Line Combos: Komarov Watch

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by MR4, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MR4

MR4 Registered User

Komarov did literally nothing as well. But Babcock doesn't see him as a C so it's pointless to discuss a move to C. Arguing over W decisions at least feels like I'm putting a wish out to God for Babcock to wake up and realize Johnsson > Komarov.

What the hell did Komarov do yesterday that helped us a lot against Boston btw?

2. Rielly4

Rielly4 Registered User

Komarov is good defensively and he wins puck battles. People who only watch the puck carriers will not notice the little things he does well as he is horrible with the puck. Bottom line is he is our best defensive forward. Plekanec isnt good in any sense and is our worst PKer.

3. HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL Mini Cup run dies miserably, predictably

Kappy is in.

4. Alerion

Alerion Registered User

Our best defensive forward got absolutely shredded last night and is anchoring a bad PK. It seems like our best defensive forward isn't actually good defensively (or at all) at this stage in his career.

5. MattySnipes

MattySnipes Top 3 Forward Core! ☆34•16•29•43•91•24•18•12•11☆

Director of Storytelling
    yup. poster you quoted is out to lunch if they think komo is our best defensive forward. this isn't 2015/2016/2017. Komo is a shadow of himself -- heck, his shadow would be scared of what he's become now. Just terrible. To make matters worse, he gets put on line #1 now so Marchand can lick him some more. Just great decision making and scheming by Babcock. What do we pay him again per year? Jheeze.

6. janesy12

janesy12 Leafs Nation

Explain to me how he helps out the Matthews line more than Hyman, who was actually our best player last night on both sides of the puck.
    Komarov is done, and is a waste of a roster spot right now. Everyone he has played with this year he has dragged down and now the brilliant decision is to move him up to the #1 line.
    With 5 on 5, PK, and PP time he'll be well over 20 minutes Saturday night, maybe more.
    This is absurd. Whether you're in panic mode or not after 1 game, moving a useless player up with arguably our 2 best players is ****ed.

PuckMagi likes this.
  7. my name is Bob

my name is Bob Registered User

Overreaction much. Go cheer for another team than. You won't be missed around here.

It was one game, and Komarov wasn't even bad.

Kurtz likes this.
  8. PuckMagi

PuckMagi Registered User

I've known for a long time that Babcock was a really bad coach. I took a lot of crap for saying it pretty early on.

If he puts Komarov with Matthews and Nylander... that should be all the proof anyone needs.

If we lose this series because Babcock used Komarov on the top line... I hope Leaf's Nation will run him out of town.

9. MR4

MR4 Registered User

He was invisible in terms of 0 good plays, and the play dying on his stick once he got it. And he is the 14th best forward on this team. It's not an overreaction to be ****ing pissed that the 14th best forward is matched up against the best 1st line in the league with your most dominant pair as he will yet again be invisible and let the BOS line play 3v2 and neutralize the Matthews-Nylander pair.

I'll cheer for who I want princess.

10. Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13 Registered User

OK, he wasn't even bad and that's worth a promotion to first line duty? He wasn't very good, nobody was. I just don't understand Babcock. He has coached Team Canada in the Olympics, he should know what talent looks like yet he potentially will saddle Matthews and Willy with Leo.

11. MR4

MR4 Registered User

I'm going to give it another year, but if his love for grinders continues and gets us another first round exit, I will completely support replacing him with Keefe.

12. my name is Bob

Lol, Princess is the icing on the cake! You're the one acting so prissy

He's good defensively and the assumption is, he's there to help Matthews defend the Bergeron line.

CelticDruid likes this.
  13. my name is Bob

Again, same as the other thread, if I were coach, I wouldn't use these lines.

But there's a guy out there who gets paid a lot more than me, who knows these players a lot better than me and who is a heck of a lot smarter than anyone of us, who thinks this could work.

I have to defer and trust him.

He got this team the most points they've ever gotten in the season, he's clearly good at his job. No reason to doubt him now.

14. SAMCRO44

SAMCRO44 Registered User

Don't like it, don't really understand it, but it is what it is.
    Hope he's right. And if it back-fires, he will be justifiably criticized

15. Menzinger

Menzinger Registered User

Professional Student
    Komarov is a middling 4th liner at this point whose fine in the PK.

Having him on the first line makes them worse. Really hard to grasp the logic of this move.

Kiwi and SAMCRO44 like this.
  16. MR4

MR4 Registered User

Lmao. If you're gonna be childish with the "you won't be missed" I'll give ya the same respect

He is not good defensively 5v5 is the thing, especially not good enough to defend 1st liners. He's essentially the forward version of Polak now, in a situation where speed is much less of a factor on PK he can be good defensively but going up and down the ice 5v5 makes him weak defensively.

17. CelticDruid

CelticDruid Registered User

Engraver
    Not a bad move by Babcock putting Komorov on the first line in order to neutralize the Bergeron line and let Hyman in on the forecheck on the 2nd line.A good strategy for all of the other lines who can freewheel.

my name is Bob likes this.
  18. PuckMagi

PuckMagi Registered User

We have a stacked roster. We have the best young talent in the league. It wasn't Babcock's coaching that got us those points... it was guys like: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, etc. That's the reason why we did so well this year... we have a really good core group of players and we are really deep on offense.

19. MR4

MR4 Registered User

Yep. Very good rosters will get you points in spite of the coach if need be. Not that I think Babcock is trash or anything of the sort, his systems are good (except for the reliance on dumping out of the zone). But starting to think he's stuck in the past thinking doing what he did in 2008 will get another ring on his finger. The game has completely changed, this is actually pretty common for single Cup winners to never win as they look star their ring and say I can win again instead of continuing to try to improve. The drive for the 1st ring is way more than the drive for a 2nd, that's why tons of coaches have only 1 ring when a very select few have multiple rings.

david999 likes this.
  20. my name is Bob

We'll have to disagree on defensive ability. I know he's one of the best defensive forwards on our team and I'll leave it at that.

Mark my words though, when Marchand comes out hot next game to take vengeance for Kadri, Leo is going to poke the bear. And before the game is over, big nose Marchy is going to take a couple stupid penalties or worse.

The bruins got to Kadri, Babcock wants to get to Marchand

Kurtz likes this.
  21. TOGuy14

TOGuy14 Registered User

I hope that the only reason Komarov is on the top line is to bait Marchand all game otherwise I just don't get it.

Leo plays with this unit on the PP and they were absolutely dreadful all season as a group. When Johnsson got his call up that line looked energized an invigorated. Now we are putting Johnsson on a 4th line checking role so Leo can play top line with AM34. What the hell?

22. Havoc

Havoc Registered User

It's the game as a whole.

Johnsson is possession friendly. Leo banks it out the zone right back to the other team. False sense of progress.

Menzinger likes this.
  23. heybuddyhowyadoing

heybuddyhowyadoing Registered User

Home Inspector
    Go Uncle Leo Go!

24. Muston Atthews

Muston Atthews Bunch of Bangerz

Yeah I forgot Babcocks ace in the hole, move Komarov to the top line

HamiltonNHL likes this.
  25. Kurtz

Kurtz Registered User

My thinking is that Babs expects the Bergeron line to be matched up against Matthews. Bergeron is a selke C, so he should be able to neutralize Matthews, which leaves the two wingers on Boston's line with the freedom to go offensive. This is where Komarov comes in.

Tactically, it would even make sense to take Nylander off that line on the road, and put Brown there. Sure, the line won't score much, but it will be able to neutralize the Bruins top line also.

I expect that this will change when we get home and will be able to put our checking line on the Bruins 1st and get Matthews away from Bergeron more often.

marty111 likes this.