Value of: Kotkaniemi extension

What will the Hurricanes sign Kotkaniemi for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Except he doesn’t but whatever helps you out man.

Necas isn’t a C so there’s also that.
I've just never been a fan of Kotkaniemi. This is not me picking on the hurricanes or something. I like them a lot and hope they win the cup this year.

Isn't Necas a natural center that's playing wing because of the Canes c depth?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Have the parties begun negotiating an extension or will that happen after the season?
What are you going to negotiate if you are KK?

8 points in his first 26 games. 8 points in the next 6, then 6 points in his last 17 games? For 22 points in 49 games of the Canes 52 games played so far. His pace, over 79 games, the max he could play is 35.5 points. He had 34 in 79 games with the Habs as an 18 year old rookie.

Can't imagine that the Canes are coming in with anything more than around half his current contract.

He may be best served to see what the market bears. He can always return to Carolina because he's not getting the max 8 year term from them.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've just never been a fan of Kotkaniemi. This is not me picking on the hurricanes or something. I like them a lot and hope they win the cup this year.

Isn't Necas a natural center that's playing wing because of the Canes c depth?

Lots of players are drafted as C or play it at lower levels but don’t stick there at the NHL level.

Necas hasn’t really shown anything to lead us to believe he’ll be a C in the NHL.

Reactions: Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What are you going to negotiate if you are KK?

8 points in his first 26 games. 8 points in the next 6, then 6 points in his last 17 games? For 22 points in 49 games of the Canes 52 games played so far. His pace, over 79 games, the max he could play is 35.5 points. He had 34 in 79 games with the Habs as an 18 year old rookie.

Can't imagine that the Canes are coming in with anything more than around half his current contract.

He may be best served to see what the market bears. He can always return to Carolina because he's not getting the max 8 year term from them.

Maybe we can come up with a contract that alternates from $2m AAV to $5m AAV every few weeks?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe we can come up with a contract that alternates from $2m AAV to $5m AAV every few weeks?
He had 1 great 2 week strech. The other 43 games, he has 14 points. No point in either side talking contract at this point. I had expected that it would be a slam dunk for him to best his rookie point totals, but now through 49 games, it's not a given.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He had 1 great 2 week strech. The other 43 games, he has 14 points. No point in either side talking contract at this point. I had expected that it would be a slam dunk for him to best his rookie point totals, but now through 49 games, it's not a given.
Sounds like his hero Armia has taught him everything he knows

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The bickering in this thread lol

Facts:

Canes good. Habs awful.

But let's be honest here Carolina made it personal and ended up making a bit of a silly move wasting a first-round draft pick on a player that is probably not worth it.
We gave up a 1st and a 2nd for Dvorak and I’d still take KK over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The bickering in this thread lol

Facts:

Canes good. Habs awful.

But let's be honest here Carolina made it personal and ended up making a bit of a silly move wasting a first-round draft pick on a player that is probably not worth it.
It wasn’t personal but you keep the narrative going.

Kotkaniemi wasn’t our number one target. We missed out on other players first in UFA. We tried to trade for him 2nd. Then when evaluating the trade cost of him or anyone else of note, the 1st and the 3rd made sense. If the Canes management knew he couldn’t play winger then I doubt they do it at all. It is what it is. The Canes either walk away. Kotkaniemi settles on lesser money because he won’t get much on the market, or Canes do the 2 year team option arbitration at 85% during the first window (no QO).

Which one? We’ll find out.

Last edited:

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
It wasn’t personal but you keep the narrative going.

Kotkaniemi wasn’t our number one target. We missed out on other players first in UFA. We tried to trade for him 2nd. Then when evaluating the trade cost of him or anyone else of note, the 1st and the 3rd made sense. If the Canes management knew he couldn’t play winger then I doubt they do it at all. It is what it is. The Canes either walk away. Kotkaniemi settles on lesser money because he won’t get much on the market, or Canes do the 2 year team option arbitration at 85% during the first window (no QO).

Which one? We’ll find out.
If KK stayed with the Canes, the Canes will still pay a lot for a fourth line player.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If KK stayed with the Canes, the Canes will still pay a lot for a fourth line player.
His line placement will have to do with how much he works on his skating this off-season. Hopefully he won’t have a lower body injury this time to keep him from it.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Neither Kotkaniemi nor Dvorak were bad moves. The odds of a late 1st round pick turning into anything that a trading team regrets are low.
Dvorak was a pretty awful move, the only saving grace being that the Habs were worse than expected. Still though, doesn't fit with the team's new direction at all, so it was pretty shortsighted.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Thats was 2 bad moves... one from Carolina (give picks and $ for KK) and one for Montreal (give that much for Dvorak)
There’s a dozen bad moves behind the scenes that created this clusterf*** but Canes signing him to the OS isn’t one of them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really curious what happens . Canes fans do you see them walking away here?
I would say, just based on his first 49 games anything above $3.5 mill per they need to walk away. Of course for KK he may be best served to see what the market bears if not just dollars but opportunity to play C in a higher role.

again not sure what he expected from Carolina this season when he signed his OS. If it didn’t go the way he was lead to believe then I certainly see him wanting to see what else is out there.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Bridge deal around $4m/season give or take a bit is my guess. He's not putting up a ton of points but he's playing with scrubs on the 4th line and still playing very well. He's been better than Staal this year but Rod is in love with Jordo so he can't overtake him in the lineup right now and obviously Aho and Tro are cemented in the top 6. We've tried him on the wing in the middle 6 and he's looked better at center so he's kinda stuck at 4C for this season. Tro likely gone after this year and Staal may be as well (depends whether the front office can convince Rod to let him go with his current cap hit) so there is opportunity for him going forward and we can absolutely see his upside here. Also worth noting that many acquisitions the Canes have had in the RBA era have taken at least a year to really get comfortable in the system and to fit in, that could very well be the case for Jesperi too.

Reactions: Stubu and montreal

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like the Canes quite a bit and mostly like what they're doing (I was one of the few people decently positive on their goaltending moves in the offseason), but we've got to call a spade a spade. The Kotkaniemi offer sheet was a mistake, it was a clear mistake at the time, and it hasn't really played out much better. He hasn't really shown indications of the kind of upside commensurate with the contract and I can't really see Carolina qualifying him at that price.

They could've used the $6 million in cap space and 1st round pick more effectively. I said this at the time, but if they were looking into an offersheet of that size, Robert Thomas was a much better target. And this isn't hindsight analysis. I did say this in the offseason.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't. I think he has looked good in the limited minutes and with the 4th line linemates that justifies going $4.5x4 or something like that, and then giving him second or 3rd line minutes next year after Trocheck likely leaves.

Reactions: montreal

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Neither Kotkaniemi nor Dvorak were bad moves. The odds of a late 1st round pick turning into anything that a trading team regrets are low.

Amen, agree with this. Habs weren't getting a C better then Dvorak with that draft pick, and if he recovers his play - most Habs have under MSL - he will still be worth the equivalent of a 28th OA pick when his deal expires.

If Carolina signs KK to a long term fair deal, same, he will have long term value greater then a 28th OA pick.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Dvorak was a pretty awful move, the only saving grace being that the Habs were worse than expected. Still though, doesn't fit with the team's new direction at all, so it was pretty shortsighted.
Wrong, he will play at a 38-45 point average and at his cap hit will be somewhat of a bargain as the deal ages.. If Habs really want, they will be able to get a late first or equivalent to him on an expiring deal. Some of you really overrate late first picks.

And someone has to play C, it was a fairly low risk move. And again, he will be worth what we acquired him for so not really much reason to worry about it. We are going to have 3 or so first rounds picks this year, another late one doesn't make much difference.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I don’t know what the contract should be and haven’t seen him play much this year, but the player is still developing, last year really should have been his rookie year. Again just super curious what happens here .

Reactions: Stubu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad