Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Right because every player who has their family's best interests in mind would turn down contracts to make less money because he's worried about a soap opera? What bizarro world do you come from? He signed a long term contract....1 year in he started worrying about his family noticing that they may not be happy in America (New Jersey most likely) and thought it was best to make the move back to Russia after giving them a couple more seasons to see if they could adjust.

Try to spin it any way you want but dem da facts.
Not to mention the money was pretty good in Russia at the time, too.

Otherwise, his family might have had to suck it up a bit.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Actually you can have it both ways. Maybe you can link the rule book that says you can't have it both ways.

Obviously you have never lived abroad and are as ethnocentric as it comes. I am an American living in Korea which is an excellent booming country with very little of the things that is making America a craphole country. However, it doesn't stop me from missing the comforts of home. So while you can sit there and make some stupid comment about Siberia like it is a wasteland because you probably don't even leave the basement you live in, it doesn't mean that the comforts that he grew up on are not valuable and preferred to him. America is a cesspool right now and now that I live abroad I can't help but laugh at the mindset of Americans who still think that their country is better than everyone else's.

As far as wanting to come back, his kids are older now. It would make more sense to come back now than trying to raise young children abroad. There is a rhyme and reason to it, you just can't get past your own internal biases to see it.

And let's assume you're right, which you're not, why commit to a 17 year deal, knowing you're not all that committed to running out your engagement? Does it make him egocentric, a shit teammate or both? Datsyuk wanted to go back home after fulfilling the engagements he signed up for and we all knew the late years of the deal was for that specific purpose... Kovalchuk didn't pass a 1/3 of his deal, while putting the franchise in a f***ed place financial wise and assets wise, when he got a shot at making the same coin for 3x faster.

You can spin this as an after school special if yo want but if the KHL would've offered him a 5 year deal worth 50M$, he would've loooooved beautiful NJ as of today and for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Schwartz-Tavares-Schenn
Kovalchuk-Fabbri-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Thompson
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov

Give that second line purely offensive and nz starts and let them go to work.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
And let's assume you're right, which you're not, why commit to a 17 year deal, knowing you're not all that committed to running out your engagement? Does it make him egocentric, a **** teammate or both? Datsyuk wanted to go back home after fulfilling the engagements he signed up for and we all knew the late years of the deal was for that specific purpose... Kovalchuk didn't pass a 1/3 of his deal, while putting the franchise in a ****ed place financial wise and assets wise, when he got a shot at making the same coin for 3x faster.

You can spin this as an after school special if yo want but if the KHL would've offered him a 5 year deal worth 50M$, he would've loooooved beautiful NJ as of today and for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

Well, I didn't realize you were the be all and end all as authority on who is right or wrong. Since I'm the only one going by what he said, if you have another source please share. Until you do, it's just conjecture on your part, which in simple words for you is guessing so you don't have to waste time going to the dictionary as you haphazardly try to retort.

We don't know if he already felt a lack of commitment to the NHL or not. He could have thought that it would be a nice situation and maybe the kids started watching "Jersey Shore" And he freaked out. I'm not going to make any guesses on that, I only know a lot can change in a year. If his wife loved where they were it wouldn't take long for her to be miserable.

As far as it screwing up the franchise, it was probably an act of mercy what Kovalchuk did. What kind of idiot signs a player to a deal that long other than Charles Wang. It was an idiotic deal to begin with and the Devils lucked out that they got an early exit from it. One of the few mishaps on Lou's part for sure.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
And let's assume you're right, which you're not, why commit to a 17 year deal, knowing you're not all that committed to running out your engagement? Does it make him egocentric, a **** teammate or both? Datsyuk wanted to go back home after fulfilling the engagements he signed up for and we all knew the late years of the deal was for that specific purpose... Kovalchuk didn't pass a 1/3 of his deal, while putting the franchise in a ****ed place financial wise and assets wise, when he got a shot at making the same coin for 3x faster.

Also still trying to figure out in the this post what I am "wrong about"? That you can't make lots of money and take care of your family? I'm curious what you are referring too.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
he defs wants to win a cup before he retires, dont see him going anywhere that isnt at least trying to win/ go into the playoffs.

yunita

Feb 2, 2018
good newshttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/33/o.png

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
I'm gonna guess he signs with the Rangers

they have alot of nice pieces and Henrik is still a good goalie. Draft in the top 5 and sign Kovalchuk and I think they can turn it around

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I still think he’s the best pure shooter I’ve ever watched, before him it was only Brett Hull. Ovie deserves a nod here in goal scoring overall obviously but when it came just to pure shooting this guy is legitimately one of the best to ever play. Every kind of shot from anywhere in the zone with accuracy and velocity. One of a kind player, hopefully he can still bring some of that.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
^ Which Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk 2012, or Kovalchuk 2018?

It has been six years since his last NHL season, and he was less than a PPG player in 2012-13.

It all seems a bit nostalgic to me.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
This is about as much is a secret as Shattenkirk signing with the Rangers the entire world with a brain knows he wants to sign with New York however I'm not sure the Rangers want him

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Well, I didn't realize you were the be all and end all as authority on who is right or wrong. Since I'm the only one going by what he said, if you have another source please share. Until you do, it's just conjecture on your part, which in simple words for you is guessing so you don't have to waste time going to the dictionary as you haphazardly try to retort.

We don't know if he already felt a lack of commitment to the NHL or not. He could have thought that it would be a nice situation and maybe the kids started watching "Jersey Shore" And he freaked out. I'm not going to make any guesses on that, I only know a lot can change in a year. If his wife loved where they were it wouldn't take long for her to be miserable.

As far as it screwing up the franchise, it was probably an act of mercy what Kovalchuk did. What kind of idiot signs a player to a deal that long other than Charles Wang. It was an idiotic deal to begin with and the Devils lucked out that they got an early exit from it. One of the few mishaps on Lou's part for sure.

They signed him to a dumb contract cause he made dumb demands. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out but hey, I'm sure Lou and Vanderbeek turned down a 8, 9 or 10 year deal and said to Kovalchuk... "Look, we want to screw over our franchise by offering you a 17 year deal. I know you want less term but we're just so eager to give you more, you know, cause it matches your jersey number. We would've went to 71 years if it were your number."

Sorry but I ain't taking the words of a Islander fan over mine, who actually knows what's going on with the franchise I've been rooting for since 1987 over a outsider who might have some knowledge on the Devils but nothing concrete. And I wouldn't act like a smart ass when referring to the Islanders since I'm no die hard Islander fan, like yourself I assume.

But hey, more power to you, you seem to have all the answers.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
5 years? Hellllllll no. Besides, we're not cup contenders anytime soon. Would rather keep one or both of Namestnikov and Spooner, add Chytil and Andersson, and go from there.

We need to fix our defense. We'll be OK up front. We have options. For 2 years to have fun? Sure, if it doesn't hamper anything else. But he'll want and get more than that, and on a team ready to go for it.

Still don't understand, nor agree with, the attitude issues. People change. Situations change. We've heard this for so many players and it's only ever been true for a very small quantity. All the others have been fine. Seems more like a desire for whoever signs him to regret it, for whatever reason. Obviously if he somehow did sign in NYC for 2 years we'd hear how horrible it is/we are forever from Devils' fans. Par for the course. Strongly doubt it happens. Also strongly doubt he has any issues on/off ice. Radulov was supposedly cancer. Who wouldn't take Radulov on their team right now, given cap space?

Things happen. Things change. Not everything is black and white. There are grey areas. That said... 5 years is silly. You don't gamble decent to big money on players until they're 40. Not Weber. Not Kovalchuk. You see what they can do with 2 years and then go year by year.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Do 2 years in Toronto, win a cup. Then go to a Florida type for the last 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad