Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He specifically left because he was afraid the owner at the time couldn't pay his contract. He left for a contract in Russia that was shorter in term and would have paid him even more then his contract with New Jersey. The Russian Economy collapsing meant he didn't get more money then if he stayed here. So, actually, yea. He did basically leave for more money at the most inopportune time.

Couldn’t pay the contract he insisted on

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
He made it clear he wants to win the Cup. And he does not have much time left. My guess is he is going to sign with an obvious contender or stay in St.Peterburg
And like that is the avs are contender
landeskog-mack-rantanen
kovy-tavares-Jost

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'm pretty sure the Kovalchuk/Devils split was mutual. I don't really get the hatred for Kovy. He's one of the most exciting players in the world. And he stuck it out for years as the only good player on a failing franchise in Atlanta.

He's gonna come back and make some team look pretty smart IMO

Reactions: KapG

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Don't really get the Kovy hate. Lou came out and said that Kovalchuk had discussed leaving several times with him in the seasons leading up to his departure. It wasn't a shock or surprise to the front office. He said he wanted to get his kids back to Russia so they could experience it like he did. He's not the first expat to say that and won't be the last. I don't know how worrying about your family suddenly makes you greedy and selfish. Seems like quite the opposite. If he was greedy and selfish he probably would have told his wife to suck it up or go back to Russia by herself.

If that's the case, you don't make your free agent decision turn into "days of our lives 2.0" by taking your sweet time to extract every single penny you can out of a 17 year deal.

If that was the case and he'd have his family's best interest, he wouldn't of jerked the Devils and the Kings, he would've accepted a "normal" contract (length wise) and moved on once his contract was over.

I'm glad he's gone and I couldn't care less if he were to come back since I know he won't be on my team. Anyways, we got a hybrid version of Parise and Kovalchuk in Taylor Hall and that's just fine by me.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If that's the case, you don't make your free agent decision turn into "days of our lives 2.0" by taking your sweet time to extract every single penny you can out of a 17 year deal.

If that was the case and he'd have his family's best interest, he wouldn't of jerked the Devils and the Kings, he would've accepted a "normal" contract (length wise) and moved on once his contract was over.

I'm glad he's gone and I couldn't care less if he were to come back since I know he won't be on my team. Anyways, we got a hybrid version of Parise and Kovalchuk in Taylor Hall and that's just fine by me.
Yeah people seem to forget the ridiculous drama he injected into getting his deal. He's not a "team guy" imo, and while he's still producing well in the KHL, he's not a kid. I don't want him on NYR while we're trying to bring up a bunch of kids and teach them to be pros and I don't think he wants to come here right now if he's looking to win.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
It would be pointless for the Rangers to sign Kovy BUT I wouldn't be opposed.. He signs with the Rangers for a 3 year deal, then we deal him during the TDL for kings ransom.

I doubt he signs considering were one of the worst teams nowadays

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It would be pointless for the Rangers to sign Kovy BUT I wouldn't be opposed.. He signs with the Rangers for a 3 year deal, then we deal him during the TDL for kings ransom.

So you think a 37 year old with a crippled back will return a Kings ransom?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

A king's ransom for Kovalchuk? Why would he sign 3 years with a rebuilding team that will likely trade him to a place he has no control over? Your logic confuses me?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Depending on price him replacing JVR could be interesting.

Hyman-Matthews-Brown/Kappanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kovalchuck-Nylander-Brown/Kapanen

Would be some insane 3 line depth, would be a jerk to match up against.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He is not leaving Russia to join just any team! Would expect most teams would not be on his list! As for salary would expect 2 year contract around 5 million a season.

Last edited:

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
With all of the crazy cap rules I have a question. Say in the scenario where say the Rangers decide to sign Tavares as a free agent. I know a crazy scenario, but play along.

They know that they will have a young and inexpensive team for 2 to 3 years , and hopefully a playoff team when the youngsters develop. Can they front load a contract. Say a five year deal with 10mill first and second year , then 7 for two years and 6 in last year. As the team matures around him , he becomes more affordable and perhaps if things don't work out tradeable. Under current rules is that doable or do they make the teams average cost over term of contract for cap purposes.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last summer it was reported Toronto was on the list of teams he was interested in. I could see the Leafs being interested in him, if he still is/was interested in coming to Toronto.

The "eye" on New York doesn't really make sense to me. Rangers are fully committed to the rebuild, Buffalo is Buffalo, I don't think he wants to go back to New Jersey, the Islanders are kinda in a limbo, but if Tavares re-signs it makes them appealing.

Boston is in that 'Metro' area I suppose. That would make sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With all of the crazy cap rules I have a question. Say in the scenario where say the Rangers decide to sign Tavares as a free agent. I know a crazy scenario, but play along.

They know that they will have a young and inexpensive team for 2 to 3 years , and hopefully a playoff team when the youngsters develop. Can they front load a contract. Say a five year deal with 10mill first and second year , then 7 for two years and 6 in last year. As the team matures around him , he becomes more affordable and perhaps if things don't work out tradeable. Under current rules is that doable or do they make the teams average cost over term of contract for cap purposes.

Cap Hit is average salary. Front-Loading only really helps with tradability

Reactions: dumpin

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I'm sure that some team will take a chance on him. However, backing out of his contract and quitting his team the moment they stopped paying him at the rate he though he was worth will in all likelihood mean that he will not be getting paid anywhere near where he probably thinks he is worth.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Hope he goes to a team I don't like.
Honestly, do not want him near the leafs! To much like Yashin in regards of ditching team. Could see some team might risk it but not for 4+ years.. Be lucky to land a 2 year contract based on being out of nhl for so long.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think it would be hilarious if he stayed until like 44 years old or whatever ridiculous age he was set to play until under the original Devils contract that was voided

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad