Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I see a lot of people here saying to call Walker up because he is leading the team in scoring in the AHL. I'd like to ask those people, how many of those AHL leading scorers have materialized into anything recently? Leaders and recognizable names from a quick look -
10-11
League Leader Corey Locke 86pts
'11-12
League Leader Chris Bourque 93pts Maroon(3rd) had 74pts. Tyler Johnson had 68. Marchessault 64
'12-13
League Leader Brandon Pirri 75pts. Marchessault 67. Tyler Johnson 65. Gus Nyquist 60.
'13-14
League Leader Travis Morin 88pts. Mike Hoffman 67.
'14-15
League Leader Brian Oneill 80pts. Marchessault 67.
'15-16
League Leader Chris Bourque 80pts. Mikko Rantanen 60.

How many of those league leaders are even in the NHL right now, let alone playing a meaningful role? Cal O'Reilly and Cory Conacher have been top 10 for several years running now, why aren't they in the NHL? AHL stats for the most part mean jack ****. Kostin had a far better training camp/preseason than Walker did, and Walker has played regular season NHL games while being 5 years older.
That’s not how things work. The Blues aren’t gonna be like “yeah hey Nathan, we saw that Cal O’Reilly and Brian O’Neill put up a lot of points too but they’re scrubs, so therefore you must be one too.”

No. Walker is still young enough at 25 to be worth a look. He’s not written off just yet.

Do I have high expectations for him? No but it’s pretty short sighted to discredit him because of other players that have literally nothing in common with him besides the fact that they play in the same league.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Kostin will get his time up here this year if he earns it. Right now, Chief is going to flip around the pieces he already has up here to see if he can find some combos that click. I'd rather Kyrou and Kostin get meaningful minutes in the AHL as opposed to having a revolving door with Blais/Sanford/Fabbri/Mac

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I see a lot of people here saying to call Walker up because he is leading the team in scoring in the AHL. I'd like to ask those people, how many of those AHL leading scorers have materialized into anything recently? Leaders and recognizable names from a quick look -
10-11
'11-12
League Leader Chris Bourque 93pts Maroon(3rd) had 74pts. Tyler Johnson had 68. Marchessault 64
'12-13
League Leader Brandon Pirri 75pts. Marchessault 67. Tyler Johnson 65. Gus Nyquist 60.
'13-14
'14-15
'15-16

How many of those league leaders are even in the NHL right now, let alone playing a meaningful role? Cal O'Reilly and Cory Conacher have been top 10 for several years running now, why aren't they in the NHL? AHL stats for the most part mean jack ****. Kostin had a far better training camp/preseason than Walker did, and Walker has played regular season NHL games while being 5 years older.
It’s not really about calling up a guy who becomes an NHL star. It’s about rewarding a guy who is playing well (producing) in the immediate moment and riding out his hot streak. Is there someone on this forum who thinks Walker is poised for a good NHL career or even has a chance to make the roster next season?

I’m just saying, he’s earned it today and until his play shows otherwise, he’s the guy you call up. My expectations are that he’ll spend a few weeks up, get in a few games with limited minutes and more scratches, have a highlight or two, and wind up back in San Antonio when Kyrou, Kostin or someone else shows they’re ready, a bit later in the season.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I hate that kind of mentality. Vets over kids its so old time hockey. Give Walker his money under the table If that is reason to award him and give Koston opportunity to be with team few weeks and train with them and play few games. It will give him so much positive vibe and help to his progress.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I hate that kind of mentality. Vets over kids its so old time hockey. Give Walker his money under the table If that is reason to award him and give Koston opportunity to be with team few weeks and train with them and play few games. It will give him so much positive vibe and help to his progress.
It’s nothing to do with veteran status. It’s about winning. Promoting Kostin is the only move that treats the players differently based on factors other than their play on the ice. I’m just saying:

1) The players should be treated equally, evaluated purely according to their performance.
2) The Armstrong interview you posted, he seemed to be indicating Walker would be the one called up.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
klim plays the same style as maroon .. bozak is perfect for thomas to learn from .. but this line needs a banger ..

