Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably whoever offers him the most money, even if it's the Honolulu Hula Hoops.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Exciting news, he has always been one of my favorite players.

Yeah. Always loved watching him play. I'd welcome him on the Canucks, though it would do very little good for anyone at this point. Watching him at the Olympics though, he's just not the same player anymore. The wheels are going. He's still got that lethal shot, and he's still a big guy and an extremely talented player...just not sure how it's really going to go for a guy coming back to the NHL game at that age, and slowing down noticeably. There's not so much room to operate in the NHL.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Zero chance Kovy signs with the NYR seeing as their cup window is beyond closed and will not be a good team for at least another decade minimum.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
You've gotta wonder when players are gonna stop doing this. If the league was any good, they wouldn't keep coming back to the NHL.

I don't wonder about it. Some Russian guys want to live and work in their home country instead of living in a foreign land halfway around the world. Plus, they are embraced like heroes back home. Not everyone cares about money all the time. It's not really that hard to figure out. Obviously the KHL is much lower level than the NHL, but no one is denying it's the 2nd best league in the world. I guess it's not surprising that some North American fans wouldn't get it.

Reactions: uncleben85

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would guess he signs with Tampa, but hard to say because they can't afford him unless he decides to take a cut.

If he wants money he'll sign with the Rangers or Leafs.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Zero chance Kovy signs with the NYR seeing as their cup window is beyond closed and will not be a good team for at least another decade minimum.

A decade? Seriously!

I'd say we will need to see who they pick up in free agency and the draft before anyone has an idea of how long the re-build will take.

Reactions: bl02

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
It is a good league that plays a very different style, but you can make more money in the NHL.

KHL is also economically unsustainable because it is mostly a hobby and political tool for filthy rich oligarchs who do not care much about making a profit.
Maybe one of them oligarchs(great word) would be interested in buying the Senators.
Funny that Kovy looks like he would be leaning more toward the Rangers over the Devils. Devils are now a rising team while Rangers are about one week into their rebuild.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Leafs could offer him some coin short team. Would replace JvR. Depends how much he’s trying to make. Or if he’ll sign cheap, to try and win the cup.

Can move Nylander to Centre and have him play on Matthews or Nylanders wing. Would be awesome.

Reactions: TML1967

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I’m pretty petty and I’m not a devils fan about this whole situation. Don’t want him back in the NHL even if he magically turned ovechkin tier. f***ing stay in Russia you greedy dick

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I’m pretty petty and I’m not a devils fan about this whole situation. Don’t want him back in the NHL even if he magically turned ovechkin tier. ****ing stay in Russia you greedy dick
Judging from comments like that, you'd think other players play for free or something like that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Don't really get the Kovy hate. Lou came out and said that Kovalchuk had discussed leaving several times with him in the seasons leading up to his departure. It wasn't a shock or surprise to the front office. He said he wanted to get his kids back to Russia so they could experience it like he did. He's not the first expat to say that and won't be the last. I don't know how worrying about your family suddenly makes you greedy and selfish. Seems like quite the opposite. If he was greedy and selfish he probably would have told his wife to suck it up or go back to Russia by herself.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Don't really get the Kovy hate. Lou came out and said that Kovalchuk had discussed leaving several times with him in the seasons leading up to his departure. It wasn't a shock or surprise to the front office. He said he wanted to get his kids back to Russia so they could experience it like he did. He's not the first expat to say that and won't be the last. I don't know how worrying about your family suddenly makes you greedy and selfish. Seems like quite the opposite. If he was greedy and selfish he probably would have told his wife to suck it up or go back to Russia by herself.

Agreed 100%

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
so, can i ask a favour of the OP? i am guessing that you are following this thread closely, and probably have some sort of vested interest. can you give me (us) your opinion on who has the best chance of landing him? top 3, maybe? thx.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad