Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jonathan Quick

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
I may be completely wrong here but should we not have had a 5 on 3 after the Zibs goal. We are on the pk and there is a delayed penalty on Montreal. Our penalty does not expire they challenge the call and get a second penalty. The goal shouldn’t cancel either penalty as we are still on the pk and the second penalty is post goal. So the goal she be equivalent to scoring a goal in a 4 on 4 situation.

Reactions: egelband

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Every game....his swagger is coming along nicely . I would love to see him in the top 6 but....I guess he has lots of time for that . They have to make some adjustments now with Wheeler gone . Maybe we see it....
Just when that line found an identity for itself, do they break it up moving Cools or Kakko up there?

They may have to. Kakko would be the likely choice since it keeps Kreider on his wing

Reactions: leetch99

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Im really excited about the future of this team. The one thing theyre missing is some dirtbags in the lineup, at the moment no ones afraid of us and were too easy to play against.

With that said, I know alot of people are disappointed in Kakko since he was #2 overall but maybe his role is just being an elite 3rd line winger. And if thats the case is it the worst thing in the world if our right wing depth for the next decade is Laff, Kakko and Perrault?

The way I see it for the next decade

RW- Laff, Perrault, Kakko
LW- Cuylle and Othmann (middle 6 LW’s and then sign a 1st line LW via UFA)
C- Need to build organizational depth/sign through UFA but set here for next 3 years
D- Fox, Schneider, Kandre
G- Igor

Coming up that will fill in 4th line roles- edstrom, berard, sykora, mcconnell-barker

This is why im fine with dishing a 1st, perhaps even an additional 3rd for a guy like vatrano so we can truly go for it this year
Honestly Vatrano doesn’t move the needle. I wouldn’t spend a 1st on him. He’s not the difference between winning and losing a series. Middling pick or middling prospect for a guy like him. He’s not getting PP1 here and without the powerplay he’s at 14G 9A. Not worth it. If a team needs a PP1 winger he may be worth it to them, but that ain’t us. Would not give up more than a 3rd for him.

I was happy with the Kakko goal but if you look at it closely, when the lane opened, he still kinda hesitated before he realized he could drive the net. Then, once he drove the net, he took a cautious peripheral route that only brought the puck back towards the middle of the ice right before he shot (and got a little bit of puck luck in that Montembault let it in). I'm glad he's taking the initiative, but there's still a bit about his "power" play that's not decisive enough yet. As soon as the D blew a tire, he should have made a beeline for the net and carried the puck in hard right at the goalie. The screen was solid and the other D wasn't going to backfill the open lane.

Against a better team, he might not get that space, or strong side coverage will realize what happened and switch to him so he faces pressure earlier. And of course a stronger goalie doesn't let it in from that angle. Not criticizing him, as I'm glad he drove the net and got rewarded, but it's worth noting.

It's just a read that he's just not making yet. Still glad he got rewarded for taking the puck to the net though. Hopefully it helps reinforce the habit and he can work on the finer points as he goes.
Yeah. Thats a confidence thing. This goal will help that.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Trocheck stole Lafreniere's goal.

Kakko hasn't had many games where he looked that confident in the offensive zone. Given how much of his time he spends in there, if he can keep building off of his play this game, defenders on opposing teams will soon be dreading having to deal with that line.

They need a Chytil level center on that line bad.

Reactions: Rongomania

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I may be completely wrong here but should we not have had a 5 on 3 after the Zibs goal. We are on the pk and there is a delayed penalty on Montreal. Our penalty does not expire they challenge the call and get a second penalty. The goal shouldn’t cancel either penalty as we are still on the pk and the second penalty is post goal. So the goal she be equivalent to scoring a goal in a 4 on 4 situation.
It was handled correctly.
There’s a delayed penalty, the goal cancels that out.
Then there was a challenge, it was lost, that gives the rangers a power play which they had.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah. Thats a confidence thing. This goal will help that.

The guy is scared shitless on the ice. They seriously need an intervention and something to boost him up in practice. He has the ability.

Slafkofsky is what Kakko should be.

Reactions: bhamill

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Zibs goal negated the delayed penalty, regardless of whether we're on the PK or not

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Oh stop. Brodzinski is fine in that spot. Just because his name is no-frills and he doesn't have some sort of pedigree. Girardi carved out a fine career undrafted.

We're the fourth best team in the league, guys and girls.
He's fine and I think he's been effective but they're still not an overall threat to score, ideally you'd like a little more offensive punch. Kakko has a long history of not providing that and Cuylle is still figuring out how to create his offense. It's a line I could see going 8+ games scoreless.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It was handled correctly.
There’s a delayed penalty, the goal cancels that out.
Then there was a challenge, it was lost, that gives the rangers a power play which they had.
Not when you are killing a penalty. You do not stay short-handed.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A win is a win but that was ugly. The defense was BAD. Fox had 4 assists but he couldn't cover anyone in his own zone. Miller and Trouba each threw a pass directly to Montreal players within 10 seconds in one shift. They've got to get better defensively.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He's fine and I think he's been effective but they're still not an overall threat to score, ideally you'd like a little more offensive punch. Kakko has a long history of not providing that and Cuylle is still figuring out how to create his offense. It's a line I could see going 8+ games scoreless.
The line has around a 60 expected goals share. Cuylle right now is considerably more dangerous than earlier in the season. He looks comfortable and confident in his game. Kakko is coming around playing with Cuylle with them working the walls. Cuylle and Brodzinski are good together and familiar with each other.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He might have missed it but I asked @Machinehead if he had Brodzinski's entry numbers.

I suspect that he's been carrying the load there. If you're going to replace him, they need to do so with someone who can continue doing that.

An upgrade would be nice, but it needs to be an upgrade on what Brodz is already bringing to the table and not someone who is completely different aside from perhaps someone who is just a retrieval monster.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Not when you are killing a penalty. You do not stay short-handed.

Not true. Any goal scored on a delayed minor penalty negates the penalty, regardless of on-ice strength.

Delayed penalty.
Goal negates delayed penalty.
NYR continues to be shorthanded, 4 on 5.
Goal is challenged.
Unsuccessful challenge results in a MTL penalty, teams now skate 4 aside.
NYR penalty ends, Rangers PP 5 on 4 when Trocheck exits box.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Man i wish Laf scored after skating on one leg.

He is frustrating to me. I see the skill, just the finish he needs, and consistency
I see plenty of finish and consistency now.
He could easily have 10 more points if other people could finish.
That would be 40ish points in 50ish games, without major pp time. That’s a top line player.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
how is it possible we out hit montreal, I saw them throwing checks all night long and us well not throwing them. I think any time we just skate for a puck and give a tiny little love tap they credit it for a hit,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille