Value of: Kovalchuk confirms NHL return for next season-plans to play 5-6 more years

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm not really sure how newsworthy this is since I think everyone assumed he'd be back when his contract was up with New Jersey anyways, this just confirms it.

Fresh off an Olympic gold medal and MVP award, rumored destinations have usually been with the Rangers, Florida's been mentioned too. Any guesses?

5 years out of the league, age 35.

“I congratulate Pasha, he deserved that. It is very honourable to be a member of the Triple Gold Club He is a real captain of the team, I am incredibly happy for him,” said 34-year-old Kovalchuk. “He will be 40 soon, and I still have five or six years, so I will be trying hard
Ilya Kovalchuk: The Quest For The Ultimate Goal Begins - Last Word on Hockey

He can stay where he is at. The NHL should use him as an example and have no team sign him. All he wants now is a pay check.

Reactions: MikeK

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Don’t want him near the Habs. Looks like a players MB will try to sign though. I hope not.

You don’t want one of the best fwd outside the nhl and that just won a gold medal and that led his team to khl championships?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd say Winnipeg would be a good destination for him if he wants to win the cup, but the next best one is Tampa Bay and that's the one that makes sense out of every team in the entire NHL.

Russian team, soon to be cup bound, but the only downside is he'll have to take a pay-cut.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He won't be as good as he was when he left, but he'll still be a good Top6 Winger for whoever picks him up. Look for a Team that has a friend of his and can contend.

Kovalchuck - Seguin - Radulov I can see it now!

:sarcasm:

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Lol these people saying he me not good anymore are so stupid. Garuntee he’s better than Radulov.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You don’t want one of the best fwd outside the nhl and that just won a gold medal and that led his team to khl championships?
No, not really, if it's a big-dollar long-term commitment.

I would want to see how much gas he has in the tank first. I would need a test drive on a short-term contract.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
I hope there oilers are trying for him on a 1 year 5mill deal like rads and see how he does kinda deal and if you don't like him and he does good then trade him at the trade deadline or the draft for something else that works for the team

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Can he finish Eichel’s tap in set ups? The Sabres are still looking for somebody like that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Never realized the hate Kovalchuk got?

Why? He was a stud when he was younger and a clear franchise player.

Got traded to Jersey and ended up being the best player outside of Brodeur in that cup run until he got injured. And even then was clearly the leader on that team versus Parise.

Left Jersey which I’m sure knowing Lou was a wink wink deal once the Devils realized they needed to rebuild.

He’s always been a high performer and seems to be generally loved in every locker room he is in. I think most teams would kill to get him on a short term contract.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
There should be a rule for players who retire and come back. Like you can't sign more than 1 year contract.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They signed him to a dumb contract cause he made dumb demands. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out but hey, I'm sure Lou and Vanderbeek turned down a 8, 9 or 10 year deal and said to Kovalchuk... "Look, we want to screw over our franchise by offering you a 17 year deal. I know you want less term but we're just so eager to give you more, you know, cause it matches your jersey number. We would've went to 71 years if it were your number."

Sorry but I ain't taking the words of a Islander fan over mine, who actually knows what's going on with the franchise I've been rooting for since 1987 over a outsider who might have some knowledge on the Devils but nothing concrete. And I wouldn't act like a smart ass when referring to the Islanders since I'm no die hard Islander fan, like yourself I assume.

But hey, more power to you, you seem to have all the answers.

So what I've learned from this wise poster who has been a fan all of 30 years is:

A. You cannot care about your family and make a lot of money
B. Kovalchuk made Lou sign his contract. The poor GM had no control in the situation (the old, if everyone jumps off a bridge does that mean you are going to do it argument)
C. Someone who has access to the same television channels and the same media outlets cannot have any concrete knowledge over another person who has access to the same things and nothing more.

This has been quite enlightening. You've obviously reached a plane of higher learning I could never achieve. I feel our time is short since you are most likely going to burst into a ball of light and energy and transcend this world, so I bid you safe travels oh omniscient one. I've gotten enough likes on my posts to be ensured that not everyone in this world is crazy, and that's victory enough for me. Your next comment will hit the wall of ignore so save your finger muscles for pleasure rather than pain....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00