Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It certainly didn't show up on Sale's stat line in Barrie, but that may have had to do with the talent level of his linemates. He was an NHL first round pick for a reason.
Sale only had 20 points in Barrie. He still should have to earn his keep IMO. Hype doesn't put points up on the stat sheet. Hopefully he gets going in some capacity. That guy calling the game has illusions of grandeur saying the top line with Sale could turn out to be the highest scoring line in the league. He should cut his sugar intake in his pregame coffee down to five spoon fulls until that happens.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought Rangers pushback in the first was solid. They were not intimidated IMHO at all. BUT they were careful not to get sucked into penalties and certainly cleared the net to protect Parsons from the goon squad. The same goon squad that took out Mesar. Note to Burchell...there are few choir boys on that team.

London is tough in its own end but has issues when Rangers move the puck quickly and are hard on the puck. For me, first period to Kitchener.

Now, the 2nd period was more London than Kitchener. They are overly aggressive on the PK and ready to pounce on any mistake (as was on display for the shortie). The other goal of course was on the PP....the place that Kitchener does not want to be with the top PP in the league. No team does. Parsons was stellar. Lots of penalties both ways. Burchell was warming up.

I felt that the 3rd period started off well and Rangers were getting back to their game but then Burchell strikes again. That 5 on 3 was a game changer for London.

I'd like to note that the London Dive Team is back in action. One tap on a skate or bump of some sort, they fly to the ice...some mortally wounded in an Oscar-like fashion.

Overall.....not a blow out by London in any way. It was 2-2 up to receiving the 5 on 3 which put London ahead. Only a matter of time before they scored.

Issue.....Kitchener's best players were NOT their best players....unlike London who did their job. This MUST change in today's game. Oh....and more pucks on the net and less passing around like a hot potato. Shoot and go to the net.

Hopefully, no Burchell today.....
We were lucky to be tied after the first. If not for Parsons. We’d have been down a couple minimum.

Reactions: Slowpace and rve24

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just a note on the Ranger's no existent power play. It looks like the Ranger's are the short handed team. If they do get set up they look like they are passing a hot potato around hoping not to be the sacrificial goat that caused the next shorty.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just a note on the Ranger's no existent power play. It looks like the Ranger's are the short handed team. If they do get set up they look like they are passing a hot potato around hoping not to be the sacrificial goat that caused the next shorty.
They missed Mesar on the PP last night.

In fact, I thought Lam was one of the better forwards (playmaking) last night. If Mesar misses today, I’d put him in Mesar’s spot on PP1 and on the top line beside Rehkopf. Put Swick back on line one too.

Swick. Rehkopf. Lam.
Sale. Sop. Miseljevic.
Ellinas. Stark. Romano.
Bottineau. Mercer. Pugilese.

Reactions: Jives

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
They missed Mesar on the PP last night.

In fact, I thought Lam was one of the better forwards (playmaking) last night. If Mesar misses today, I’d put him in Mesar’s spot on PP1 and on the top line beside Rehkopf. Put Swick back on line one too.

Swick. Rehkopf. Lam.
Sale. Sop. Miseljevic.
Ellinas. Stark. Romano.
Bottineau. Mercer. Pugilese.
Good point Even. I agree about Lam. He makes plays and is one of the more creative players in the offensive end.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Good point Even. I agree about Lam. He makes plays and is one of the more creative players in the offensive end.

Yup…if Mesar is injured Lam was our best top 9 forward yesterday. Reward him.

One thing to remember is we were without our best LW and RW in Mesar and Martin (sorry Sale). Reid although young is clearly in our top 5 and takes a lot of ice. Hopefully everyone is back sooner than later. Once Mesar and Martin come back that really improves all top 3 lines.

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Take this for what it is but a caller on the post game show said he was talking to Reid. Reid told him 4-6 weeks with a broken hand apparently.

Again, nothing official.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Sale only had 20 points in Barrie. He still should have to earn his keep IMO. Hype doesn't put points up on the stat sheet. Hopefully he gets going in some capacity. That guy calling the game has illusions of grandeur saying the top line with Sale could turn out to be the highest scoring line in the league. He should cut his sugar intake in his pregame coffee down to five spoon fulls until that happens.
Yes, but you can't over look the fact that he had 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games at the World Junior Tournament with a +5. Not sure what was happening in Barrie but obviously a world class player. Juicy will have to figure it out.

Reactions: All the Answers

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yes, but you can't over look the fact that he had 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games at the World Junior Tournament with a +5. Not sure what was happening in Barrie but obviously a world class player. Juicy will have to figure it out.
I agree. The kid just needs to adjust to his new surroundings. Takes a bit to get use to new team mates and their habits.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Dirracollo is going to be a beast of a kid in a couple of seasons here in KW. If he is handled properly he will be one of the more physical defensemen on the OHL. 6' 4" 216 pounds already and growing. Kid isn't afraid of the physical side of the game just has to learn how to use his size properly. This is where Ando comes in to show him the ropes. Good find by the Rangers.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Dirracollo is going to be a beast of a kid in a couple of seasons here in KW. If he is handled properly he will be one of the more physical defensemen on the OHL. 6' 4" 216 pounds already and growing. Kid isn't afraid of the physical side of the game just has to learn how to use his size properly. This is where Ando comes in to show him the ropes. Good find by the Rangers.

like the kid but needs to work on foot speed all offseason. His 2nd penalty was because he got beat wide and couldn’t keep up.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
like the kid but needs to work on foot speed all offseason. His 2nd penalty was because he got beat wide and couldn’t keep up.
True Jives. I am sure the Rangers will zero in on those issues and give him some instructions for a summer routine. I don't think OHL teams are involved in how players work out in the off season but probably let them know what they need to work on to make their games better. Lots of player improve their skating over time. Stats show a plus 3 in seven games on the Ranger site.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I agree Sale, or anyone, should have to earn their ice time. Hopefully Sale pans out. I always have a sneaking suspicion that when "top prospects" are acquired and they can veto the trade (which is almost always) there's more to the deal, such as promised ice time, linemates, PP time etc.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree. The kid just needs to adjust to his new surroundings. Takes a bit to get use to new team mates and their habits.
I hope he adapts quicker than Mesar did. We need him to ramp it up this year.

I’d rather him pick it up this year and be a major contributor and lose him to the pros than have him struggle and be returned next year.

As a green rookie, he’ll be taken advantage of by the opposition the way a bad poker player gets taken advantage of at a poker table. He’s a mark. We saw that last night.

He’ll be a good one but needs work.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree Sale, or anyone, should have to earn their ice time. Hopefully Sale pans out. I always have a sneaking suspicion that when "top prospects" are acquired and they can veto the trade (which is almost always) there's more to the deal, such as promised ice time, linemates, PP time etc.
I thinks so also. I think Sale will fit in okay. At least he has played in the OHL and is use to the style of play here. He has the potential to be a top player.

Reactions: rangersblues

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
And his 1st penalty was due to not making a quick enough decision with the puck in his own end... many Rangers were guilty of this last night and led to unneeded sustained pressure in their own end.

Reactions: rangersblues

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I like everything but I’d switch Bott and Stark. Mercer line is playing great. Don’t break what’s working. Just keep giving them more ice time until others start playing with intensity. Just like Swick-Razor- Mesar. They were working. Getting Sale should have improved our 2nd and 3rd lines. Lines 1 and 4 were just fine. I like Lam getting a chance. I like Swick back with Razor. I like trying Sop / Sale. Will be interesting to see who gets the scratch when all forwards are healthy. I think we all assumed Ellinas would take over 3rd line center when healthy but I think he has only played 1 game this year as center.

Kitchener at London:

Swick-Rehkopf-Lam
Sale-Sop-Misaljevic
Ellinas-Romano-Bottineau
Stark-Mercer-Pugliese

Andonovski-Brzustewicz
Motew-Savard
Dirracolo-Campbell

Malboeuf

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I like everything but I’d switch Bott and Stark. Mercer line is playing great. Don’t break what’s working. Just keep giving them more ice time until others start playing with intensity. Just like Swick-Razor- Mesar. They were working. Getting Sale should have improved our 2nd and 3rd lines. Lines 1 and 4 were just fine. I like Lam getting a chance. I like Swick back with Razor. I like trying Sop / Sale. Will be interesting to see who gets the scratch when all forwards are healthy. I think we all assumed Ellinas would take over 3rd line center when healthy but I think he has only played 1 game this year as center.

Kitchener at London:

Swick-Rehkopf-Lam
Sale-Sop-Misaljevic
Ellinas-Romano-Bottineau
Stark-Mercer-Pugliese

Andonovski-Brzustewicz
Motew-Savard
Dirracolo-Campbell

Malboeuf
I agree about keeping Bottineau, Mercer and Pugs together. They have chemistry and feed off each other. Why mess with that?

Reactions: sbpointer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad