Value of: Kotkaniemi extension

What will the Hurricanes sign Kotkaniemi for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Rumor is that Brindamour isnt a fan of KK's engagement and that he is giving him less and less time. Is this true?
It comes from Renaud Lavoie - who isn't what i would call a solid source. He is an ok insider, but its as if every time he gets a solid piece of real information, he draws the wrong conclusions from it. His delivery is kind of funny too.

Reactions: Laus723

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Rumor is that Brindamour isnt a fan of KK's engagement and that he is giving him less and less time. Is this true?
It comes from Renaud Lavoie - who isn't what i would call a solid source. He is an ok insider, but its as if every time he gets a solid piece of real information, he draws the wrong conclusions from it. His delivery is kind of funny too.

It’s hard to square that narrative with Brind’Amour still rewarding him with 2nd unit PP minutes.

More likely, the coaches don’t need and/or see value in him on the wing for now and he’s the clear #4 on the C depth chart behind better offensive players (Aho, Trocheck) and the matchup guy (Staal).

Reactions: Stubu and Gaud

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

This seems like a Habs reporter hoping for something rather than reporting.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well he played 8:46 and 6:33 the past two games. If you charted his game log his ice time is definitely on the decline.

I suspect Lavioe is extrapolating that the Bod doesn't trust him, which may or may not be true. But sub 9 mins back to back games isn't a great sign of confidence from your coach. He should be well rested for the playoffs.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well he played 8:46 and 6:33 the past two games. If you charted his game log his ice time is definitely on the decline.

I suspect Lavioe is extrapolating that the Bod doesn't trust him, which may or may not be true. But sub 9 mins back to back games isn't a great sign of confidence from your coach. He should be well rested for the playoffs.
Under 9 mins is really low.

Did something happen during those games to explain such low ice time?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Under 9 mins is really low.

Did something happen during those games to explain such low ice time?

Would have to defer to a Canes fan, but he doesn't play PK and I don't believe they play him in defensive / shut down scenario's. So tight games, games with lots of Special teams situations, going to be tough to get minutes.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
It does seem odd that he hasn't jumped forward more this year in development with such a better roster around him to help him out - he literally had nothing in Montreal and his position was always changing around they must want to sign him back under 4 maybe shortened term on a trial

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It does seem odd that he hasn't jumped forward more this year in development with such a better roster around him to help him out - he literally had nothing in Montreal and his position was always changing around they must want to sign him back under 4 maybe shortened term on a trial
This is silly. You're suggesting that Carolina is purposely holding KK back as a contract negotiating tactic?

Reactions: Lolonegoal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No that’s not what I suggested at all given the initial low result a lower offer on shorter term seems logical
There is no reason for KK to take that deal from Carolina before testing free agency. He’s going to get way less than his QO.

again whether his usage is a surprise to him or not would depend on the discussions he had with Carolina before signing the OS.
If it is a surprise then I would bet he wants to see if there is a better fit elsewhere.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I don't know anything behind the scenes but he did play just 6 minutes the other night.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
And had his fifth consecutive game without a point. He's got 2 goals and zero assists in his last 11 games. If he was still on the Habs there would be tears and jeers about how they are yoyoing him in the lineup and ruining his confidence.

Lower investment, lower expectations, lower discontent. A 3rd overall pick not panning out is brutal; that's supposed to be a franchise player. A late 1st and 3rd for a streaky Bottom 6 forward is not a big deal at all.

Anyway, my point was to offer evidence that runs counter to the narrative that the coaches are unhappy with engagement. Skating is the big weakness in his game. If he's not feeling it, giving him that extra step, he's a player that looks out of place in up tempo regular season matchups. Edmonton and Detroit, in particular, outskated the Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad