Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Almost 10 days out from the game five loss and zero sightings of the Mayor to explain what went wrong with the team. You’d think that the donkeys are in sore need of context and patience as they grapple with the disappointment, frustration and anger.

At least the Bannermen came out with some content and provided an opinion.

Somehow the team is the fourth most valuable franchise in the league behind Toronto, NYR and Montreal. But we get the same level of coverage as Ottawa.

The Donkey revolution will be televised.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Almost 10 days out from the game five loss and zero sightings of the Mayor to explain what went wrong with the team. You’d think that the donkeys are in sore need of context and patience as they grapple with the disappointment, frustration and anger.

At least the Bannermen came out with some content and provided an opinion.

Somehow the team is the fourth most valuable franchise in the league behind Toronto, NYR and Montreal. But we get the same level of coverage as Ottawa.

One of two things

1. Waiting for the front office to tell him what to say.

2. Waiting for someone else to say something he can plagiarize again.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Dear Dan,

Heard the Kings are staying pat, my advice is whatever you’re taking, cut the dosage in half.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
whatever mayor writes will be wrong. by long history.
i especially like when he goes on nhl radio and talks about mma.

Reactions: Piston

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
One of two things

1. Waiting for the front office to tell him what to say.
I know it shocks some of you, but Hoven doesn't exist to parrot what the org tells him to. He already wrote his opinion on what to expect with the org and it's early into the end of the season. He posted an article 3 days ago about PLD. It's not as condemning as the board would hope, so I didn't want to post it and rile people up more.

The Kings (and we) are shifting focus to the draft. I'm going to have more of my own content come out now, and am going to be spending more time editing my videos and writing articles. The U18 WJCs are completed, but there's still junior playoffs and Memorial Cup. Around this time, more energy is put forth in the scouting side and having internal meetings for June.
2. Waiting for someone else to say something he can plagiarize again.
When it was brought to his attention, he immediately corrected it and privately apologized to the podcast. It was an error. He also offered his explanation of what happened:

As part of the team, I sometimes preview articles (not to edit the direction or tone of the article - but to check for spelling errors and to make sure what's written is as accurate and understandable as possible. We check each other's work.

With the quote, I didn't know the source of it, and honestly missed that it wasn't properly cited. So, it was an error on my part as well in editing. I am sorry I missed it as well, not only because the podcast does deserve credit, but now Hoven's getting a lot of extra shit for an honest mistake.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
I know it shocks some of you, but Hoven doesn't exist to parrot what the org tells him to. He already wrote his opinion on what to expect with the org and it's early into the end of the season. He posted an article 3 days ago about PLD. It's not as condemning as the board would hope, so I didn't want to post it and rile people up more.

The Kings (and we) are shifting focus to the draft. I'm going to have more of my own content come out now, and am going to be spending more time editing my videos and writing articles. The U18 WJCs are completed, but there's still junior playoffs and Memorial Cup. Around this time, more energy is put forth in the scouting side and having internal meetings for June.

When it was brought to his attention, he immediately corrected it and privately apologized to the podcast. It was an error. He also offered his explanation of what happened:

As part of the team, I sometimes preview articles (not to edit the direction or tone of the article - but to check for spelling errors and to make sure what's written is as accurate and understandable as possible. We check each other's work.

With the quote, I didn't know the source of it, and honestly missed that it wasn't properly cited. So, it was an error on my part as well in editing. I am sorry I missed it as well, not only because the podcast does deserve credit, but now Hoven's getting a lot of extra shit for an honest mistake.

I'd like to think that most if not all people on this board respect your objectivity and professionalism. Moreover, I categorically reject the concept of guilt by association. You are an asset to the fans as well as to the organization. Nevertheless, that does not take away from the fact that Hoven is a shill who will say anything to protect his 'access' to the people in charge rather than calling it the way it is. I seem to recall him saying that it was in doubt whether the Oilers were better than the Kings. I hope that canard has finally been put to rest. His blind acceptance, some would say devotion, of Blake's moves and record of failure has caused many of us to ridicule his opinions. As a 'reporter' he has lost the one thing he needs more than anything, his credibility. With apologies to you and the work you are doing, I no longer follow or read the site.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I don’t hate Mayor or Bernstein. I wish I could have parlayed my fandom into a full time gig with access to the team I love.

I get they deal with a wide range of fans and some treat them pretty poorly. It’s par for the course it seems nowadays.

I think they should just stop calling it out so much. Just don’t engage with the “donkey” bs. Be above it.

Also acknowledge the temperature of the fan base without poo-pooing it.

They aren’t the only source on the block now and others have done a better job interacting and giving voice to the fan base.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Nevertheless, that does not take away from the fact that Hoven is a shill who will say anything to protect his 'access' to the people in charge rather than calling it the way it is. I seem to recall him saying that it was in doubt whether the Oilers were better than the Kings. I hope that canard has finally been put to rest. His blind acceptance, some would say devotion, of Blake's moves and record of failure has caused many of us to ridicule his opinions. As a 'reporter' he has lost the one thing he needs more than anything, his credibility.
Your speculation about Hoven isn't a fact.

It's perfectly possible that Hoven just generally agrees with the moves the organization has made.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t hater Mayor or Bernstein. I wish I could have parlayed my fandom into a full time gig with access to the team I love.

I get they deal with a wide range of fans and some treat them pretty poorly. It’s par for the course it seems nowadays.

I think they should just stop calling it out so much. Just don’t engage with the “donkey” bs. Be above it.

Also acknowledge the temperature of the fan base without poo-pooing it.

They aren’t the only source on the block now and others have done a better job interacting and giving voice to the fan base.

zero issue with them blocking or ignoring abusive fans

Big issue with them interacting with it

bigger issue with them clumping in legitimate and well reasoned criticism with the 'f*** your mother' abusive fans and labeling them all donkeys

media relations 101, it's super easy to just not be a dick even if you're going to be a hardcore bootlicker. I would have no problem with their relentless positivity even bordering dear leader sycophancy if they weren't complete douchebags to anyone with even a slightly divergent view. And when it's endorsed by the team itself...that's where the ire comes from.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'd like to think that most if not all people on this board respect your objectivity and professionalism. Moreover, I categorically reject the concept of guilt by association. You are an asset to the fans as well as to the organization. Nevertheless, that does not take away from the fact that Hoven is a shill who will say anything to protect his 'access' to the people in charge rather than calling it the way it is. I seem to recall him saying that it was in doubt whether the Oilers were better than the Kings. I hope that canard has finally been put to rest. His blind acceptance, some would say devotion, of Blake's moves and record of failure has caused many of us to ridicule his opinions. As a 'reporter' he has lost the one thing he needs more than anything, his credibility. With apologies to you and the work you are doing, I no longer follow or read the site.
I appreciate your kind words and genuine feedback. I always strive to be better not just with my content but as a person.

Regarding Hoven, I'll share some thoughts without divulging things he has told me in confidence. As always, take it for what it's worth.

While I am biased, I don't think he's shilling for the organization. I think he's a more glass half-full guy who generally likes to give people he knows the benefit of the doubt. And I'll provide a personal example some of you might be familiar with or remember.

There was a time that I stopped writing for MM. And in fact, was quite vocal in my dissatisfaction on these very boards with how he presented himself. The source of that beef is irrelevant to the discussion here. That being said, a few years later, we reconnected and discussed me writing for the site again. Even though I said some unkind things about him, he let me rejoin the team without questions aside from him wanting to clarify where I felt wronged by him. Needless to say, as a result of the discussion, I was more than happy to return writing for him. I know it's a singular example, but to me, he's a genuine fan who sees things more with a glass half-full approach.

And I wanted to tie that glass half-full approach to the opinion piece he wrote a couple weeks back about management staying. As mentioned, we check each other's work, which included me reviewing errors in that article.

I mentioned that short of calling the administration and season an abject failure, the article won't be well received. And that's not because I think the fans are unreasonable. It's because there's a mountain of reasons for the frustration for the regime. Many of which I've said here myself.

To me, he aims more for a positive approach with the content he pushes out. He also has mentioned multiple positive things about the Ducks organization as well; like times he's said kind words about Stothers even after he left the Kings org or his appreciation for Mason McTavish (and IIRC, he has tweeted how much he wanted the Kings to have picked him in the draft - to me, a shill would just say how Clarke was the best pick who fell, but that's my opinion).

In a follow up conversation about him not writing a more scathing article about the Kings, I shared with him the importance of Kings fans needing to be felt heard. Because of frustrations with management and them not taking the actions a lot of fans understandably want, there's a feeling of isolation or separation with the fanbase, and there could be improvement on having the content connect with the fans, instead of posting strictly what he hears, or not having more of an acknowledgement for the dissatisfaction of fans.

Now, will you see a significant change in the content? I don't know. I'm not going to make promises others would have to fulfill. I gave him my personal thoughts with the caveat that ultimately, it's his site and as the editor, he's the one who has to be happy with the content that does get pushed out. I just say and write stuff.

But what I do want to express, during these frustrating times as Kings fans, is that you are heard. And I know there have been some misgivings with Hoven as well as interactions that leave a bad taste in some mouths. I'm not going to apologize for someone else, nor would I imagine expecting you all to change your minds on my word alone. I can tell you I genuinely care for the fans who post on these boards, and it does pain me to think of how many times you all probably feel like you're screaming into a void. Without constantly bombarding someone I consider my friend with complaints, I try to share a high level of fan sentiment as well as my own.

I obviously hope one day more of you can enjoy Hoven's (as well as my own) content, even if you disagree with it. We try our best. And we try to be better.

Nonetheless, thank you again for your feedback.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Your speculation about Hoven isn't a fact.

It's perfectly possible that Hoven just generally agrees with the moves the organization has made.
That could very well be, and you are entitled to your opinion. But, at the end of the day, results matter, and by the only objective source that counts, the scoreboard, Bluc has abjectly failed, and that is a fact. Despite all the talent brought in and money spent, the team is regressing. And, we no longer have the top three prospect pipeline, multiple early draft picks while Kopitar and Doughty are another year older. In my opinion, this regime has failed and the failure of those who cover the team to even slightly call out this record would indicate that they are not unbiased.

Reactions: KINGS17

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I appreciate your kind words and genuine feedback. I always strive to be better not just with my content but as a person.

Regarding Hoven, I'll share some thoughts without divulging things he has told me in confidence. As always, take it for what it's worth.

While I am biased, I don't think he's shilling for the organization. I think he's a more glass half-full guy who generally likes to give people he knows the benefit of the doubt. And I'll provide a personal example some of you might be familiar with or remember.

There was a time that I stopped writing for MM. And in fact, was quite vocal in my dissatisfaction on these very boards with how he presented himself. The source of that beef is irrelevant to the discussion here. That being said, a few years later, we reconnected and discussed me writing for the site again. Even though I said some unkind things about him, he let me rejoin the team without questions aside from him wanting to clarify where I felt wronged by him. Needless to say, as a result of the discussion, I was more than happy to return writing for him. I know it's a singular example, but to me, he's a genuine fan who sees things more with a glass half-full approach.

And I wanted to tie that glass half-full approach to the opinion piece he wrote a couple weeks back about management staying. As mentioned, we check each other's work, which included me reviewing errors in that article.

I mentioned that short of calling the administration and season an abject failure, the article won't be well received. And that's not because I think the fans are unreasonable. It's because there's a mountain of reasons for the frustration for the regime. Many of which I've said here myself.

To me, he aims more for a positive approach with the content he pushes out. He also has mentioned multiple positive things about the Ducks organization as well; like times he's said kind words about Stothers even after he left the Kings org or his appreciation for Mason McTavish (and IIRC, he has tweeted how much he wanted the Kings to have picked him in the draft - to me, a shill would just say how Clarke was the best pick who fell, but that's my opinion).

In a follow up conversation about him not writing a more scathing article about the Kings, I shared with him the importance of Kings fans needing to be felt heard. Because of frustrations with management and them not taking the actions a lot of fans understandably want, there's a feeling of isolation or separation with the fanbase, and there could be improvement on having the content connect with the fans, instead of posting strictly what he hears, or not having more of an acknowledgement for the dissatisfaction of fans.

Now, will you see a significant change in the content? I don't know. I'm not going to make promises others would have to fulfill. I gave him my personal thoughts with the caveat that ultimately, it's his site and as the editor, he's the one who has to be happy with the content that does get pushed out. I just say and write stuff.

But what I do want to express, during these frustrating times as Kings fans, is that you are heard. And I know there have been some misgivings with Hoven as well as interactions that leave a bad taste in some mouths. I'm not going to apologize for someone else, nor would I imagine expecting you all to change your minds on my word alone. I can tell you I genuinely care for the fans who post on these boards, and it does pain me to think of how many times you all probably feel like you're screaming into a void. Without constantly bombarding someone I consider my friend with complaints, I try to share a high level of fan sentiment as well as my own.

I obviously hope one day more of you can enjoy Hoven's (as well as my own) content, even if you disagree with it. We try our best. And we try to be better.

Nonetheless, thank you again for your feedback.
Thanks KP for taking the time. Appreciate the insight you exchanged with Mayor and the privilege we have in interacting with you and @All The Kings Men

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'll give hoven some credit for that PLD article from the other day, and it validates KP's opinion that he's a glass-half-full guy. i think where we usually fall at odds is, like in this situation, he goes into the "PLD needs to be given time and taught" stuff and to me, it lacks a bit of big-picture. PLD was brought here and sold to us as a ready to go solution to center depth, now here we are discussing giving him time, moving him to wing to ease him in, *shuffles papers* moving QB back to center to make room, *shuffles some more* wait til kopi retires to move PLD back.. when does hoven realize/express that, well, that means he wasn't what blake sold us? i totally get coming to the defense of someone who for all intents and purposes is a good dude, but man, that quickly slides into propagandizing for dear leader territory

like KP said though, it's his site..

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The local media’s core audience is the fanbase. Those who are independent are judged on their inside information and opinions.

We have no true insiders and that’s because we aren’t a big enough audience to warrant it. I guess it’s progress that we’ve reached the point where there is enough interest to support multiple sycophants to feed the glass half full story lines to the folks paying attention.

Jun 30, 2006
Honestly, who cares about podcasts and sites that don’t generate a lot of traffic? Almost everyone has one, I think. 95 percent of them don’t know or want to connect with their audience.

Reminds me of the Bryan Cranston character in the movie Larry Crowne. Claims he’s writing a blog and sharing stories, thinks it’s a big deal but it’s really a sad life. All he’s really doing is jerking off most of the time. Gets called out on it by his wife (Julia Robert’s) and goes ballistic (I’m just a guy being a guy!).

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
According to the Mayor, it sounds like Aatu Jamsen is getting an ELC as soon as he clears medicals. He is a big long shot but I like his game a lot and hope he can succeed in the AHL/NHL.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
The local media’s core audience is the fanbase. Those who are independent are judged on their inside information and opinions.

We have no true insiders and that’s because we aren’t a big enough audience to warrant it. I guess it’s progress that we’ve reached the point where there is enough interest to support multiple sycophants to feed the glass half full story lines to the folks paying attention.
rich hammond and jonny rosen were pretty great

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Anyone watching Canada completely choking away this world championship game. They were up 6-1 in the 3rd and it's 6-6 now. Must be that PLD influence
I hope PLD scores the game winner and his stock rises

6718f0ad52d2881eccbc9d9e369a8cc1.gif

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
For a team built for the post season, it’s striking the lack of commentary about them since the 5 game exit.

For months we were told that the evaluation of this team could never be truly made until the post season.

Now that the post season came quicker than any koolaid addict expected, the script has flipped quickly to the draft or mostly just plain silence.

What happened to game 83? Where is the evaluation on the plan to make all your decisions in the previous summer?

My guess is that the bullshit has run its course through all the paid and unpaid sycophants. Now they struggle to come up with any big questions facing this team because they can’t come up with a bunch of distractions to feed the fewer and fewer fans who have the good faith to believe in management.

One day everyone will recognize that if Rob Blake is the best you can do for a manager, then you’re dealing with a low ceiling situation.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
For a team built for the post season, it’s striking the lack of commentary about them since the 5 game exit.

For months we were told that the evaluation of this team could never be truly made until the post season.

Now that the post season came quicker than any koolaid addict expected, the script has flipped quickly to the draft or mostly just plain silence.

What happened to game 83? Where is the evaluation on the plan to make all your decisions in the previous summer?

My guess is that the bullshit has run its course through all the paid and unpaid sycophants. Now they struggle to come up with any big questions facing this team because they can’t come up with a bunch of distractions to feed the fewer and fewer fans who have the good faith to believe in management.

One day everyone will recognize that if Rob Blake is the best you can do for a manager, then you’re dealing with a low ceiling situation.
Hoven has been remarkably quiet. He guaranteed a game 5 win and then decided he didn't want to podcast anymore, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad