Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Fair comments. Watching on TV, I'm likely less engaged, but I thought that his game lacked some of the 'pop' that he has had previously. I thought that in a couple games lately, which was why I suggested some rest mixed in might be beneficial (once there are enough bodies around to permit it). KIT will certainly be looking to him for offence in the future, though, starting next year. We have seen enough to be confident that it will come. He and Hayes have been among the more impressive rookie scorers, given their draft position and age.
Seems like he’s hit that second half rookie “wall”. He’ll figure it out

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Soo fan here. That was maybe the best game I’ve watched all season. Two fantastic teams, anybody’s game until the last few minutes. You guys are even more dangerous with Mesar and HB in the lineup. Cheers!

K2

Jun 11, 2015
FB_IMG_1706393964963.jpg

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
It's been said before, and I know Mesar is out right now, but this PP needs a fresh start. Hopefully now that I posted this, they will get a few tonight.

section15

Dec 5, 2018
Absolutely gased in the 3rd. Zero control of the puck.
Missing the hugely significant pieces they are and being up 2-1 after 40 and after playing yesterday VS the Soo and being in that game at least on the score board until the very end....

I'll take the 2 losses and say they gave it what they could and in all reality with a full lineup both games would have been tough ones.

Now to clarify, I didnt listen to or see either games. This is based on following the score and seeing comments, interview etc.... and listening to interview after yesterdays game.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Missing the hugely significant pieces they are and being up 2-1 after 40 and after playing yesterday VS the Soo and being in that game at least on the score board until the very end....

I'll take the 2 losses and say they gave it what they could and in all reality with a full lineup both games would have been tough ones.

Now to clarify, I didnt listen to or see either games. This is based on following the score and seeing comments, interview etc.... and listening to interview after yesterdays game.
Definitely not being critical, just an unfortunate observation. All that matters now is getting healthy and gaining momentum into the playoffs.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Watched the Soo game yesterday…ok with result.

Didn’t watch the Saginaw game today but up 2-1 going into the 3rd with the line up as have….ok with result.

The team is playing with 5 16 year olds with all the injuries and suspensions. 2 of whom are not full time OHL players this year. Pretty sure Saginaw has only 1 16 year old who is Misa and not in his first OHL year. When 100% healthy and come playoffs the Rangers probably only have 2 (Reid and Lam) in the line up…although Romano is fighting his best fight to get a spot….what a huge improvement from him over the past month.

The boost we get when everyone (hopefully it happens this year) will be huge. I really like the 4 forward lines when healthy. Would I like a better 6th dman come playoffs….sure I would but too late for that. The top 4 is solid. Reid is 16 but is probably the 2nd best 16 year old in the league. Campbell is getting very valuable big minutes right now which will really come in handy once Reid / Ando are back and he get less minutes against the weaker lines. All this ice he is getting is 100% helping. And he is playing better I think then a month ago.

Let’s get healthy by playoffs and I like our chances against anyone. I’m not saying we are the favourite in a series against London or Saginaw but we won’t be a huge underdog.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
My takeaway from this weekend is Arquette and Macniel do not look out of place and will fit in nicely next year. Could very well have been everyday players if they’re wasn’t the 4 16 year old rule.
Face offs were 43-14 in favour of Saginaw with Rehkopf being 1/10. Albeit Beck and Hay are ridiculously good on the draw

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
My takeaway from this weekend is Arquette and Macniel do not look out of place and will fit in nicely next year. Could very well have been everyday players if they’re wasn’t the 4 16 year old rule.
Face offs were 43-14 in favour of Saginaw with Rehkopf being 1/10. Albeit Beck and Hay are ridiculously good on the draw
And Sag is loaded up and built for the Memorial Cup. Rangers were gassed by the 3rd and overwhelmed by a very solid Saginaw team. Now the young ones know what kind of team they need to be when its their turn.

Reactions: RB76

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Rangers with a healthy lineup are as dangerous an opponent asLDN or SAG. It will be who is healthy and playing as a team. Hot goaltending never hurt anyone. Looking forward to an interesting end of the regular season and 2 OHL TEAMS in the MemorialCup, Gotta love the OHL.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Rangers with a healthy lineup are as dangerous an opponent asLDN or SAG. It will be who is healthy and playing as a team. Hot goaltending never hurt anyone. Looking forward to an interesting end of the regular season and 2 OHL TEAMS in the MemorialCup, Gotta love the OHL.
I felt that Parsons and Malboeuf had a great weekend too. They are definitely making these games closer and giving the boys upfront a chance.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I felt that Parsons and Malboeuf had a great weekend too. They are definitely making these games closer and giving the boys upfront a chance.

It’s becoming normal out of those 2. What a trade the Malboeuf is turning into for a 5th and 7th. I think only reason why MM made the trade at the time was to bring in an ok older goalie so when they traded Parsons they had an ok goaltender to try to keep them in games. They didn’t expect to being going for it and also getting one if the best back up goalies in the league at the time of the trade. Ellinas and Campbell trade were both solid as well. Sale / Savard trade final grade will be if Sale comes back next year and is flipped for a decent return recouping most of the draft picks giving up. Could be a huge win if that happens. We get to go for it at very minimal costs and keep the future in tact if he returns. MM trades this year are an B+ grade and if Sale returns it turns into an A+ grade right away.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It’s becoming normal out of those 2. What a trade the Malboeuf is turning into for a 5th and 7th. I think only reason why MM made the trade at the time was to bring in an ok older goalie so when they traded Parsons they had an ok goaltender to try to keep them in games. They didn’t expect to being going for it and also getting one if the best back up goalies in the league at the time of the trade. Ellinas and Campbell trade were both solid as well. Sale / Savard trade final grade will be if Sale comes back next year and is flipped for a decent return recouping most of the draft picks giving up. Could be a huge win if that happens. We get to go for it at very minimal costs and keep the future in tact if he returns. MM trades this year are an B+ grade and if Sale returns it turns into an A+ grade right away.
It’s a little early to grade MM on trades this year including the deadline.

Earlier deals? For sure Malboeuf, Ellinas and Campbell were good moves at minimal cost. I really like all three acquisitions.

But what will decide his success on the season is:

A- The Sale / Savard deal and how they affect THIS year’s team. Sure the fact they are 05’s is a plus. But we were a first place team looking to improve our lot this year. If we crash and burn in the playoffs, I’m not giving him a passing grade at the deadline whether both return next year or not. Their returning next year won’t help this year’s team.

B- not adding more to the D in the form of an inexpensive OA (ie Punnett) vs keeping Martin as the third OA still needs to play out. Again, if we have success in the post season and Martin is top shelf, then all is good.

But if Martin can’t be that player or worse, and our thin D proves to be our weak link, and Sale doesn’t crank it up this year, MM won’t get a passing deadline grade from me.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

Earlier deals? For sure Malboeuf, Ellinas and Campbell were good moves at minimal cost. I really like all three acquisitions.

A- The Sale / Savard deal and how they affect THIS year’s team. Sure the fact they are 05’s is a plus. But we were a first place team looking to improve our lot this year. If we crash and burn in the playoffs, I’m not giving him a passing grade at the deadline whether both return next year or not. Their returning next year won’t help this year’s team.

B- not adding more to the D in the form of an inexpensive OA (ie Punnett) vs keeping Martin as the third OA still needs to play out. Again, if we have success in the post season and Martin is top shelf, then all is good.

But if Martin can’t be that player or worse, and our thin D proves to be our weak link, and Sale doesn’t crank it up this year, MM won’t get a passing deadline grade from me.

I was more grading on the trades he has made and not the outcome of the season. Did he fall short in getting 1 more vet D the fans think is needed…yes. But…the trades he did make are all winners (Malboeuf, Campbell and Ellinas clearly are huge winners) or still to be determined (Sale / Savard trade) based on Sale coming back and recouping picks. All trades made were solid is my point….no one can say he lost a trade. People can say he missed a trade…I get that.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

I agree with your assessment ES. Jives - in my opinion the outcome of the season has everything to do with the grade you give on the trades.

Don't forget MM practically gave away Hamara when giving a grade. Even if he was absolutely forced to make that trade, it has to be viewed as a fail to give away a dman of that caliber. I will say that he didn't sell the farm and give him a lot of credit for that. Also lots of credit for Malboeuf. Big question regarding keeping Martin though. To be determined I guess.

Right now I'd give him a B. The team is slightly weaker imo than the beginning of the year and the draft cupboard is similar. Outcome of the season, the success of Martin's return and Sale returning next season will move it up or down.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with your assessment ES. Jives - in my opinion the outcome of the season has everything to do with the grade you give on the trades.

Don't forget MM practically gave away Hamara when giving a grade. Even if he was absolutely forced to make that trade, it has to be viewed as a fail to give away a dman of that caliber. I will say that he didn't sell the farm and give him a lot of credit for that. Also lots of credit for Malboeuf. Big question regarding keeping Martin though. To be determined I guess.

Right now I'd give him a B. The team is slightly weaker imo than the beginning of the year and the draft cupboard is similar. Outcome of the season, the success of Martin's return and Sale returning next season will move it up or down.
And there has to be a fail somewhere with someone for Hamara demanding a trade to begin with.

Be it his utilization, or whatever.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

Players in:
Sale
Savard
Ellinas
Campbell
Malboeuf
Dirrocalo

Players out:
Hamara (demanded trade)
Schmidt (an OA had to go / not here beginning of year)
Morey
Scott

Imo we are slightly better then beginning of year. If you take Schmidt out of this as he wasn’t expect back and we had OA numbers its really lot not even close. Hamara is a bit better than Savard. But adding Sale, Ellinas, Campbell, Malboeuf and Dirrocalo for Morey and Scott…not even close.

And there has to be a fail somewhere with someone for Hamara demanding a trade to begin with.

Be it his utilization, or whatever.

And if his request was PP1 (not possible with Bruz) what do you do? Nobody knows 100% the reason why he demanded out. PP time has come up. It’s a shitty spot to be in as a GM.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I agree Hamara should have garnered more. Bulldog GM can play chess. Especially when you look at the impact he has had for the Bulldogs. Hopefully Martin stays healthy and it was worth the wait. Schmitd returning was a bit luck as they got to trade him for picks. Schmidt traded seems to be using his size now which is something the Ranger players are not particularly known for the last few seasons with the exception of a couple of players including this one. One would think if you draft size you do it for a reason. MM wasn't in a great position to make real impact trades this year. He isn't at the top as a horse trader yet.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I agree Hamara should have garnered more. Bulldog GM can play chess. Especially when you look at the impact he has had for the Bulldogs. Hopefully Martin stays healthy and it was worth the wait. Schmitd returning was a bit luck as they got to trade him for picks. Schmidt traded seems to be using his size now which is something the Ranger players are not particularly known for the last few seasons with the exception of a couple of players including this one. One would think if you draft size you do it for a reason. MM wasn't in a great position to make real impact trades this year. He isn't at the top as a horse trader yet.

Have to remember also that the east is not the west in the OHL. Hamara and Schmidt would have much better numbers from not being behind Bruz AND playing in the east. Hamara was giving PP2 time and a top 4D spot in Kit. That resulted point wise in 3 points in 18 games. AND Hamara has cooled off ALOT from his fire start in Brantford.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Have to remember also that the east is not the west in the OHL. Hamara and Schmidt would have much better numbers from not being behind Bruz AND playing in the east. Hamara was giving PP2 time and a top 4D spot in Kit. That resulted point wise in 3 points in 18 games. AND Hamara has cooled off ALOT from his fire start in Brantford.
Seems like Hamara kind of forced MM's hand. Jussi made the comment every player has to get ice time. I think in regard to the agenda going forward this season with the young defense.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Players in:
Sale
Savard
Ellinas
Campbell
Malboeuf
Dirrocalo

Players out:
Hamara (demanded trade)
Schmidt (an OA had to go / not here beginning of year)
Morey
Scott

Imo we are slightly better then beginning of year. If you take Schmidt out of this as he wasn’t expect back and we had OA numbers its really lot not even close. Hamara is a bit better than Savard. But adding Sale, Ellinas, Campbell, Malboeuf and Dirrocalo for Morey and Scott…not even close.

And if his request was PP1 (not possible with Bruz) what do you do? Nobody knows 100% the reason why he demanded out. PP time has come up. It’s a shitty spot to be in as a GM.
Slightly better than the very beginning of the year. But my benchmark, which I should have stated,(which is admittedly arbitrary) is before the Hamara trade. That's when the trades began for the most part. Hamara may have cooled offensively but from the Brantford games I've watched he's very sound defensively.

I gave Malboeuf credit in my assessment. Whatever Hamara demanded, he was worth much more than a 3rd and 4th. I don't think that's disputable. There was no rush to make that trade.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
On top of getting the PP clicking again, I'm hoping the faceoff department starts to pick it up the second half of the season as well.

It isn't the end of the world if you don't have elite faceoff winners but it sure helps to get control of the puck off the hop instead of chasing it.

Example last night... 43-14 Saginaw and head-to-head for the top two centers:
Sapovaliv: 18/20
Beck: 14/19

Rehkopf: 1/10
Sop: 5/16

This season Sop is a respectable 52.9% but Rehkopf only at 38.1%.

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
MM has done a masterful job. He also brought in Max Dirracolo. Best move was hiring the new coaching staff, Jussi, Jeff and Brad have made a huge difference. Players have developed well this season.

6 regulars out on Friday. 5 out on Saturday night and they made a game of it both times.

I love the way this team plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad