Konstantin Koltsov

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
A friend of mine is a long time Pens fan and always name drops Konstantin Koltsov as being an awful player during years of the Penguins being in the basement. How was thought of during his career by Pens fans and what was expected of him at the time?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was very fast, but couldn't really keep up with his hands. But his final year he established himself as a solid 4th liner that drew penalties and had the uncanny ability to fall at random with no one near him. He wasn't bad with his hands in the sense that he'd flub shots like Adams, he just couldn't carry the puck up the ice worth ****.

A mediocre-average 4th liner.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
In a picture, Kolstov was...

nanhands.jpg

The irony is I didn't see this thread until just now but I posted a joke about him 10 minutes ago in the other thread.

The ghosts of Penguin Past are starting to haunt us. That's how bad things have gotten around here.

Who's next, Rico FATa?

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
He was very fast, but couldn't really keep up with his hands. But his final year he established himself as a solid 4th liner that drew penalties and had the uncanny ability to fall at random with no one near him. He wasn't bad with his hands in the sense that he'd flub shots like Adams, he just couldn't carry the puck up the ice worth ****.

A mediocre-average 4th liner.

So you're saying he was Bobby Farnham crossed with Scott Hartnell?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
One of the fastest players to ever lace hockey skates. Reasonably difficult to knock down, despite the odd "fall over when nobody was near him" thing. Should have been a speed skater.

Still sort of surprised no team figured out some way to use that, even if nothing else worked at an NHL level. As has been mentioned, "two steps faster than a fast guy" isn't a thing you can teach.

He scored some preposterous goal in the K last year (year before?) where he took three casual strides from a dead stop and overtook two D that were 25 feet up the ice from him for a breakaway.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So you're saying he was Bobby Farnham crossed with Scott Hartnell?

No I am saying we have the NA version of him in the AHL right now, Matia Macaroni.

Koltsov didn't shy away from the rough stuff, but man he could not carry the puck up the ice if his life depended on it, what Koltsov didn't understand was gears, he needed to speed up at times, the guy was 0-100 every damn time and the worst balance I have ever seen. He was the fastest player I have ever seen and I've seen Gartner and Bure live. Koltsov at average speed was faster than 90% of the players, it would have allowed him to carry the puck and handle it better, but he insisted on just skating like a bat out of hell.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007

nanhands.jpg

The irony is I didn't see this thread until just now but I posted a joke about him 10 minutes ago in the other thread.

The ghosts of Penguin Past are starting to haunt us. That's how bad things have gotten around here.

Who's next, Rico FATa?

Shane Endicott.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sort of the mirror image of Robby Brown when it came to speed/hands.

Oh come on now, Downtown Robbie Brown had good hands, he wasn't as fast as Koltsov at any point though. Brown just...couldn't think the game at the NHL level outside of Mario's help, he still put up respectable numbers in Hartford.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

nanhands.jpg

Who's next, Rico FATa?

The face of our Generation X poster...

Ramzi Abid.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Probably the second fastest skater I've ever seen...too fast for his own good.

I seem to remember him being a pretty solid PKer and bottom six player, though...but that just may be the awfulness of the Pens at that time at those two things clouding my judgement.

I was a total fanboy when he was drafted because I was 12 and he was from a fairly random country.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
A friend of mine is a long time Pens fan and always name drops Konstantin Koltsov as being an awful player during years of the Penguins being in the basement. How was thought of during his career by Pens fans and what was expected of him at the time?

He was the Simon Despres of forwards during those years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Probably the second fastest skater I've ever seen...too fast for his own good.

I seem to remember him being a pretty solid PKer and bottom six player, though...but that just may be the awfulness of the Pens at that time at those two things clouding my judgement.

I was a total fanboy when he was drafted because I was 12 and he was from a fairly random country.

No he was actually fairly decent in his last year, he finally found a role and committed to that brand of hockey, it was after that the Pens decided they were too good for their younger players and told them all to GTFO to make way for the Crosby & Malkin era with Shero, Shero didn't seem like he liked some of the older prospects he inherited.

I remember being a little annoyed that Surovy was gone after that year as well.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Oh come on now, Downtown Robbie Brown had good hands, he wasn't as fast as Koltsov at any point though. Brown just...couldn't think the game at the NHL level outside of Mario's help, he still put up respectable numbers in Hartford.

Point was that RB was a bad skater with good/great hands. KK was great skater with no hands. Put the two together, and we would have had Pavel Bure.

But yeah, even outside of his time with 66, and without checking, RB put up better NHL numbers than KK.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
One of Craig Patrick's seven consecutive first round busts. Koltsov had amazing speed but absolutely nothing else.

No he was actually fairly decent in his last year, he finally found a role and committed to that brand of hockey, it was after that the Pens decided they were too good for their younger players and told them all to GTFO to make way for the Crosby & Malkin era with Shero, Shero didn't seem like he liked some of the older prospects he inherited.

I remember being a little annoyed that Surovy was gone after that year as well.

Koltsov became marginally better in his last year as a Pen but he was still a total non-factor outside of people going "Ooooh look he's fast... and now he's lost the puck". Clearing the bottom six of guys like Koltsov and Surovy (neither played another NHL game after leaving the Pens) and replacing them with real grit like Ruuttu and Roberts was one of the best things Shero ever did for this team.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

nanhands.jpg

Who's next, Rico FATa?

We're not truly haunted until people start pining for the likes of Drake Berehowsky, Andre Roy, and Eric Boguniecki.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
We're not truly haunted until people start pining for the likes of Drake Berehowsky, Andre Roy, and Eric Boguniecki.

Steve MCKENNA????

On topic with the thread, I really wanted to like Koltsov, his speed/skating was something special, but what was between his ears and the rocks he had for hands was unfortunate. I seem to recall he did do some PK'ing for us during his last season here. I too was surprised nobody picked him up afterwards to try and mold him into a forechecking bottom 6'er.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
This team could use a Kent Manderville. Remember when the Flyers took Billy Tibbets? Still makes me laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad