Line Combos: Komarov Watch

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If we need skill, we put Komarov in over Johnsson don't we? A simple cover the point isn't hockey rocket science is it? Is it better seeing Johnsson running around out of position? I'd say the
game last night showed what happens with that 'skill'... in the back of the Leaf's net. The kid doesn't even follow the basics yet. And if we want speed, why would we play Kadri over Komarov?
I know it must have really hurt you that we played our best game in the series without Leo, but we are a better team without him.
Its not a surprise Kadri has had a lot more great games when Komarov was removed from the line.
If skill and speed doesnt matter, and pucks not going in the back of the Leafs net, shouldnt Leivo and Johnsson play over Bozak?

Reactions: biotk and Moonman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If we need skill, we put Komarov in over Johnsson don't we? A simple cover the point isn't hockey rocket science is it? Is it better seeing Johnsson running around out of position? I'd say the
game last night showed what happens with that 'skill'... in the back of the Leaf's net. The kid doesn't even follow the basics yet. And if we want speed, why would we play Kadri over Komarov?
well there's the dumbest thing i'll read today

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

"game-time decision"

We should be a little worried. Just a little.

What the f***?

The only way he should play is if he plays center on the 4th line and then sit again when Kadri is back in the lineup.

Kapanen had a breakaway and hit the post, Johnsson had one of the best chances as well. Has Komarov done anything on either side of the puck to deserve a spot back in the lineup.

Don't mess with a winning lineup.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
He actually believes Komarov serves a purpose on this team. Yesterday's game must have been rough for him as it showed we just play better without Leo.

I just don't get how anyone who has watched this season cannot see that Komorov is not the same player who was a decent NHLer in the past.

The NHL is becoming a league where you can no longer be unskilled as a forward. With the speed of the game and the skill of forwards, to play defence in your zone you now need to be able to read plays, make skilled passes, and anticipate the forecheck and the offensive pressure coming your way. There is a reason Komorov has some of the worst zone exit stats. Why is it that his line, no matter what one he has played on this year, is always hemmed in his own zone? It is literally hurting your team to play a forward who can't play defence and is inept at any offence.

This extends to every facet of the game including the penalty kill. While his work ethic may be great, the plays he breaks up and the pressure he applies on the penalty kill is far below the level of Brown, Hyman, and Kapanen. Simply waving your stick one handed is useless if you don't apply pressure.

With his lack of hitting this season and his lack of irritating opponents, Komorov is harmful to his own team. All stats indicate his inability at offence and his terrible defence, yet he averages an insane amount of ice time for his terrible play. How anyone still defends his place on this team is unfounded, and they are literally just clinging to this image of "Uncle Leo", and these mythical qualities he brings to the team.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'd like to hear from one single Leaf fan that wants to see Komarov back in the lineup. I mean, I understand Babcock has a 1000 times more hockey knowledge than me but can he have more hockey knowledge than every Leaf fan in existence combined?

Come one Leo fans, this is the time to speak up and let us know what you know and/or think. I'm betting no one speaks up after how the team looked without him yesterday. Babcock is a dink if he puts him back in.

Reactions: supermann_98

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I'd like to hear from one single Leaf fan that wants to see Komarov back in the lineup. I mean, I understand Babcock has a 1000 times more hockey knowledge than me but can he have more hockey knowledge than every Leaf fan in existence combined?

Come one Leo fans, this is the time to speak up and let us know what you know and/or think. I'm betting no one speaks up after how the team looked without him yesterday. Babcock is a dink if he puts him back in.
You have to put Komarov in there.

He is the quintessential role player. He does his job well. He is a big body, he hits.

Look at a guy like Nylander. He has been the worst forward in these playoffs for the Leafs, and it is not even close. Apparently the coach even called him out on game day. Where's the cry to bench him? If the coach has to kick his butt to get going for the playoffs, that is a serious red flag.

To me, it is inexplicable all this opinion against Komarov. What exactly do you people want him to do, and what are the expectations?

It is about we do not like grinders, but someone who floats like Nylander is good because he has great __________ whatevers.

:baghead:

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
I honestly think he stays out for game 4 due to the injury but my biggest fear... Babcock places komarov back in game 5 on kadri's wing

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I know it must have really hurt you that we played our best game in the series without Leo, but we are a better team without him.
Its not a surprise Kadri has had a lot more great games when Komarov was removed from the line.
If skill and speed doesnt matter, and pucks not going in the back of the Leafs net, shouldnt Leivo and Johnsson play over Bozak?

Not really, Bozak's been one of our better defensive players this year. His line I think has been the least scored on since like November. He's been bad defensively in the past but he should deserve some credit for his effort to fix his defensive issues this season.

It's not the best stat but he went for a team worst plus/minus of like -12 I think in October? Marner might have been worse but he was still pretty bad to +6. He's the highest forward on the team for that stat not counting the ridiculous numbers of the Matthews line. His offence has left a lot be desired but he's been fine defensively.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Well, if Komarov replaces Johnsson and he doesn't do well and the team loses,there will be heat on babcock like we haven't seen in a long time...
So Babcock will definitely put him back out there for game 5..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->