No, he really doesn't.
They may have a few elements to their game that are similar in that they gravitate towards the same places on the ice; but there are far too many things that are different to say they are similar.

Maroon had zero mobility. His saving grace was that he used his size and hands to make himself completely unmovable when he decided to park somewhere and nobody was able to defend against that. He didn't have the speed to be overly effective on the forecheck and was a complete nonfactor defensively.

Kostin is a very good skater. He very rarely tries to just out muscle players to stay in one spot. He'll use his legs to get away from pressure or dance around people to maintain position. His speed makes him very effective on the forecheck and gives him some untapped potential defensively(though he still has a lot to learn about playing defensive hockey).

Friedman's little quip about Maroon being a dinosaur was 100% accurate. He is one of 2 players left in the League that can be effective in the offensive zone with no mobility(the other being Joe Thornton).
Kostin is not that kind of player. Offensively, Kostin has more in common with Blais or Sunny than he does with Maroon. IMO Kostin has more innate skill than either of them, but all 3 are straight line players who drive the net and then turn on the "psycho" button in regards to the forecheck.

Having said that; I do tend to agree that Bozak would be a good guy for Kostin to learn from and I can see a lot of potential from a Kostin-Bozak-Thomas line. When Kostin does eventually come up, I hope Chief gives that line a few looks.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
10-11
'11-12
'12-13
'13-14
'14-15
'15-16

Kostin is currently on pace for 42 points over a full AHL season. He had 24 points through 66 games last season. He is woefully short of the offensive production of every "non-league-leader" that you cited.

AHL stats are absolutely not meaningless. If the gap between Walker and Kostin was 3 points, I'd agree that Walker's edge wouldn't mean much (if anything). But we are talking about a difference between 12 points and 5 points. That's a 101 point AHL pace vs a 42 point AHL pace. That's a completely different ballpark than the 20ish point gaps you are citing.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
And you the right Guy make judgement. Sorry m8.
560B3B74D2FDA03A913B12C772612AC57CB4A388

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
10-11
'11-12
'12-13
'13-14
'14-15
'15-16

How many NHL regulars couldn't find success in the AHL? Not every successful AHL player translates but much fewer unsuccessful AHL players do. There's a significant gap between Kostin's AHL production and all of the guys you've listed here.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
When he had two points in a game last week you were quiet. Only person I know who is rooting for a prospect to bust,

That is just pretty sad,
Am I?

Check in with @RampageNate

Kostin had a decent start and then faded in a big way because he lack hockey IQ and does not know how to use his line mates.

But keep up the false paradigm, @Strawman.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Am I?

Check in with @RampageNate

Kostin had a decent start and then faded in a big way because he lack hockey IQ and does not know how to use his line mates.

But keep up the false paradigm, @Strawman.
I’m sorry but what he says is kind of true. It seems that when Kostin doesn’t put of points he’s a plug, but when he does nothing is said by you.
People need to temper their expectations and remember every prospect is different as far as development goes.
He’s 20 years old and definitely a physical specimen with what I’d say adequate hockey IQ. The kid is showing inconsistency but he is also learning English in America so communication on the ice may not be where he would like it. Also playing with different players this year can take a bit to get used to.
It’s only been 10 games so saying he faded in a big way is silly. Seems like you made up your mind about him.
Remember a kid that’s getting used to a new country and only his 3rd year and still learning the North American game

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
When he had two points in a game last week you were quiet. Only person I know who is rooting for a prospect to bust,

That is just pretty sad,
I can't speak for CB, but I'm rooting for sanity to prevail. When many are suggesting a prospect be given what they haven't earned, I think it provides balance to establish the counter-point.

Or maybe this is just a frame of reference, that when you desperately want a prospect to be handed a Golden Ticket but they can't even be bothered to buy the candy bar, I guess it can be irritating when someone points out that the guy walked right past the candy store again.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Kostin got two points tonight.

Is everyone happy now?

snark snark

Yes I am happy. I hope he continues to produce, like almost every other Blues fan.

JK had a good game also. Always glad to see the kids do well and productive. It is great to have options in the minors and Jr.

That is 4 points in the last 5 games. Last season he tailed off in November, so let’s hope he keeps it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad