Prospect Info: Klim Kostin (31st overall in 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree. I hope Barbashev gets 3C with Sobotka on his wing to take face-offs. But if Sundqvist is in line for 3C, its unlikely he will be relegated to the press-box once he loses the battle. He can definitely play a 4th line role, and should beat Thorburn at the least, aside from spot games where we want a thug. I think Blues fans forget about him because he was an after-thought in the Reaves trade, but he is very much in the mix for one of the 4 open bottom 6 roles (Sobotka and Brodziak being the 2 set players). Bennett and Sanford may be 3rd line or bust, but Sundqvist is definitely capable in any 4th line role.

Edit: Also, Sundqvist is "in-house". Its not like we have to go out and get him. He has already been traded for. I know that's not what you meant, but it seems like he is an after-thought to a lot of Blues fans who don't realize we have him, he is good enough to play in the NHL, and that prior to the trade he in the plans for the defending Stanley Cup Champs to replace Cullen.
Thorburn not being in the lineup often would be ideal. I really don't care for him as a player.

Sundqvist on the 4th line I have no problem with. But to even be competing for a third line spot, either things went bad with our other guys and/or Sundqvist took a massive leap in development.

I think it would be better if Barbashev took the #3 spot, as he needs time with skilled players and has a fairly high ceiling. Barbashev' potential is a 2nd line center vs Sundqvist who tops out at 3rd line potential IMO.

If Barbashev plays as our 2nd line center and Sundqvist slots up to 3rd, then I am guessing either Fabbri or Schenn bombed at center or we have an injury to one of them/Stastny.

As for Kostin, I think he is in the AHL for most the year. Hopefully he proves me wrong with his play. If he comes up because of injuries then we might as well see how he looks.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wow Sundqvist 3rd liner aren't you guys bit ahead of yourselves now? If he gets 4th line spot over 10 games I think we've pretty darn bad injury bug or other guys just under perform. But I think he gets his fair share to play NHL, 'cus he was the one guy which Army was interested. Same road what Sandford get, justify the trade.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Wow Sundqvist 3rd liner aren't you guys bit ahead of yourselves now? If he gets 4th line spot over 10 games I think we've pretty darn bad injury bug or other guys just under perform. But I think he gets his fair share to play NHL, 'cus he was the one guy which Army was interested. Same road what Sandford get, justify the trade.

I don't think Armstrong was just interested in Sundquist when he traded for the chance to draft either Tolvanen or Kostin.

I don't know, just a hunch I have.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis

If he was Finnish, he'd be our 1C and you'd be complaining about a lack of respect for him, wouldn't you?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It was Armstrong who said Sunqvist would get a "look" at 3C. I agree with everyone that he is a 4th liner, and only a 3rd in case of injury. But he's definitely in the same league as Ranford, Paajarvi, Jaskin and maybe Bennett. He's definitely ahead of Kostin to keep it on topic.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It was Armstrong who said Sunqvist would get a "look" at 3C. I agree with everyone that he is a 4th liner, and only a 3rd in case of injury. But he's definitely in the same league as Ranford, Paajarvi, Jaskin and maybe Bennett. He's definitely ahead of Kostin to keep it on topic.

Yes, but again, he's said that about pretty much half of our roster. Sundqvist, Sobotka, Barbashev, Sanford, Thompson, Schenn, Fabbri, all reportedly "getting a look" at center. Not to mention Berglund when he comes back.

Pretending like trading Reaves and a 2nd for Kostin and Sundqvist was a bad trade we need to "justify" by playing Sundqvist is ridiculous. Quit trying to pretend like everything this team does is bad.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes, but again, he's said that about pretty much half of our roster. Sundqvist, Sobotka, Barbashev, Sanford, Thompson, Schenn, Fabbri, all reportedly "getting a look" at center. Not to mention Berglund when he comes back.

Pretending like trading Reaves and a 2nd for Kostin and Sundqvist was a bad trade we need to "justify" by playing Sundqvist is ridiculous. Quit trying to pretend like everything this team does is bad.

What? When did I ever say that was a bad trade. That was an amazing trade. I am arguing it was an even better trade in that Sundqvist should be on our roster because he is a good player. I think, intangibles aside (leadership, humor, etc), Sundqvist > Reaves. He should be a shoe-in on our 4th line. So 1st >> 2nd and Sundqvist > Reaves. What we got >>> What they got. Not at all a bad trade. Even if Sundqvist doesn't pan out at all, its still a great trade. Kostin's upside is worth more than we gave up. Just because I said Sundqvist is ahead of Kostin now, doesn't mean he is long term.

I don't recall a specific comment where Armstrong said any of the guys you listed will be looked at as a 3C. Fabbri and Scheen will be looked at as Cs, but that is top 6. I think Barbashev or Sobotka should be our 3C (with the other on the wing), but don't recall Armstrong ever specifically saying so. Armstrong has called Bradford and Thompson Cs before but never said they'd be ready next year for 3C. I only mentioned the fact that Armstrong said anything, to say Sundqvist is very much in the competition for a roster spot. He was being left out of line-ups people posted here. I said he should be above Jaskin/Thorburn for the 4th line role, as he is in the competition for 3rd line according to Armstrong.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
What? When did I ever say that was a bad trade. That was an amazing trade. I am arguing it was an even better trade in that Sundqvist should be on our roster because he is a good player. I think, intangibles aside (leadership, humor, etc), Sundqvist > Reaves. He should be a shoe-in on our 4th line. So 1st >> 2nd and Sundqvist > Reaves. What we got >>> What they got. Not at all a bad trade. Even if Sundqvist doesn't pan out at all, its still a great trade. Kostin's upside is worth more than we gave up. Just because I said Sundqvist is ahead of Kostin now, doesn't mean he is long term.

I don't recall a specific comment where Armstrong said any of the guys you listed will be looked at as a 3C. Fabbri and Scheen will be looked at as Cs, but that is top 6. I think Barbashev or Sobotka should be our 3C (with the other on the wing), but don't recall Armstrong ever specifically saying so. Armstrong has called Bradford and Thompson Cs before but never said they'd be ready next year for 3C. I only mentioned the fact that Armstrong said anything, to say Sundqvist is very much in the competition for a roster spot. He was being left out of line-ups people posted here. I said he should be above Jaskin/Thorburn for the 4th line role, as he is in the competition for 3rd line according to Armstrong.

I took that comment to mean that Sundqvist was viewed as more of a "skill" guy than a checker and would be used in a skill role if he makes the team; not that he was above our pure checkers on the depth chart.

While I admit that this is a year I wouldn't mind going with more of a "skill" 4th line(especially when Berglund returns and we can use Barbashev and Paajarvi as the anchors for that line), I think Brodziak, Jaskin and Thorburn are being treated as a separate entity and are practically locks on the 4th line. Obviously Camp performances could change that(and given that Sundqvist is reportedly a very good defensive player and wiling to throw his weight around he can certainly force a change), but I think the plan is to go into the year with those 3 as our "grind line". All of the "on the cusp" prospects are competing for the 3rd line spots(Sobi being a lock there, but his versatility means that he can fit with whoever the top 2 options are regardless of position).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Nope, sorry, that part was in reference to Ranksu's comments. Thought his post was quoted too, but clearly no. My bad dude!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I quote myself. Saying Sundqvist is 3rd liner is joke. Go fishing.

giphy.gif

Trade was superB, but think Sanford or Sundqvist will be difference makers is bit ahead of their head and can climb to 3rd liners if they do they will make it if we've major injury bug.

They're another dead bags like Jaskin, nothing more.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's Artemi Panarin. :laugh:

He's not big so I agree with your point, I just thought it was funny.

Ah i dont recognize him. I get the bread emoji now though.

Panarin is tiny though lol

gotta say it...if Kostin is friends with him...and he's best friends with Vladi......:)

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Ah i dont recognize him. I get the bread emoji now though.

Panarin is tiny though lol

gotta say it...if Kostin is friends with him...and he's best friends with Vladi......:)

I was thinking about that too lol. If we happened to trade Schwartz or Steen to NY for Tavares...we would have a LW opening..

Nvm he has another year on his deal after this year, but FA in 2019 you never know.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
I was thinking about that too lol. If we happened to trade Schwartz or Steen to NY for Tavares...we would have a LW opening..

Nvm he has another year on his deal after this year, but FA in 2019 you never know.

I have no idea how we would swing both panarin AND Tavares with their monster cap hits they will be demanding. Honestly though, if Columbus takes a step back this year, I could see him testing the free agency waters and it would be great to have him, if only to rub it in Chicago's face. But that's a little off topic, so I'll digress.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
A lot of guys just straight up don't like playing in Columbus. Add in Coach Torts on top of that, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Panarin trying to bail before his contract is up.

If Fabbri moves to center successfully, that opens up a good spot for Panarin with us.

Panarin-Fabbri-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kostin
Steen-Barbashev-Sobotka

Without Stastny's cap hit in the lineup, we have the flexibility to make it work. The real question is will Schenn and/or Fabbri stick at Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad