Player Discussion Kris Knoblauch: Don’t Judge a Knob By Its Polish

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Coaches have different qualities that they excel at, just like players. Some players are awesome on one team and are awful on another.

Knob is the perfect coach for this team. He knows how to handle the superstars, he doesn't seem the type to spoil them or put them on a pedestal. He expects the same from everyone regardless of skill. He gets the most out of the bottom 6, probably really good encouraging, letting them know how important they are to the group. He doesn't over coach (doesn't think he's smarter than anyone else) He's not stubborn, he adapts. He believes in himself and his players, he doesn't panic.

We don't know what he's like behind the scenes but I can almost guarantee you, the players love him.

What I'm most encouraged by is that he's the kind of coach that would have longevity with a team. His technique, style, personality, won't "get old" with the players.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Remember his first press conference when everyone was basically ready to throw in the towel on the season (and for some, the entire McDrai era)?

Well, his pressers are still like that, but guess what? Guy is a damn good coach.

I remember people freaking out about the news.

I think his first press conference was pretty well received though.

I do have about 6 people blocked so who knows. Lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looks like Knoblauch managed to unteach the Oilers to play "Oilers hockey". You can't win a Stanley Cup playing as if we're still in the 1980s.
The juxtaposition last night was on full display. One coach coaching to the aspects that his lineup do best. For KK/Coffey that is having the Big D make plays, police net, stay structured. For forwards its gain zone, establish posession, cycle teams to death, get to net with filthy scoring talent.

For the Leafs it was defend passively in own zone (Leafs are horrible at that) allow the cycle, sometimes endlessly, and when you have the puck dump it in, always dump it in. For the Leafs to be doing this with their personal doesn't matchup to any of their strengths and skillsets.

Its incredible at the highest rung of hockey theres coaches that will stick with their edict of how the team should be playing rather than matching tactics to the players you have.

That the Leafs were expecting any success dumping the puck in to our big physical D was playing right into our hands. Its what we'd want them to be doing. Leafs are best as a quick rush club, but they were handing the puck over all night by dumping it in. McLellan is Killing the Kings now in LA with the same philosophy.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

There were a lot "McDavid is running the show, hired his Junior coach" added to "wtf is Coffey going to do he never played defense in his life"

Knobs I was okay with as he did work his way through the ranks. Coffey I had no idea that he would be any good.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There were a lot "McDavid is running the show, hired his Junior coach" added to "wtf is Coffey going to do he never played defense in his life"

Knobs I was okay with as he did work his way through the ranks. Coffey I had no idea that he would be any good.
One day GM McDavid will have a nice ring to it

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Most people, me included, were freaking out over how he sounded uncertain and not confident during that first presser.

Turns out most of us were wrong.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012

If you watch any of Knob's pressers on youtube there are still a bunch of people crying about Woodcroft's firing lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Coaches have different qualities that they excel at, just like players. Some players are awesome on one team and are awful on another.

Knob is the perfect coach for this team. He knows how to handle the superstars, he doesn't seem the type to spoil them or put them on a pedestal. He expects the same from everyone regardless of skill. He gets the most out of the bottom 6, probably really good encouraging, letting them know how important they are to the group. He doesn't over coach (doesn't think he's smarter than anyone else) He's not stubborn, he adapts. He believes in himself and his players, he doesn't panic.

We don't know what he's like behind the scenes but I can almost guarantee you, the players love him.

What I'm most encouraged by is that he's the kind of coach that would have longevity with a team. His technique, style, personality, won't "get old" with the players.
I think one of the issues with Woody is that he seemed like an immature guy himself. Just very boisterous and arrogant.

Hard for the players to mature and play a mature game if the coach himself is immature.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Man what a difference between Woody and Knob, so happy to never see the 11-7 again.

If I recall didnt Woody come in and do the same thing, bring a team together, play all 4 lines? Lets hope Knob doesnt fall into the trap that both Tippett and Woody did before him.

I dont know whos decision it was to bring in Coffey as a D coach, but they deserve alot alot of credit

Reactions: Mr Positive

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Most people, me included, were freaking out over how he sounded uncertain and not confident during that first presser.

He gave that sense. I was much the same although I also had a good feeling about the Saskie boy. Turns out he’s just a coach without a lot of pretence in his approach, calls a spade a shovel when he has to and isnt prone to bullshitting. As someone here said, treats everyone “the same” in terms of expecting them to deliver what he knows they are capable of (not to be confused that he expects Connor Brown to be Connor McDavid).

He's still not polished in his delivery and I like that. He’s honest. He actually reminds me of a young Darryl Sutter, before DS got crusty and lost his mind.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The fact that he's been able to get the team to buy in to playing the right way, not rushing things and just playing a patient game has been nothing short of a miracle. That was the big problem with Woody at times not to mention the constant lines in a blender. Knobblauch hates change and keeps everything mostly the same. The lines, the PK players etc. It then breeds chemistry and familiarity.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Remember his first press conference when everyone was basically ready to throw in the towel on the season (and for some, the entire McDrai era)?

Well, his pressers are still like that, but guess what? Guy is a damn good coach.

Really think Woody was twisting himself in knots after Cassidy ate his lunch. Woody was really exposed for his inability to coach an effective system and adapt. He may learn in time, but we didn't have time for it. Clearly the Knob has been much faster to push a system that properly complimented what we have. Been a remarkable turnaround and it's awesome to see wins without depending on the PP. Hope we keep rolling!

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I recall Rangers fans telling us (right after we signed him) that his teams are known to play with good offensive pace and we are definitely seeing that come to fruition.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
He gave that sense. I was much the same although I also had a good feeling about the Saskie boy. Turns out he’s just a coach without a lot of pretence in his approach, calls a spade a shovel when he has to and isnt prone to bullshitting. As someone here said, treats everyone “the same” in terms of expecting them to deliver what he knows they are capable of (not to be confused that he expects Connor Brown to be Connor McDavid).

He's still not polished in his delivery and I like that. He’s honest. He actually reminds me of a young Darryl Sutter, before DS got crusty and lost his mind.
Crusty Darryl Sutter is the most entertaining Darryl Sutter!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Most of the people that appear confident from the outset are self absorbed. They're the people that do really well in interviews but not necessarily in the jobs. Take somebody like Eakins. I recognized narcissist in first day.

People that are thoughtful tend not to be loud, sometimes are not initially forthright, and take their time settling in and giving answers. To give answers before knowing what the problems are is deceit.

Charlatans are the people that come across as full of chutzpah, they sell snake oil. You find this type on car lots. They'll smile the right way, say some things, they hit you up like its their first nature. You're not in the showroom for 5 secs and they're talking at you. I walk away from those types. They want their interests taken care of, not mine.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think one of the issues with Woody is that he seemed like an immature guy himself. Just very boisterous and arrogant.

Hard for the players to mature and play a mature game if the coach himself is immature.
One of my constant criticisms of Woody is he was somebody that would grandstand and take credit. He was so boisterous and petulant there he is tapping fingers waiting for Sutter to shake his hand as if victory was Woody's . A little Napoleon. Its the problem and fault with people like Woody, Eakins and also MacTavish. Their favorite people are THEMSELVES.

When Mactavish came back from his looking for an assistant coach trip and instead found a headcoach and said. "This guy (Eakins) impressed me so much that he thought just like me" I was troubled by that. I knew what it meant. That MacT had been conned. Worse that he found another coach that like him, looked down on present day players. Its not accidental that both had run in's with players. Its because they thought they were better than the players. Lowe has that conceit as well. All of the above would regularly talk down to players, even to fans. If people are curious, on the football side Ed Hervey was another one of those. No room was big enough for his head. Typically these sorts of people last awhile but have a downfall when their hubris catches up to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad