Injury Report: Kreider fully cleared to play

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have to believe Kreider will be back in full force next season, because I just can't bear the thought of another NYR first rounder suffering some type of crazy career limiting/ending situation.

Personally I would put M Staal into that bucket as well. Best looking stretch of his career was leading up to the injury.
Cherneski, Blackburn, Cherepanov. Kloucek wasn't a high pick but he looked like a potential impact defender until he had the injury. Jessiman was probably a bust either way, but he did have the knee injury as well which didn't help. You could say the same for McIlrath--probably a bust but the injuries didn't help for sure. And yeah, Staal. We've had some bad luck for sure, and that's just like the past 20 years.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not accusing you in general, I know what you mean and I may have been overly aggressive in my tone, but... it's how you worded it.

Except it's a joke of a comment. I've been effusive in praise for Hank since he turned his beginning of the season around. He's been as good as he's ever been and quite possibly played some of the best hockey of his career as of late. The fact that you were so insecure as to ignore that with your comment speaks volumes.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's no voodoo just because they put on a Rangers sweater. Can't really group Kreider and Staal with those other guys. Both have been playing for years. Kreider should be back if he's healthy.

Injuries happen. Not every first round draft pick is going to play a full 82 games and 10+ years in the league.

Kreider's injury is a freak thing but the game he plays, those guys tend to break down by the time they're 31.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
A blood clot is not a career ending injury once its successfully treated. If so Hayes would not be playing and he almost died from his. And that dude in Pittsburgh had a freaking stroke and he's still playing. It depends on the player but a blood clot doesn't end your career. It will absolutely kill you if left untreated but Kreider is already treated. They just have to play it safe. But once its dissolved and his vascular and muscular systems alright he can play 100% again.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
This is nuts...

Then in the fall, I started to have some trouble breathing. I’d be out of breath sometimes when I never had before. I’d come to the bench tired after shifts, even some shorter ones, I was having a harder time recovering, and I really couldn’t figure it out. For two or three weeks there, I was coughing up blood at times, but I never said anything. I mean, you never really feel that good during the season, so I thought that it was just part of it.

And then when we came back after the [Christmas] break, I woke up the morning of the Washington game and my right arm was numb,” said the 26-year-old workout machine. “I figured maybe I’d slept on it the wrong way. But then after the first period my arm had swollen to basically twice its size and the docs took a look at it and could see that the circulation had been completely cut off and got me to the hospital immediately.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
It will still be a while before he can come back.

I doubt he plays until sometime in March.
I was with the group that thought he should sit the rest of the year. No reason to risk injury in a down year. Also didn't think he would be able to return at the 6-8 week mark they mentioned.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was with the group that thought he should sit the rest of the year. No reason to risk injury in a down year. Also didn't think he would be able to return at the 6-8 week mark they mentioned.
I have to agree. It would be an all-risk and no-reward scenario.

Reactions: Cheapshot

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yeah the 8 week mark is probably what we're looking at for him to get back to full practices. It's one thing to get off of blood thinners, its another to be cleared for contact.

This isn't a thing where if the player comes back too early he risks re injuring himself, in this case re injury can be death so airing on the side of caution is the way they'll go.

Reactions: Cheapshot

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah the 8 week mark is probably what we're looking at for him to get back to full practices. It's one thing to get off of blood thinners, its another to be cleared for contact.

This isn't a thing where if the player comes back too early he risks re injuring himself, in this case re injury can be death so airing on the side of caution is the way they'll go.
Not sure how long it takes for blood thinners to work their way out of the system but i thought it was less than a week.
Exciting to see him ready for practice but i'm with everyone if its safer medically to wait another 2-3 weeks

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not sure how long it takes for blood thinners to work their way out of the system but i thought it was less than a week.
Exciting to see him ready for practice but i'm with everyone if its safer medically to wait another 2-3 weeks

Its about a week but that itself isnt the issue.

Not only does he have to work himself back into shape (he hasn't been able to do a whole lot of anything for a while now) they also have to make sure that he is 150% ready to go and that this won't become an issue again.

Early March seems like the optimistic target if everything goes well, I'd guess mid March would be a better bet, especially if the FO really doesn't care about a playoff spot.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Its about a week but that itself isnt the issue.

Not only does he have to work himself back into shape (he hasn't been able to do a whole lot of anything for a while now) they also have to make sure that he is 150% ready to go and that this won't become an issue again.

Early March seems like the optimistic target if everything goes well, I'd guess mid March would be a better bet, especially if the FO really doesn't care about a playoff spot.

If the health concern wasn't directly due to a clotting problem (which seems to be the case from all i'm reading) then that issue shouldn't be an factor anymore. Seems like the surgery corrected that.
None of us are experts in this i'm guess so when he comes back is still anyone's guess.

Youre Dam Tyutin

Oct 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Good for Chris, glad to hear he's doing well. If this injury taght us anything it's that he really is the main driver of offense on this team.

Having said that, I am 100% ok with him sitting out the rest of the year, no need to to make the playoffs and get smoked out of the first round when we could get a top 8-10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad