Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I'm not really sure how newsworthy this is since I think everyone assumed he'd be back when his contract was up with New Jersey anyways, this just confirms it.

Fresh off an Olympic gold medal and MVP award, rumored destinations have usually been with the Rangers, Florida's been mentioned too. Any guesses?

5 years out of the league, age 35.

“I congratulate Pasha, he deserved that. It is very honourable to be a member of the Triple Gold Club He is a real captain of the team, I am incredibly happy for him,” said 34-year-old Kovalchuk. “He will be 40 soon, and I still have five or six years, so I will be trying hard
Ilya Kovalchuk: The Quest For The Ultimate Goal Begins - Last Word on Hockey

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He won't be as good as he was when he left, but he'll still be a good Top6 Winger for whoever picks him up. Look for a Team that has a friend of his and can contend.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
You've gotta wonder when players are gonna stop doing this. If the league was any good, they wouldn't keep coming back to the NHL.

It is a good league that plays a very different style, but you can make more money in the NHL.

KHL is also economically unsustainable because it is mostly a hobby and political tool for filthy rich oligarchs who do not care much about making a profit.

Reactions: Mork

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Happy to hear. Hell of a player and whoever signs him will be making a worthy investment.

Gotta be a sour taste for the Devils tho

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Imagine if he signs with the Flames, that shot would surely make us contenders, or if he goes back to NJ cause they're actually looking pretty set up for the future.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
why should he sign it?

It'll be more like the right Situation with Money and term.

Other factors are a strong playoff team and he might want to join to play with some other Russian NHL star this time.

Apparently he said something along the lines that money is not why he is coming back. He wants to win the cup (source: Finnish media).

You can probably narrow the list of teams he would join to a pretty low number if the factors I mentioned above are what he is after or is willing to do.

I'm going to guess that he takes a big salary cut and goes to some already super stacked team. For example he could take a 50% cut of his worth and go to Pittsburgh to join Malkin. With 3.5-4mil salary they can make cap space for him right?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Kovy should come to the Rangers.

Gets to live in NY
Gets probably more money than he deserves
Gets to mentor the kids on our rebuild

Will really be good for Rykov and Shestyorkin to have Ilya around to show them the ways in NY.
If only we could get the rights to Gusev we would be golden.

Buch, Rykov, Shestyorking, Kovy, Gusev

SKA Rangers

Reactions: Nemec

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I'd love him on the Kings for the right price. Tried to sign him when NJ did (glad we didn't), but he'd probably go somewhere else. It would be fun to see him on the Panthers with Dadonov and Barkov as mentioned above.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad