Injury Report: Kreider fully cleared to play

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If we should sell than so should Columbus Long Island Pittsburgh Washington And NJ should ship out their older guys too and keep building because we’re all right on top of each other in the standings.

Should we all just give Tampa the cup mid season? They’re the only ones that shouldn’t be sellers?

Every indication is they want to bring Nash back.

That leaves Desharnais Holden and Grabner left to deal. Ufa rentals unless superstars don’t bring back first rounders anymore very rare. So let that dream die.

Holden isn’t going to get you squat and neither is Desharnais so for a few 2nd or 3rd rounders I rather take another shot at the Cup while we still can.

The argument isn't based on the current standings as much as it is on the state of the organization as a whole. It isn't just about this year.

I want to win as much as anyone. So does everyone who has suggested that we sell. I think we are better served by saving our assets, getting more assets where we can, and building for the future than we are throwing our limited assets away in an effort to raise our chances from 5% to 6%, or whatever the number might be. I understand if we don't sell based on our position in the standings, but at the same time I can't advocate spending assets to try to improve our chances. We have been doing that for the last 10 years and there's next to nothing left.

It's because Gorton traded Brassard that we have Mika. It's because Gorton traded Stepan that we have ADA and Andersson. I suppose we could have traded away our 1st last year for yet another quick fix and we wouldn't have Chytil either.

If you only have a 1 year plan, you have no plan at all.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
- The horrid start
- The horrid defense
- The inconsistent PP
- The injuries (Zbad, Kreider... ?)
- Regression of McD / Smith
- Hank standing on his head
- No #2 center (or #3 if you would rather)
- AV's system
- Constantly not ready to play or flat out no show in games as a team
- No #2 D man
- Minimum 2 very sell-able assets in Nash and Grabs (Holden... ehhhhhhhhh) who will be UFA
- Sellers market
- A VERY strong draft ahead

Everything screams sell, but we won't.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Most of this stuff is nonsense, but this injury is a reason for me to give up on this season.

At best we are even with everyone besides TB. But with Kreider out it's honestly hard to even get excited about any games. A blow like that just feels like a season killer.

I wouldn't consider selling anyone if he didn't get hurt, now I think we probably should. It's a shame to lose a season. Some people don't realize it's not as simple as gathering assets and plugging them in. We've done it for years, but not how people here want us to. 1st round picks arent thr only way. Weve traded hoards of them yet still develop and work in talent. It's not that people take it for granted, they just flat out don't realize how well run the team is. We trade 1sts so we have no vision is what most seem to think. We have good leadership and I trust them. Hope the next 12 years are as good as the last.

Despite my overall positivity about the leadership, I still don't get the ADA love. Guy can't make it to the NHL and people are putting him in the same breath as Zib, LA and Chytill. I'm sure it's AVs fault he's in the minors, just like he's still holding McIlrath back.

Last edited:
Reactions: yrrebbor

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo it’s pretty obvious that the team is in a transition. I wouldn’t buy but wouldn’t sell wholesale either.

First thing I’d do is talk to Grabner about what kind of deal he wants. If it’s reasonable, lock him up and trade Nash assuming you can get a first or early second for him. Grabner brings a ton to the table. If Grabner wants a serious payday, that’s his right but we shouldn’t give it to him. Move him too in that case if you can get a first or early second.

Imo the big plan should be to see how Lias and Chytil look next year, ADA too for that matter. If they can come up and contribute for real, the team will be entering a new phase and should think about buying at that next deadline if they’re placed well.

It’s clear as day that we have players who are essentially stopgaps for those guys right now though and given that we’re not likely to win. Desharnais, for example, isn’t part of the big picture - he’s a warm body who can sometimes play passably and is holding a spot that Lias or Chytil will take next year. 3C is too important a position to have a player like DD in an think you’re going to win a cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He was slightly down all year. I mean, he was good, but not dominant like he usually is.

I wonder how long this was bothering him. Blood clots can start out as simple pain for quite some time before the signs become obvious, and when you play professional hockey, pain is normal.

Reactions: egelband

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Most of this stuff is nonsense, but this injury is a reason for me to give up on this season.

At best we are even with everyone besides TB. But with Kreider out it's honestly hard to even get excited about any games. A blow like that just feels like a season killer.

I wouldn't consider selling anyone if he didn't get hurt, now I think we probably should. It's a shame to lose a season. Some people don't realize it's not as simple as gathering assets and plugging them in. We've done it for years, but not how people here want us to. 1st round picks arent thr only way. Weve traded hoards of them yet still develop and work in talent. It's not that people take it for granted, they just flat out don't realize how well run the team is. We trade 1sts so we have no vision is what most seem to think. We have good leadership and I trust them. Hope the next 12 years are as good as the last.

Despite my overall positivity about the leadership, I still don't get the ADA love. Guy can't make it to the NHL and people are putting him in the same breath as Zib, LA and Chytill. I'm sure it's AVs fault he's in the minors, just like he's still holding McIlrath back.
As far as I'm concerned, at this point in Hank's storied career, the season starts in April.

If we don't get him back by then, one of our only true playoff type game breakers we have left, yeah we're done in.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He was slightly down all year. I mean, he was good, but not dominant like he usually is.

I wonder how long this was bothering him. Blood clots can start out as simple pain for quite some time before the signs become obvious, and when you play professional hockey, pain is normal.
Yeah, he never seemed at top level this season. Still, Kreider at 75% is a difference maker.

His puck retrieval, board play and net front presence are so noticeably missed when he's out. It feels like nobody else on the team can do any of those things anywhere remotely close to the level that CK can.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa

I wouldn't consider selling anyone if he didn't get hurt, now I think we probably should. It's a shame to lose a season.

If you are giving up on a season after losing one player, Kreider , then we have bigger problems.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I really hope part of his recovery is that he can't watch the team. Can't be healthy for his stress levels. Would love to be a fly on the wall in CK20's house as he watches this team get pummeled.

Get back soon, but get back healthy.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Kreider may have a career ending illness here. I would be surprised to see him back this season tbh.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You don't know that. I heard 8-12 weeks. We can only hope he makes it back for the playoffs assuming they make it.

FWIW he's had a rib taken out of his body--- as in it's gone forever. From what I understand he will be 100% with no lingering issues when he's healed but it's going to take time. And FWIW again even if he could make it back for the playoffs he's going to be so far out of game shape that it probably won't be even worth his trying to make it back....and the team might be toast by then anyway as in our making or not making the playoffs is going to be accomplished without him. The Rangers in any case will have to move ahead with the idea he is not going to be around to help them make the playoffs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I heard the blood clot was in his arm--caused maybe by an injury to his rotator cuff or somewhere between his shoulder and neck and that basically what happened is a major vein was pinched between his upper rib and the injured area which is why the blood clot formed and that once the rib is out that relieves the area and he should be good to go once he heals with no real repercussions but it's going to be a while. Now I'm a layman but even if the 6-8 week thing were for real--he would still need two-three weeks just to train and get in some kind of condition relative to game shape and IMO he's going to run out of time where he can make a meaningful contribution. In any case you have a rib taken out of your body I think you're going to need more than 6 to 8 weeks to heal.

One way or another though I think people should get use to the idea that there's a good chance he's not coming back this year.....and that even if he does he might not make much of an impact.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I doubt he comes back this year. He really shouldn't. This is not something you mess with. Plus Kreider's game is balls to the wall violent. I don't think its in his best interest to move his huge body full speed and crash into things after recovering from a blood clot. He should shut it down the rest of the season. At the very least until the playoffs. And even then iffy.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I have to believe Kreider will be back in full force next season, because I just can't bear the thought of another NYR first rounder suffering some type of crazy career limiting/ending situation.

Personally I would put M Staal into that bucket as well. Best looking stretch of his career was leading up to the injury.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad