Player Discussion Kris Knoblauch: Don’t Judge a Knob By Its Polish

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
People acting like Woodcroft was some demon the team exercised to bring in their new angel sound a lot like this years Vancouver fans and not in a good way.

Woodcroft might be a worse coach than Knoblach. In fact, now that I have a decent sample of games under the new regime I think he is, but the primary and only real difference between the teams records under the different coaching staffs is Woody had the worst goaltending in the NHL and Knoblach has had close to if not the best. Show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

That said, the Oilers as a whole were a pretty ho-hum team most of last year until they acquired Ekholm at the trade deadline. They exploded after that and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Reactions: The Bored Man

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This might be the most underrated part. The team seems to enjoy coming to work everyday, I think even I didn't realize that fully.
I think a lot forget this. It's all "these guys are paid millions to do a job so who cares if they are having fun".

Yet in a normal person's life isn't work easier and more efficient when you are having fun and don't dread going to work everyday?
Putting people in position to succeed kind of captures it. And then nurturing it. As you said, he really seems to emphasize giving people a role and getting them to embrace it.
I go back to Foegele yet last year when Woody was using him on PK. Foegele brought it up that just being a 5 on 5 player sometimes isn't good. Depending how the game is going you just sit sometimes for far too long and get out of a groove.

I get that it's tough to get everyone into the games all the time, but at some point when you have these big ticket guys struggling and they aren't playing special teams but are capable isn't it worth it to try see if you can get them going by engaging them more?

People acting like Woodcroft was some demon the team exercised to bring in their new angel sound a lot like this years Vancouver fans and not in a good way.

Woodcroft might be a worse coach than Knoblach. In fact, now that I have a decent sample of games under the new regime I think he is, but the primary and only real difference between the teams records under the different coaching staffs is Woody had the worst goaltending in the NHL and Knoblach has had close to if not the best. Show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

That said, the Oilers as a whole were a pretty ho-hum team most of last year until they acquired Ekholm at the trade deadline. They exploded after that and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Aren't are high danger chances against top in the league now? Would that not be coaching related, would that not make goaltending better?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think a lot forget this. It's all "these guys are paid millions to do a job so who cares if they are having fun".

Yet in a normal person's life isn't work easier and more efficient when you are having fun and don't dread going to work everyday?

I go back to Foegele yet last year when Woody was using him on PK. Foegele brought it up that just being a 5 on 5 player sometimes isn't good. Depending how the game is going you just sit sometimes for far too long and get out of a groove.

I get that it's tough to get everyone into the games all the time, but at some point when you have these big ticket guys struggling and they aren't playing special teams but are capable isn't it worth it to try see if you can get them going by engaging them more?

Aren't are high danger chances against top in the league now? Would that not be coaching related, would that not make goaltending better?
Woody was overplaying the top guys on PK duty and Knob is trusting people like Ryan, Janmark and McLeod on penalty killing minutes, keeping them involved, and allowing the big guns more time to rest and play a more complete 200 foot game.

Reactions: joestevens29

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

The Oilers were top 5 in all defensive metrics under Woodcroft this year as well. The difference was at that point in time damn near every scoring chance they did surrender was a goal against because the team literally could not buy a save.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The Oilers were top 5 in all defensive metrics under Woodcroft this year as well. The difference was at that point in time damn near every scoring chance they did surrender was a goal against because the team literally could not buy a save.
The Oilers were decent defensively overall, but when Woodcroft was fired, the Oilers were 32nd in rush chances against! These are higher quality chances, and makes goalie look REALLY bad as a result. Since Knoblauch was hired, the Oilers have been 1st in the NHL in rush chances against- look how much better our defense and goaltending look. This drastic change alone is worth the coaching change.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Jack Adams conversation? Or still too early? It’s clear his system play is a huge reason for the turnaround

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jack Adams conversation? Or still too early? It’s clear his system play is a huge reason for the turnaround
The way the voting goes I doubt he wins. Mainly because most people expected us to be good so they won't give the guy full credit for getting the team to where they are. We are seeing how a lot of people talk about the Oilers on a regular basis without doing their homework, so I won't be shocked if Knobs gets the short end of the stick with some of the voters.

Other kicker for him is Vancouver, Boston and Winnipeg playing above expectations this year. Granted Boston was a great team last year they were expected to take a step back after losing Krecji, Bergeron and Hall.

I don't think it's impossible though as this team has thrown together some long heaters and there still is damn near half a season left for us, but it's going to be tough if those teams I mentioned continue to play well. Tocchet, Montgomery and Bowness are pretty deserving candidates to me at this point.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
The way the voting goes I doubt he wins. Mainly because most people expected us to be good so they won't give the guy full credit for getting the team to where they are. We are seeing how a lot of people talk about the Oilers on a regular basis without doing their homework, so I won't be shocked if Knobs gets the short end of the stick with some of the voters.

Other kicker for him is Vancouver, Boston and Winnipeg playing above expectations this year. Granted Boston was a great team last year they were expected to take a step back after losing Krecji, Bergeron and Hall.

I don't think it's impossible though as this team has thrown together some long heaters and there still is damn near half a season left for us, but it's going to be tough if those teams I mentioned continue to play well. Tocchet, Montgomery and Bowness are pretty deserving candidates to me at this point.

Don't forget Bruce Cassidy. Vegas has been without Eichel, Pietrangelo, and William Karlsson and has still been dominant!

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Man if KK keeps this up he absolutely wins the Jack Adams. Not like he’s going to have an .800% all year, but this is a phenomenal record so far.

He reminds me of Cassidy, a coach who I gained a huge amount of respect for (begrudgingly. They’re just smart, no nonsense coaches that care about good systems.

Woody was more charming by far but I’m really growing to admire Knoblauch a lot. He’s just calm, steady and has a plan that makes sense.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Nov 14th the Oil had played 14 games, basically 1/6th of the season, they were 4-9-1, 31st out of 32 teams. Their goal differential was -13. They were already 16 points out of 1st in the conf, 14 points out of 3rd.

Jan 26th, 44GP, 28-15-1, 10th in the league, 12 points out of 1st in the conf but with 4 games in hand. Goal diff +33.

I dunno what's crazier: the 15-game win streak or the fact that an Oiler team allowed 2GA or less for 13 games straight.

Reactions: Oilhawks

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I was listening to some Toronto sports station and they said the entire turn around is from Skinner just getting better......He is part of it, but it is the structure and buy in and PK

Oh, and the morons said "ya gotta talk about McDavid and the MVP. He has his team winning 15 in a row".

i swear they don't even watch 1 game lol

Reactions: Coffey

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was listening to some Toronto sports station and they said the entire turn around is from Skinner just getting better......He is part of it, but it is the structure and buy in and PK

Oh, and the morons said "ya gotta talk about McDavid and the MVP. He has his team winning 15 in a row".

i swear they don't even watch 1 game lol
Hes been much better.

But they arent giving up back door tap-ins every other shift which sure helps.

Reactions: AM

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nov 14th the Oil had played 14 games, basically 1/6th of the season, they were 4-9-1, 31st out of 32 teams. Their goal differential was -13. They were already 16 points out of 1st in the conf, 14 points out of 3rd.

Jan 26th, 44GP, 28-15-1, 10th in the league, 12 points out of 1st in the conf but with 4 games in hand. Goal diff +33.

I dunno what's crazier: the 15-game win streak or the fact that an Oiler team allowed 2GA or less for 13 games straight.
Probably the 2GA streak.

Woodcroft’s teams could go on long winning streaks as well but even at the best of times they’d give up more defensively.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
nrou3zejoshyx9k7jy9j.jpg

Midas-Touch.png

H20130901-MidasTouch-01.jpg

Reactions: Oilhawks and Leo360

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

If we go undefeated the rest of the year, they HAVE to give it to him.:D

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Reddit is utterly insufferable with all the Woody apologists saying this turnaround was inevitable and the sudden improvement of so many slumping players is just a coincidence...even though the only real change that occurred is the coaching staff.

I have no idea how anyone could honestly look at this team and say with a straight face that this would have all been possible under Woodcroft.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

This outlines the problem with Woodcroft. Never learned from mistakes, the same problems persisted. Shitty camp last year lead to a shitty camp this year. Shitty start last year lead to a shitty start this year. Didn't have the team prepared for any Game 1 ever. Team showed no signs at any point under him of truly maturing.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Woodcroft streaks were largely based on how potent our offense was. This type of hockey seems more sustainable

This is the major difference.

If McDavid and Drai were hovering around a PPG with a mediocre power play under Woodcroft we probably would have been 6-10 in the last stretch instead of 16-0. Have we had goaltending? Yes, but we have also been stalwart in defending in the third period almost every game which was unheard of under Woody.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This outlines the problem with Woodcroft. Never learned from mistakes, the same problems persisted. Shitty camp last year lead to a shitty camp this year. Shitty start last year lead to a shitty start this year. Didn't have the team prepared for any Game 1 ever. Team showed no signs at any point under him of truly maturing.

I'm happy to agree with some/all of this, but I think it was pretty clear that the problem on a more macro level was that Ekholm filled a gaping hole on the roster that was holding the team back from being a true contender.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm happy to agree with some/all of this, but I think it was pretty clear that the problem on a more macro level was that Ekholm filled a gaping hole on the roster that was holding the team back from being a true contender.

100% a part of it, but Ekholm was also on the team when bad habits re-emerged in the playoffs last year (speaks to Woodcroft's perpetual issues preparing the team for anything) before the wheels came off entirely this year.

Only difference between last year's start and this year's? McDavid and Drai lit it up last October/November/December and the power play was hot. Other than that the team was playing the same shitty brand of hockey two years in a row to start. If not for those two dragging the team to about .500 by around the start of 2023 we might be sitting here talking about Woodcroft being fired around this time last season. It's far from a first time occurrence, we just didn't have a redundancy (McDrai + PP) that made the coach look good kick in this time when everything else was bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad