Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
And we remain in 1st place thanks to Sudbury walking into the Soo and taking it to them.

Well, that's not exactly how I saw it go down from my seat last night. But the end result is indisputable.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This may be unpopular but I’m going to throw it out there because when we’re in the position we’re in this year, we have to explore every possibility if we are looking to make a splash at the deadline, especially when we have as thin a draft cupboard as we do.

Reid and Romano will have NTC’s. Lam likely does not. To close a deal for high end additions, moving Lam in the off season, as the second part of a two parter at this deadline, shouldn’t be off the table, especially if Reid / Romano refuse to waive their NTC’s.

If the strength of our 07 group allows MM to contemplate moving a 1st rounder, it should also allow him to contemplate moving Lam. Sure, Lam is having a great start to his OHL career, but that should also play into our favour. He may be a more desirable asset today than a Romano and could allow us to outbid another team, say Saginaw (Young), if talks for a high end player or package starts and ends with a quality 07.

We are deep with what looks like a strong 07 forward group.
Romano
Lam
Stark
Arquette

Once you factor in that next year’s sell off would easily replace the loss of one of these via trade, moving a Lam over a Romano would make some sense if a trade partner demands he be involved or the deal is dead, and the Rangers are 100% focused on the player(s) from that team.

Back in the day, DeBoer wanted Mason hands down and because of that, Mark Hunter said Kadri or no deal. Hunter forced DeBoer’s hand.

Later, the only way we could get the JM Rizk deal done was to include 16 year old Jack Combs as the second part of a two parter.

These deals do happen from time to time.

Again, I’m not an advocate of trading 1st rounders, and I think it’s safe to group Lam in as being of that calibre.

But we are where we are in the standings and have holes to fill and have a thin draft cupboard. This would be just another way for MM to get inventive.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Depth D shouldn’t cost that, but if we’re replacing Schmidt and Hamara, two NHL drafted vets, depth D won’t cut it.

At no point did those 2 play together this season. We are looking for a 3/4 guy to play with Motew and a 5/6 vet. So if at best we are looking for a 3 guy (Hamara or Scmidt) do I include Lam in that trade.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
At no point did those 2 play together this season. We are looking for a 3/4 guy to play with Motew and a 5/6 vet. So if at best we are looking for a 3 guy (Hamara or Scmidt) do I include Lam in that trade.
Doesn’t matter that they didn’t play together. If we want solid veteran presence on all three pairs, bringing in two vets, say an 3rd and 4th, accomplishes two things.

First, bumps one of Reid / Campbell out of the top six. Do not want one of them on the 2nd pairing on a deep playoff run and cannot have them as the third pairing.

Second, a solid incoming 3rd and 4th means Motew bumped to 4th meaning a high end top four and a vet 4th on the 3rd pairing with one of Reid / Campbell would round out the 6 quite nice.

Have to have depth on D for a long playoff run.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Doesn’t matter that they didn’t play together. If we want solid veteran presence on all three pairs, bringing in two vets, say an 3rd and 4th, accomplishes two things.

First, bumps one of Reid / Campbell out of the top six. Do not want one of them on the 2nd pairing on a deep playoff run and cannot have them as the third pairing.

Second, a solid incoming 3rd and 4th means Motew bumped to 4th meaning a high end top four and a vet 4th on the 3rd pairing with one of Reid / Campbell would round out the 6 quite nice.

Out of curiosity why don’t you want Reid on a second pairing in a deep playoff run? He’s been solid all year and I went to Friday's game against Flint and yesterday's game in Owen Sound and he looked like our best defenseman both nights. If anything I would bring in a solid #3 D and bump Motew down to play with Campbell. You can then sit Campbell and have Ando and Brz go as a top pair and platoon #3 D/Motew/Reid when the games get tight.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
I thought that the only 16 yo players that could be traded were first-rounders, and then only at the trade deadline? Is that incorrect?

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Trying to figure out how long Kitchener has been in first. Beginning of November? I just find it crazy how long they have sat at the top. Soo, Saginaw and London always close behind. Not having anyone jump past at least for a weekend seems crazy to me.

Great game against Owen Sound. This is a special group, very excited for the next couple of years.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought that the only 16 yo players that could be traded were first-rounders, and then only at the trade deadline? Is that incorrect?
True. But in the past, two part deals have occurred where the 16 year old is moved in the off season as part two of a two part deal. Jack Combs was a good example of that here.

So a two part deal could happen at this deadline where Lam is moved in this off season to complete the deal.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
True. But in the past, two part deals have occurred where the 16 year old is moved in the off season as part two of a two part deal. Jack Combs was a good example of that here.

So a two part deal could happen at this deadline where Lam is moved in this off season to complete the deal.
Certainly hope MM doesn't entertain trading Lam. IMO he will have a huge impact here in Kitchener over the next few years. The kid can dangle like nobodies business.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Out of curiosity why don’t you want Reid on a second pairing in a deep playoff run? He’s been solid all year and I went to Friday's game against Flint and yesterday's game in Owen Sound and he looked like our best defenseman both nights. If anything I would bring in a solid #3 D and bump Motew down to play with Campbell. You can then sit Campbell and have Ando and Brz go as a top pair and platoon #3 D/Motew/Reid when the games get tight.
1st and 2nd pairings regularly see minutes against the opposition’s top two lines. That’s fine in rounds one and maybe two (your Flint and Owen Sound examples). But if we get to the third round, say post deadline Saginaw, that team’s top two if not three lines will be right up there with most team’s top line.

I’d rather not have a green 16 year old playing regular minutes vs that calibre player every shift. That’ll be asking a lot. I’d feel much more comfortable spotting him minutes vs bottom six lines where he can excel. Say 12-15 minutes a night while the top five play the remainder. Ditto Campbell. I’d love to see five solid vets on the backend going into the post season.

The last time we used a 16 year old D on a deep playoff run was Murphy in 2010. Our depth on D was one issue in not finishing off the Spits. Spott said as much after we were eliminated. Wished he’d have traded for a veteran D.

Reid is good, but he isn’t near the calibre Murphy was at 16.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Certainly hope MM doesn't entertain trading Lam. IMO he will have a huge impact here in Kitchener over the next few years. The kid can dangle like nobodies business.
I’d rather not see him moved either. But we fell in love with Yves Bastien here a few years ago and nobody was happy when he was moved as part of the package for Steve Downie.

How did that deal work out for us?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

And knock on wood, we've been healthy so far this season.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
IMG_6480.jpeg
His time to shine. I’m feeling a sneaky/under the radar trade.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Reid and Romano will have NTC’s. Lam likely does not
All players, and their parents, must agree in writing to any trade while players are U18 and/or in highschool as part of the OHL Standard Player Agreement.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 5.58.54 PM.png

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Reid, Romano and Lam would be involved (the starting point) in a Beck or Nelson type of player trade. I just don’t see MM getting this big of a player.

Reid > Murphy - playing defence as a 16 year old which is more important come playoff time.

As far as I remember Bastien was all speed with zero hands. Lam is putting up .6 ppg as a 16 year old. Bastien never did that in his whole OHL career.

I’d be willing to bet some big bucks Reid, Romano and Lam do not get moved. I don’t think MM is looking for that big of a player in the next 10 days that any of these players are involved.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Just keep it simple at the trade deadline. No need to mess too badly with a good thing going. Team chemistry means a lot.

Vilmanis seems to be the import to add from most of our opinions. He should not be too costly, think of Hamara value.

I’d look to add a #4/5 defenceman. Someone more physical and defensive. I’m in the minority but I would rather see Reid play second pair in the playoffs. He is 16 and is the future of the back end. Give him that experience.

Just keep it simple at the trade deadline. No need to mess too badly with a good thing going. Team chemistry means a lot.

Vilmanis seems to be the import to add from most of our opinions. He should not be too costly, think of Hamara value.

I’d look to add a #4/5 defenceman. Someone more physical and defensive. I’m in the minority but I would rather see Reid play second pair in the playoffs. He is 16 and is the future of the back end. Give him that experience.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
1st and 2nd pairings regularly see minutes against the opposition’s top two lines. That’s fine in rounds one and maybe two (your Flint and Owen Sound examples). But if we get to the third round, say post deadline Saginaw, that team’s top two if not three lines will be right up there with most team’s top line.

I’d rather not have a green 16 year old playing regular minutes vs that calibre player every shift. That’ll be asking a lot. I’d feel much more comfortable spotting him minutes vs bottom six lines where he can excel. Say 12-15 minutes a night while the top five play the remainder. Ditto Campbell. I’d love to see five solid vets on the backend going into the post season.

The last time we used a 16 year old D on a deep playoff run was Murphy in 2010. Our depth on D was one issue in not finishing off the Spits. Spott said as much after we were eliminated. Wished he’d have traded for a veteran D.

Reid is good, but he isn’t near the calibre Murphy was at 16.
I have Reid ahead of Murphy in the defensive zone but that doesn't matter.
The Rangers do need 2 more dmen that can play big along with HB and MAndo. I suspect Jussi with adjust the schemes and have the forwards more defensively aware and come back harder to help the d-corps.
The team is fine upfront after Martin comes back, no assets need to be spent there.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad