Knowing what we know - who do you draft in a re-draft? 18 yr old Crosby or 18 yr old McDavid?

Who do you take in a re-draft - 18yr old Crosby vs 18 yr old McDavid

• Total voters

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I don't get why people keep acting like Crosby is this magical rpg team buff character that singlehandedly leads teams to cups. Yes he has won before but it doesn't magically make him somebody who would lead Edmonton to Stanley Cups. Do people really think if Crosby was on the Oilers that they would've won already?
100 percent they would have

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I care about team championships and team success and Crosby’s success from 18-27 is obviously incredibly above what McDavid did.

I think McDavid is likely the better individual offensive threat tho.

Sid has won at every single thing he did in his career outside of the memorial cup.
You’re literally repeating the comment I just replied to.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Everywhere Crosby goes, the team wins. For almost 3 decades.

People constantly make excuses that it's always the team.

He's won the championship at every level he's played.

That's a lot of "being lucky". For more than 2 and 1/2 decades.

People who have never played hockey just sort players 1-10 by their points. It's actually a really dumb way to rate players.

There's a reason they play to win the games.

Last competitive league I played in, the leading scoring was my center. He finished with 154 points.

He was a selfish puck hog, floated all game, never back checked, and for every 1 highlight reel goal, he turned it over 3x.

You constantly had to overcompensate for all the things he didn't do. Battle down low. Backcheck. Faceoffs. Etc etc.

He won the MVP of our league.

The second place scorer had 146 points.

He was a 200-foot monster, was arguably the best defensive player in the league, picked my pocket on a breakaway catching me from behind on the backcheck, and I never saw him make a bad play. He was just as good away from the puck as with it.

When it was all said and done, the second place scorer was 10x the player.

Not surprisingly, their team won the league championship and we got bounced early.

Real hockey is like that sometimes.
Yup a lot of this mcdavid fans don't know or actually play the game

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Because it is a fact and true.
Obviously… So has Jonathan Toews, is he better than Mcdavid too?

Mike Smith had a higher save percentage last season than MAF did in a much more friendly defensive league for goaltending in 2009.

Same sv% as fleury put up in the SCF.
So you think if you replace Crosby with Mcdavid that the oilers beat the Avs in 2022?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I’m not sure I get the Toews comparison.

I do think there is a chance the oilers have a cup with the same roster with a 22 - 27 year old Sid.
You used winning as the most important metric for the quality of a player, I'm just following your logic. You ignored all the other points I brought up in my post so that must be all that matters to you.

I'm not convinced he outplays McDavid last year and finds a way to beat the Avs. I'm also not convinced he finds a way to win with his starting goalie posting a .883 sv% (and I'm also not convinced that his "2 way play" improves Stuart Skinner's numbers by .20-.30%).

Reactions: authentic

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You used winning as the most important metric for the quality of a player, I'm just following your logic. You ignored all the other points I brought up in my post so that must be all that matters to you.

I'm not convinced he outplays McDavid last year and finds a way to beat the Avs. I'm also not convinced he finds a way to win with his starting goalie posting a .883 sv% (and I'm also not convinced that his "2 way play" improves Stuart Skinner's numbers by .20-.30%).
Have you considered the Oilers goaltending numbers may suffer because their forwards cheat up ice, hoping for an odd-man rush?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Have you considered the Oilers goaltending numbers may suffer because their forwards cheat up ice, hoping for an odd-man rush?
Funny you ask, I went back and looked at all the goals scored against the Oilers by VGK because of such a situation. Guess what I found?

2 goals were scored because of an offensive zone turnover.

1 goal was scored bc they were cheating up ice (McDavid wasn't even on the ice for that goal)

17 were scored when that wasn't the case.

Any more questions?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd happily take Crosby. If we're essentially saying "would you rather be the Penguins or Oilers" and go on the exact same run either player did, Crosby gets you to the Stanley Cup finals by Year 3 and a Stanley Cup win by Year 4. That's already mission accomplished in terms of everything I want to see. Everything else McDavid is doing at a higher tier is great, but you're still guaranteed no championships in 8 years of watching.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
When crosby won his b2b smythes and cups he also finished 2nd in hart both years and 3rd and 2nd in regular season scoring in those years. It's not like he was toews never making the top 10. He spent 5 straight seasons in the top 3 in scoring along with his playoff success

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
When crosby won his b2b smythes and cups he also finished 2nd in hart both years and 3rd and 2nd in regular season scoring in those years. It's not like he was toews never making the top 10. He spent 5 straight seasons in the top 3 in scoring along with his playoff success

If WINNING is all that matters according to those who PLAY THE GAME, that means that Gretzky>Lemieux because he knows how to WIN more.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If WINNING is all that matters according to those who PLAY THE GAME, that means that Gretzky>Lemieux because he knows how to WIN more.
Lemieux won his championships on a back he couldn't even tie his own skates with and led canada to an Olympic gold in 2002. So I'm not too sure about that

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Sid has won at every single thing he did in his career outside of the memorial cup.
Isn't that just saying he won for Canada and the Penguins? Are we really using Team Canada gold medals as a measure of success? Give Mcdavid the opportunity to represent Canada at the men's level and he's walking away with the gold medal too.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
You never answered my question about how Crosby would help the Oilers beat the Avs and how he'd win with a goalie posting a .883 sv%. It's almost like you just like to hear yourself talk and completely ignore any counterarguments

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Isn't that just saying he won for Canada and the Penguins? Are we really using Team Canada gold medals as a measure of success? Give Mcdavid the opportunity to represent Canada at the men's level and he's walking away with the gold medal too.
No, he won at every level of his pre-NHL career too. McDavid, uh, didn't, despite playing with plenty of future NHLers.

And Crosby scored the winning goal in OT on the gold medal game, I don't know how someone can say with any certainty that you could replace him with anyone and they'd do the same.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
He’s not “always” bringing home playoff mvps.

Please. The closest thing to the show for you is clinging onto your Sidney body pillow.

Henri Richard> Crosby right? After all, he knows WINNING more than Crosby.
Look man there’s No need to be upset. Majority prefers Crosby. Not for any reason other than he’s a more complete player and leader. That’s it. The cups happened for a reason. You know this which is why you guys are fighting so hard against it.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don't get why people keep acting like Crosby is this magical rpg team buff character that singlehandedly leads teams to cups. Yes he has won before but it doesn't magically make him somebody who would lead Edmonton to Stanley Cups. Do people really think if Crosby was on the Oilers that they would've won already?
Yes? The 16-17 Oilers, and the last two years McDavid/Draisaitl had a better team around them than the 09 Penguins.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No, he won at every level of his pre-NHL career too. McDavid, uh, didn't, despite playing with plenty of future NHLers.

And Crosby scored the winning goal in OT on the gold medal game, I don't know how someone can say with any certainty that you could replace him with anyone and they'd do the same.
McDavid had 49 points in 20 games during that run with Erie, he had 18 more points than the #2 scorer in those playoffs.

It's honestly mind boggling that people are claiming McDavid doesn't elevate his game during these playoff runs.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I'll still take Secondary assist Sid over the point monkey whisper.

Sid's Backhand shot/pass/redirection/faceoff wins/everything>>>>>>>>>>>Whatever it is Twinkletoes McFingerBang does.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Uh, no.

Zero chance below average-sized Crosby had stronger legs than 260 pound Chara or 240 pound Ovechkin, let alone about 150 other players.

Crosby has always been a finesse player. He's got great hands and vision. Calling him physically imposing is absurd.
Have you watched a Crosby game whatsoever? Lol dude stop.

Everyone knows Crosby's game is about mucking and grinding it out in the corners, below the net. The best lower body strength in the league, and would hardly ever lose board battles. Still is probably the best at it.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Prime Crosby seemed to elevate no name wingers with more success 5 on 5 imo than McDavid. Crosby never needed Malkin on his wing either, strictly playing together on the powerplay only. McDavid is more of a one man show out there it seems 5 on 5, and it resorts to Oilers playing McDavid and Draisaitl together 5 on 5 more then they probably should, and relying heavily on the PP to score.

McDavid is definitely the more dynamic offensive player, but I’m taking Crosby especially if we’re ignoring the injuries early in his career.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad