Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I don't think Connor was a 'diamond in the rough', I think a few other GMs passed over an obvious talent... and Boston blew it big time. Thanks, Don.

He didn't really show what he was capable of till the year after his draft. He had potential, but it was a guess as to whether he'd reach it and how long. No-one expected him to explode his freshmen year like that. and he hasn't looked back since.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
He didn't really show what he was capable of till the year after his draft. He had potential, but it was a guess as to whether he'd reach it and how long. No-one expected him to explode his freshmen year like that. and he hasn't looked back since.
Well I remember at the draft Many had Him in around 8-13 range(in a deep draft). Boston did blew it ;) good for us :)

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

You raise a good point, I forgot he was playing USHL when he was drafted. I believe that multiple sources had him ranked in the top-10 though, so it's not like he was completely unknown.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Feeling the need to drag down and discredit another Jet player now?
Dont Think that was the point.. he response to a post dragging down ehlers productions.. and he just pointet out the different line mates.. cant See a problem in that. Connor is a gem!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Dont Think that was the point.. he response to a post dragging down ehlers productions.. and he just pointet out the different line mates.. cant See a problem in that. Connor is a gem!

I think I know what the intent is.

And he has played with Wheeler the most too. What a coincidence.

40-50 goal predictions and 6 mil deals. Calm down people.

Are we seriously actually going to ignore the quality of linemates? Really?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I honestly dont think he was trying to drag KC down.
But Ehlers/Laine have been getting a little underrated in here, I think that is what he is responding to, aswell as the statements that KC deserves that spot more than Ehlers or Laine based on their play, which I also disagree with, since both Laine and Ehlers also showed they definitely deserved it when they were there.

This doesnt mean we need to change up the lines tho, they work.
Just do not agree with some of the statements made in here, and some could be interpreted as pulling Ehlers down if the 2 posts you quoted are the benchmark.

Reactions: Hulide

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I honestly dont think he was trying to drag KC down.
But Ehlers/Laine has been getting a little underrated in here, I think that is what he is responding to, aswell as the statements that KC deserves that spot more than Ehlers or Laine based on their play, which I also disagree with, since both Laine and Ehlers also showed they definitely deserved it when they were there.

This doesnt mean we need to change up the lines tho, they work.
Just do not agree with some of the statements made in here, and some could be interpreted as pulling Ehlers down if the 2 posts you quoted are the benchmark.

The thread title says "Kyle Connor"

Why does every thread have to have Laine content?

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and GNP

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's a whole other discussion, and you know I agree with you.
Just trying to explain I didn't get any mal-intention from the posts you quoted :)

Just hoping to nip it in the bud. I could see where this was going.

Connor has a legitimate shot at 30 goals this season. I see no reason why that level of scoring would somehow be unattainable in the future. This opinion based on his talent and his propensity for being a goal scorer at every level of hockey he's played.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Just hoping to nip it in the bud. I could see where this was going.

Connor has a legitimate shot at 30 goals this season. I see no reason why that level of scoring would somehow be unattainable in the future. This opinion based on his talent and his propensity for being a goal scorer at every level of hockey he's played.

Oh definitely !

Just not going to see 40-50 from him on a consistent basis, thats all I disagree with.

30+ hells yeah I can see that being something he does consistently.

Reactions: GNP

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
The thread title says "Kyle Connor"

Why does every thread have to have Laine content?
It does not.. but at the same way when people in the Laine treat says Something About other players we come to there defence...again he response to a post dragging down ehlers and Laine... what was he surpose to do? Cant he defend them? Or point Out different line mates?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He was still scoring when he was on the 4th line.

When Scheifele went down, who stepped up to fill the void for goal scoring? KC was on a heater
So you either think one of these two is true; Having absolute top 20 players in the league as your linemates does not inflate a players stats

Or that Kyle Connor is one of those absolute elite players.

The sample size of him playing on other lines is too small to be used as an argument

I agree with @YWGinYYZ on everything he said about Connor. That's how i see him. If he turns out to be even more then i'll gladly eat that crow one day.
]

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think Connor gets his first NHL Hatty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: csk

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So you either think one of these two is true; Having absolute top 20 players in the league as your linemates does not inflate a players stats

The sample size of him playing on other lines is too small to be used as an argument

I agree with @YWGinYYZ on everything he said about Connor. That's how i see him. If he turns out to be even more then i'll gladly eat that crow one day.
Maybe dont talk about Laine then? No one else has.

Also this kinda pisses me off. Are you gonna write the same message to the guy i replied to?

No I have not stated my opinion on any of that stuff

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think it's fair to say in a more diplomatic way that Connor won't be the sheltered young guy having his points potential maximized playing with Scheifele and Wheeler next year.

He's turned into a pretty well rounded player and is already thinking a lot faster than back in November. Good chance they put him in the middle six and give Laine or Vesalainen that spot.

Connor could easily have less points and be a better player next year.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

]

I do believe that KC has the skill to be an absolute elite player, yes. Playing with Scheifele and Wheeler doesn't hurt anyone's production, but like I said, from his time on the 4th line it looked like he took on a more aggressive game and drive his line. Whereas when he's with Wheeler and Scheifele he seems to want to dish off the puck for them a bit too much.

I think he'll be elite in a few years.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not sure what you are saying. Connor has out-produced both Ehlers and Laine at 5 on 5. He's been really, really good and he's a good stylistic fit with Scheifele and Wheeler.

I am saying that KC is not on that 1st line because he deserves it, but because he is being sheltered and given confidence thru quality linemates and top minutes.
Because he is a rookie.

And he is getting more sheltered than any other rookie in this team was. Ehlers in his first year did not get those minutes or consistency of linemates, nor Laine.

And this is basically a soph season for kyle, I know he played 20 games only, but its not Ehlers fault he was not good enough to stick around 2 years after draft as Ehlers was - I think people are forgetting. this part when matching up their rookie seasons.

should match this season with Ehlers last to be fair, and even there Ehlers didnt get the same linemate consistency.

People in here are inclining that he is there over say, Laine and Ehlers because he deserves it more.

Before he was there to start the season, Ehlers was there and doing very well.

KC had done nothing to get the spot when he first got, and Ehlers deserved to stay, but thats not how PoMo rolls.

When both Laine and Ehlers have been there they have deserved it and played well.

KC is a good fit, but lets not make him out to be better than Ehls or Laine. He has been getting a little more leash than they have.

So with all that extra leash, ofc he has more 5v5 pts. He is playing alot of minutes with quality linemates, he is also getting heavy time in the 1st pp.

Laine and Ehlers are arguably the two most rotated players - Having been on several lines with many different linemates, playing less minutes than KC. Often facing tough match - up's. and still produce well, Something I think they dont get enough credit for.

KC is good, but some here make it seem like his performance is massively better than Ehlers or Laine.

And no, he was no where near as productive on the 4th line - And btw Ehlers and Laine also score anywhwre they play, even with low toi.

Last edited:
Reactions: hudster

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
KC is good, but some here make it seem like his performance is massively better than Ehlers or Laine.
I have seen exactly zero people say this.

He's very talented and he's a good fit with Wheeler and Scheifele - as evidenced by the fact that he is out-producing them per minute at 5 on 5.

Regardless, his emergence allows Mo to spread talent throughout the lineup - which is ideal.

I doubt many Pens fans are complaining about how Kessel deserves Crosby.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have seen exactly zero people say this.

He's very talented and he's a good fit with Wheeler and Scheifele - as evidenced by the fact that he is out-producing them per minute at 5 on 5.

Regardless, his emergence allows Mo to spread talent throughout the lineup - which is ideal.

I doubt many Pens fans are complaining about how Kessel deserves Crosby.

Ive seen comments such as outperforming golden boy Ehlers, goldenboy obviously meant sarcasticly. Ive seen some say KC is miles ahead of Ehlers, not to mention the more than few comments that subtly suggest that the reason KC is there over Laine or Ehlers is because his play there has deserved it more.

but, im not complainingb at all:)

I apologize if thats the vibe I gave off

He is a good fit on that line, and our ability to roll 3 scoring lines is awesome.

So on that we can agree:)

And, yes, Connor is definitely an awesome talent we are very lucky to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad