.

I think he's like a faster James Neal and will score 40 goals a handful of times. He's got a touch in close to bury goals.

Absolutely a 90 point player?:rolleyes: The 50 goal or multiple 40 goal predictions are even more ridiculous. He would need to play regularly in the first line around 20min. per game for that.

Not gonna happen after this season, Maurice is gonna put him down to a lower line like he has done to all sophomores. And to be honest can't see him ever being a first line superstar in the Jets; he's good, but not that good.

I'd be impressed if he ever hit 90 points a season in his whole career, he can be sometimes very wasteful considering how many chances he gets.

Reactions: hudster

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Only OV has scored 50 goals in the past 5+ years. I think only Laine, Matthews and potentially McDavid will hit 50 goals from the current generation. It's extremely rare feat in today's game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think Connor will be a 20-30G scorer most of his career - he's got a slick and tricky shot, and is no longer worried about getting his nose dirty in the corners and around the net. We saw a similar progression with him in NCAA as he got more and more accustomed to the play at that level.

It's very possible that he gets moved down - seems that Maurice might like to shelter via QoT, versus against QoC. Once they're ready to leave the nest, they seem to get moved to other lines to help drive offense elsewhere. Alternatively: having someone like Connor stand in as a poor man's Perreault in terms of digging the puck out for Wheels and Scheif seems to be working, for the most part.

Last edited:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Absolutely a 90 point player?:rolleyes: The 50 goal or multiple 40 goal predictions are even more ridiculous. He would need to play regularly in the first line around 20min. per game for that.

Not gonna happen after this season, Maurice is gonna put him down to a lower line like he has done to all sophomores. And to be honest can't see him ever being a first line superstar in the Jets; he's good, but not that good.

I'd be impressed if he ever hit 90 points a season in his whole career, he can be sometimes very wasteful considering how many chances he gets.

He's only recently started to be productive on the power play.

KC is a shot option on the power play the same likes as Laine. He's is currently net front/down low option.

There's more points for him if he's even playing Ehlers position on the PP.

Look at all the touches Ehlers gets, yet KC is only a few points behind him and with less games played.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's only recently started to be productive on the power play.

KC is a shot option on the power play the same likes as Laine. He's is currently net front/down low option.

There's more points for him if he's even playing Ehlers position on the PP.

Look at all the touches Ehlers gets, yet KC is only a few points behind him and with less games played.
Are we seriously actually going to ignore the quality of linemates? Really?

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Yeah. I'm thinking Connor is just starting to get going. I won't put a bunch of numbers on it, but he's already put himself in elite company in NCAA, he's trending up in rookie scoring as the season goes on, and I think he is yet another "special player" the Jets have managed to grab who probably could have gone top 5 in his draft.

Way to find those diamonds in the rough Chevy.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Are we seriously actually going to ignore the quality of linemates? Really?

Because Laine is ...a terrible player? Because Bryan Little can't play hockey? Because Stasny is horrible?Copp?

I love Laine and Ehlers. but they haven't made the best choices 100% of the time, so what? They are young (esp #29) and despite success still growing and developing.

Can't we admit that players have different development curves and that Connor earned his position? Does that have to mean anything? Does it have to be a PoMo conspiracy? Is it not possible to have 4 good lines without it being a slight to one player or another? We have a wealth of young talent on the team, everyone is contributing, everyone is doing well.

Laine and Ehlers are being developed as a unit and will be a unit on a Long term basis in this organisation. that is the reason for their deployment. we welcome the success now AND look to the future when they will DOMINATE!
Connor is a phenom on his own and a game changer. 20+ (30+ is my bet) rookie on a top line in a top 5 team? That's rare as hen's teeth. So he belongs on the top line. There is only one open spot on our top line (break up wheeler and Schief? crazy!!!!), so, you put Laine and Ehlers together(obvious choice) let them grow as Laine grows.
This isn't rocket surgery....

Reactions: DRC and YWGinYYZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad