Line Combos: Komarov Watch

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
So. Anyone want Komarov anywhere near the boys on the bench still?

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Since game 5 is now a reality. Kadri gets back in but Pleks has found a solid role. Does kadri take back his line or does he get Pleks old line? Wonder what Babcock will do

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Since game 5 is now a reality. Kadri gets back in but Pleks has found a solid role. Does kadri take back his line or does he get Pleks old line? Wonder what Babcock will do
If it works for game 4 you have to stick with it. I would think. Kapanen-Kadri-Johnsson looks more like a good second line great third line than a true 4th line. 4 lines that can actually score will be a NIGHTMARE for the Bruins.

Reactions: TMLS

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Clear to me that Komarov was playing a with bummed knee and he's forcing his game. Taking a bump like he did clearly made that evident. He's a broken player.

Not sure the Leafs will clear him for game 4 and I'd be very surprised if he gets into a playoff game anytime soon.

We just have better players.

Reactions: ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think what is solidified at this point is that Leo wont be back next season.

I have no hard feeling towards him, hes just not the player he was.

I'd probably keep him on a 1 year deal around 1M... the Polak special if you will. If he wants term then you walk.

With JVR gone, Johnsson will move up the lineup. Komarov is still a decent 4th line and depth player to me. Gives us veteran depth and the players love Uncle Leo.

He simply cannot play 20+ minutes though like he has this season. That is absurd and I hope Babcock finally saw the light. He has to be a ~10 minute player with some secondary PK minutes.

The Leafs need to keep some form of depth around and I think Komarov at a cheap price shouldn't be snuffed at.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'd probably keep him on a 1 year deal around 1M... the Polak special if you will. If he wants term then you walk.

With JVR gone, Johnsson will move up the lineup. Komarov is still a decent 4th line and depth player to me. Gives us veteran depth and the players love Uncle Leo.

He simply cannot play 20+ minutes though like he has this season. That is absurd and I hope Babcock finally saw the light. He has to be a ~10 minute player with some secondary PK minutes.

The Leafs need to keep some form of depth around and I think Komarov at a cheap price shouldn't be snuffed at.

I wouldnt mind him on that deal, but I worry about Babcock and his usage

Reactions: SAMCRO44

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I hope Babs keeps same lineup for game 4 even of Komarov says hes fine. Like above posters said. Thank you Komarov for your service. You were a great soldier for us but we have to move on.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You can't put Leo back in. He doesn't deserve it for one and the team is better off without.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I thought Greening was productive for us. Now that he is earning league minimum he might be a better option than Leo. He is willing to drop the gloves whereas Leo skates away. Puzzled why Greening has never been given another shot.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I do too to be honest. Probably for the best if the Leafs management don't give Babcock the chance to shoot himself in the foot.

Luckily Leo will not take such a huge paycut. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers he gets July 1st. IMO he goes back to Europe before he signs a Polak deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Greening was productive for us. Now that he is earning league minimum he might be a better option than Leo. He is willing to drop the gloves whereas Leo skates away. Puzzled why Greening has never been given another shot.

Greening is a fine depth player. He's 32 years old though and actually older than Komarov. We can do better than both.

I like Greening quite a bit as a depth player though. I would easily re-sign him to be a veteran for the Marlies again. But he'll probably get a lucrative Europe offer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Luckily Leo will not take such a huge paycut. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers he gets July 1st. IMO he goes back to Europe before he signs a Polak deal.

I don't think he'll have much of a choice. He's also a dad now and married, something he wasn't before he was jumping between us and the KHL.

Maybe he gets term from a team but I'll be shocked, and that is not an exaggeration, if somebody gives him a cap hit higher than 2M... even that seems excessive for his contributions and injuries.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Greening is a fine depth player. He's 32 years old though and actually older than Komarov. We can do better than both.

I like Greening quite a bit as a depth player though. I would easily re-sign him to be a veteran for the Marlies again. But he'll probably get a lucrative Europe offer.

Skating is more of a concern with Leo than age. I don't see Greening making the team next year. Just wondering out loud why he won't even be given a shot.

We need to keep getting better so we better do better than either of them this summer :)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We need speed and skill to beat the Bruins, which means Johnsson over Komarov. Leo used to be a good player, but he looks kind of done now, and Johnsson looks a lot better. Hopefully Babs keeps him out even if he’s ready to play.

If it works for game 4 you have to stick with it. I would think. Kapanen-Kadri-Johnsson looks more like a good second line great third line than a true 4th line. 4 lines that can actually score will be a NIGHTMARE for the Bruins.
That’s what I’d do too. If Marleau/Pleks/Marner continue to match up well against Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta, you have to keep them together when Naz returns, even though we’ll get that matchup a lot less often in Boston.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Pleks - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
JvR - Bozak - Brown

Reactions: Leafidelity

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's been hurt twice in the past 5 weeks and is diminished. He shouldn't be back in any form.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
We need speed and skill to beat the Bruins, which means Johnsson over Komarov. Leo used to be a good player, but he looks kind of done now, and Johnsson looks a lot better. Hopefully Babs keeps him out even if he’s ready to play.

That’s what I’d do too. If Marleau/Pleks/Marner continue to match up well against Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta, you have to keep them together when Naz returns, even though we’ll get that matchup a lot less often in Boston.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Pleks - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
JvR - Bozak - Brown

If we need skill, we put Komarov in over Johnsson don't we? A simple cover the point isn't hockey rocket science is it? Is it better seeing Johnsson running around out of position? I'd say the
game last night showed what happens with that 'skill'... in the back of the Leaf's net. The kid doesn't even follow the basics yet. And if we want speed, why would we play Kadri over Komarov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad