Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
FWIW, that Korac interview resolves a bit of my anxiety about Kostin.
  • His attitude seems positive, he doesn’t sound frustrated at all, and instead comes off as eager to learn
  • He didn’t leave the Blues as a Black Ace during the playoffs out of some sort of beef or wanting to sign in Russia instead.
  • He’s going to be given a bigger/better opportunity next year with the Rampage
  • Taylor talked about him still being very young, and that meaning that he’s still learning how to play the team game, and still “trying” things on his own that don’t and won’t work. The org is aware, and working with him to improve this
  • He and Toropchenko seem like quick friends, it will be good for him to have a confidant on the team. If they can build their games together, that’s amazing.
  • The org is willing to be patient with him and give him the resources he needs. Bringing him back to prospect camp to be with kids his own age for a week and build his confidence was a good move in that regard.
  • Tarasenko and Barbashev have reached out and offered support
  • Kostin gave an interview
Color me cautiously optimistic again.

Agreed - the biggest takeaway for me was Kostin’s attitude - that is key to being successful. He also apparently was more of a leader at prospect camp this year. These may seem like small things, but giving interviews now and signing autographs are great signs that he is engaged. If he only fulfills half of his potential, we could be looking at a Maroon type player. He needs to keep at it though and listen to his coaches, which it sounds like he’s doing.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
For all you Kostin doubters - great article by Lou Korac

"He's taking steps. He's almost at the highest part of the mountain. He's getting there. He's getting closer. When he comes up, he's going to be a Blue for a long time."
- Tim Taylor
This article is total propaganda. It's all Taylor and the team talking about how wonderful Kostin is. They never do this for any other prospect. Not sure how much of it is bc they think he has confidence issue and need to pump his tires and how much is bc they are trying to preserve his value until they can dump him on another franchise.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Here are my concerns with Kostin.

He's a bulldozer with skill. The problem is his hockey IQ which is REALLY low. Can he be coached up? Maybe. But his current path to the NHL is as a bottom 6 player who can't play defense or kill penalties. I understand he's only 20, but he's played two seasons in North America and hasn't fixed a single issue that has been working against him in those two years.

I also look at him as a major flight risk, possibly as early as next spring/summer as soon as his ELC is up. I don't know a lot of teams that would take that on. Maybe as a minor piece in a bigger deal, but individually, I am of the opinion he has almost no value and the Blues would be better off taking a chance that he "figures it out" this summer and upcoming season.

Interesting...

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
FWIW, that Korac interview resolves a bit of my anxiety about Kostin.
  • His attitude seems positive, he doesn’t sound frustrated at all, and instead comes off as eager to learn
  • He didn’t leave the Blues as a Black Ace during the playoffs out of some sort of beef or wanting to sign in Russia instead.
  • He’s going to be given a bigger/better opportunity next year with the Rampage
  • Taylor talked about him still being very young, and that meaning that he’s still learning how to play the team game, and still “trying” things on his own that don’t and won’t work. The org is aware, and working with him to improve this
  • He and Toropchenko seem like quick friends, it will be good for him to have a confidant on the team. If they can build their games together, that’s amazing.
  • The org is willing to be patient with him and give him the resources he needs. Bringing him back to prospect camp to be with kids his own age for a week and build his confidence was a good move in that regard.
  • Tarasenko and Barbashev have reached out and offered support
  • Kostin gave an interview
Color me cautiously optimistic again.

Told ya not to worry, my friend.

I’m excited to see him in training camp with the big boys in September. I think we’ll really know where he’s at then, but it’s sounding like he’ll start in SA and be a top injury call up this year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I just read Tom Timmermann's piece in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about Kostin.

Kostin apparently came to North American with no English language skills. Or should I say inability to speak and understand spoken English. That means he couldn't understand the coaching staff or his teammates. I guess the coaches had to show him things in pantomime.

Add to that, he came to a team when he was 18 years old, living in an unfamiliar culture. His teammates were years older than him, some married and with kids.

Kostin must have been the loneliest guy in town. Good for him to stick it out the past two years and remain positive.

To be fair, he did live with his dad the entire time in SA both years. But not sure if his dad traveled on road trips or not. But probably not. So likely some loneliness but not like he was completely alone.

But that may have also hurt his acclimation a bit as he and his dad likely spoke Russian all the time away from the rink.

Kostin has a ton of skills and I’m rooting for him. And yes, it’s a very hard adjustment, especially as a teenager. That’s why I would’ve preferred he had played in the WHL instead but that’s a moot point now.

My concern for him remains a lack of hockey sense. His youth and still learning the NA game could be some of that but it’s by far the main area I’m hoping to see improvement this season.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Hopefully he can have a good year.

Where did all the concern about him being a flight risk come from? Was it JR?

JR made mention in a chat that he had left the team during the playoffs. But that's all I remember from him.

I mentioned it a few times near the end of the regular season as he looked completely disengaged and had mentioned he wanted to be in the NHL. This was before I realized that his ELC slid the first two seasons due to his signing age, so he still has 3 years left. That removes that risk unless the team agrees to "loan" him to a KHL team which I dont think is their preference.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
For you doubters, remember the positive things Thorburn had to say about Kostin. I'll bet he wasn't just spouting Blues propaganda.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Good to hear he has a positive outlook and attitude, but he's still facing an uphill battle just due to the talent and depth of this organization. I'd not be at all surprised to see him shipped to another team with less depth before his value sinks any lower. Positive spin from his own organization means very little if he's still struggling against men in the minors. I'd have been shocked to hear the Blues say anything other than what they just did.

81fb6a4c924d06a0bf0197773b2bf37b.gif

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kostin is going to surprise a lot of people. So much natural talent. Size, skill and plays with an edge. Reminds me of a young Keith Tkachuk.

Reactions: stl76

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He doesn’t have Walt’s IQ. He can be an effective player, but Walt was pretty special

He may be able to develop into a Pat Maroon type of player. We all keep forgetting how young he is.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Kerber said on the radio just now that he doesn't believe the Blues think Kostin is ready.

I don't know. He had a solid preseason and is off to a nice start in San Antonio. I feel like he has shown enough improvement to warrant an NHL opportunity.

I would much rather prefer we give Kostin some games than bump up Fabbri or Sanford. Maybe ease him in on the 3rd line and see how he does and then bump him if he's doing well.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Kerber said on the radio just now that he doesn't believe the Blues think Kostin is ready.

I don't know. He had a solid preseason and is off to a nice start in San Antonio. I feel like he has shown enough improvement to warrant an NHL opportunity.

I would much rather prefer we give Kostin some games than bump up Fabbri or Sanford. Maybe ease him in on the 3rd line and see how he does and then bump him if he's doing well.

If that's truly the case then just tell the kid he doesn't have any hope until next year. Kyrou has yet to play a game with San Antonio so I'm not sure what the plan is. I think Kostin deserves a look at the very least.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Is Kostin best forward in SA? If not, why does he deserve a look?

Honestly he did enough to warrant a spot out of camp. The Blues didn't have any flexibility on the roster without trading someone to fit him in. I'll put some value on what he's done so far this year in SA but it wouldn't be the most important aspect.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Honestly he did enough to warrant a spot out of camp. The Blues didn't have any flexibility on the roster without trading someone to fit him in. I'll put some value on what he's done so far this year in SA but it wouldn't be the most important aspect.
I honestly don't put a ton of value into preseason play, either. There is such a wide range of skill levels, players trying to avoid injury and limited strategy during those games. He also had a ton of penalties, so much more goes into an assessment of a player than just the counting stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad