Value of: Kucherov next contract

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The bolded makes zero sense with the sentence that follows.

Chicago did a great job winning those three Cups. Kane is worth his money now. I don't like lumping them together. Toews is not. The Hawks were somewhat held hostage but if you ask me it's strange they both got the same money.

Ask the Patriots about stretching winning ways over a long period of time. They almost never gave reward contracts.

It makes perfect sense. I didn't say that the Hawks window was closed. But it will be before those contracts are up. If you don't pay your players for success they've achieved, it's going to become difficult to get people to come play for you, unless you can get people to tag along for the ride (like the Hawks were able to do with Panarin).

Ask Tom Brady how much more money he could have made if he didn't take team friendly deals and restructure them to fit other people in.

It also helps when you are arguably the best player in your position of all time and can throw the ball to any schmoe who has two hands. Similar to the penguins situation.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'd seriously like to know why no team offer sheeted this guy last year....it just makes no sense. It also makes me wonder if GM's just have agreed not to do it anymore. Its annoying.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It makes perfect sense. I didn't say that the Hawks window was closed. But it will be before those contracts are up. If you don't pay your players for success they've achieved, it's going to become difficult to get people to come play for you, unless you can get people to tag along for the ride (like the Hawks were able to do with Panarin).

Ask Tom Brady how much more money he could have made if he didn't take team friendly deals and restructure them to fit other people in.

It also helps when you are arguably the best player in your position of all time and can throw the ball to any schmoe who has two hands. Similar to the penguins situation.

No. If you pay your guys too much money for past achievements you will find it difficult to get people to come play for you if you can't pay them.

And the point about Tom Brady...it's exactly what I'm saying. If Tom Brady took absolute top dollar every year they probably wouldn't have so many championships. Toews and Kane did take absolute top dollar when those contracts were signed. Ultimately, the nature of negotiations is such that most NHL contracts of players of a certain status there is a balance between rewarding past achievements and the expectation of future similar achievements.

As far as Kucherov is concerned, my personal opinion is that he already signed one sweet hometown discount contract with Tampa. He doesn't owe them another. Barring a big time injury or serious regression, he is going to deserve a massive contract on the next go around. Deserve it in the sense that he will have proven himself and will still be young enough to expect many good years after putting pen to paper.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
kucherov won't cripple the team like kane and toews did with his contract i'd say between 8.5 to 9 per year he signs for in tampa.

How can you say that? We all knew he was worth more than 6M when he signed that last contract.
Players sign bridge deals to cash in big time on their next contract, don't they?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Personally I think it's going to matter if he leads us to a Cup win. If something like that happens I can see us paying 10. If not Kuch will take a discount to help the team get over the hump. This guy is all about winning. Wouldn't surprise me if he even took a discount if he did win a cup. He just wants to win.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Personally I think it's going to matter if he leads us to a Cup win. If something like that happens I can see us paying 10. If not Kuch will take a discount to help the team get over the hump. This guy is all about winning. Wouldn't surprise me if he even took a discount if he did win a cup. He just wants to win.
Totally agree Kuckerov is about winning more then cashing in big, I still honestly believe that he will sign for a similar deal as Stamkos maybe slightly more like 8 years $72 million but i doubt it would be more then that. He's definitely the real deal right now.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How can you say that? We all knew he was worth more than 6M when he signed that last contract.
Players sign bridge deals to cash in big time on their next contract, don't they?

Or, they sign cheaper contracts because they want to be in a place that they like and increase their chances of winning. It's extremely rare, I agree, but it's not impossible to think of. Its not like a 72 million dollar (8*9) isn't 'cashing in'.

Reactions: Master P

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Or, they sign cheaper contracts because they want to be in a place that they like and increase their chances of winning. It's extremely rare, I agree, but it's not impossible to think of. Its not like a 72 million dollar (8*9) isn't 'cashing in'.

If the rumors of the Cap going up past 80M next season or true, 8X9 isn't cashing in.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Idk about all the team culture stuff. I mean, I'm sure it plays some part, just maybe not the driving factor.

As has been mentioned though, I think Kuch is primarily focused on winning. He really really likes good hockey players, like Stamkos, and does not like meh hockey players, like Killorn.

I think if he thinks that taking 8.5 or 9 instead of like 11 means keeping Point or Sergachev or someone good, then he'll do it.

Although, maybe that is the team culture thing. It's not some abstract concept where everyone from the owner to the popcorn vendor has perfect chemistry. They are just a bunch of guys that really believe they can win a championship together.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If the rumors of the Cap going up past 80M next season or true, 8X9 isn't cashing in.

9 mil would still be 1/9th of the cap. Id say thats still cashing in. Maybe not McDavid level, but thats still a decent portion of the cap to take up. I would be surprised if he took anything more than 10 mil.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
9 mil would still be 1/9th of the cap. Id say thats still cashing in. Maybe not McDavid level, but thats still a decent portion of the cap to take up. I would be surprised if he took anything more than 10 mil.

He's super young, he's had good playoff numbers and he's started this season strong.
Not saying he's gonna sign for 11M, but brace yourself just in case. ;)

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
He's super young, he's had good playoff numbers and he's started this season strong.

As a Tampa fan, I'd hand him a blank check if he wants it. I don't think we will, but I would do it in a heart beat if it means keeping him here. It's incredibly difficult to get the Nikita Kucherov's of the world, need to pay them when the time comes.

Dominates the regular season, then playoffs comes around he steps his game up even further. You keep those players, and figure out the rest afterwards.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
As a Tampa fan, I'd hand him a blank check if he wants it. I don't think we will, but I would do it in a heart beat if it means keeping him here. It's incredibly difficult to get the Nikita Kucherov's of the world, need to pay them when the time comes.

Dominates the regular season, then playoffs comes around he steps his game up even further. You keep those players, and figure out the rest afterwards.

I agree... but I honestly do think that players should sign for significantly cheaper in Tampa given how they pay less taxes. I thought that Stamkos would have signed for less given his injury history.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I agree... but I honestly do think that players should sign for significantly cheaper in Tampa given how they pay less taxes. I thought that Stamkos would have signed for less given his injury history.

I think players are buying in the team philosophy, that and the taxes help a bit with that. I was kind of bummed with Stamkos signed that honestly due to his injury concerns. Though if he can string a couple of successful seasons paired with Kucherov, then it will gladly make me look like an idiot.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think players are buying in the team philosophy, that and the taxes help a bit with that. I was kind of bummed with Stamkos signed that honestly due to his injury concerns. Though if he can string a couple of successful seasons paired with Kucherov, then it will gladly make me look like an idiot.

I honestly had no clue Stamkos was capable of putting up assists at this rate.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I mean, im not a Tampa fan, so i have no horse in the race. But based off of media comments and the deal he took before, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him at 10 or less. A steal for a player of his talents, for sure. But I dont know - from my (admittedly rather limited) viewings of him in the media, he seems like a genuine guy that just loves to play and the money isnt the biggest motivator for him. Time will tell i suppose :)

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Somewhere between 11M and 12M is fair. Any Tampa fans think he won't exceed Stamkos' contract are in for a very rude awakening. I could see him taking a team friendly deal, but a team friendly deal for Kucherov is anything below 11. There is zero chance it will be sub 10M.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
He will most likely take 1 mil under the going rate. Tampa seems like a team that wants to say together. As for the going rate I think it's about 10-11 for a guy that produces like him.

As for what Stamkos got it had a bit to do with all his injuries.

Also you can't forget that the NHLP doesn't want their players taking too huge of discounts, because it also affects the other players trying to get paid.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
When Kucherov's contract is up, they'll be losing the contracts of Girardi, Sustr, Coburn, and Kunitz theoretically. Basically $11 million in cap space to re-sign Point, give Kuch a raise, and re-sign Stralman.

I'd say 4.75m to 8.5m for Kuch, 4.5m to 6m for Stralman, and Give Point a 3X2 bridge. Then use the rest of the money to re-sign Dotchin, Koekkoek and Namestnikov.

Then when Sergachev needs his contract after ELC, you'll be losing the 5.8 million from Callahan.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
When Kucherov's contract is up, they'll be losing the contracts of Girardi, Sustr, Coburn, and Kunitz theoretically. Basically $11 million in cap space to re-sign Point, give Kuch a raise, and re-sign Stralman.

I'd say 4.75m to 8.5m for Kuch, 4.5m to 6m for Stralman, and Give Point a 3X2 bridge. Then use the rest of the money to re-sign Dotchin, Koekkoek and Namestnikov.

Then when Sergachev needs his contract after ELC, you'll be losing the 5.8 million from Callahan.
So you've got it all figured out do ya?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad