Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Vilmanis to play with Lam on 3rd line.

Maybe another vet 3rd liner.

2 depth D man.

This doesn’t cost one of our young stars.

Nicely said HabsRlues.

Reactions: Habsrule

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I don’t think it has been mentioned in this recent activity but Tanner Lam CANNOT be traded.

Reid and Romano are the only eligible 16 year olds that can be traded as 1st round picks.

Go get Owen Beck and Konnor Smith, MM!

Lets also hope Pobezal opts to come to NA… only 1:29 TOI in his last game and personally think coming to NA now would help him adjust so he can hit the ground running for his DE season next year.

Reactions: RB76

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reid, Romano and Lam would be involved (the starting point) in a Beck or Nelson type of player trade. I just don’t see MM getting this big of a player.

Reid > Murphy - playing defence as a 16 year old which is more important come playoff time.

As far as I remember Bastien was all speed with zero hands. Lam is putting up .6 ppg as a 16 year old. Bastien never did that in his whole OHL career.

I’d be willing to bet some big bucks Reid, Romano and Lam do not get moved. I don’t think MM is looking for that big of a player in the next 10 days that any of these players are involved.
At the time of the trade, Bastien was at ten goals and looked to be a higher end OHLer going forward.

If Reid brings more of a contribution in the post season than Murphy did at 16 I’ll eat my hat.

I’d bet big bucks on it too. But that doesn’t mean it won’t be considered.

Reactions: All the Answers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t think it has been mentioned in this recent activity but Tanner Lam CANNOT be traded.

Reid and Romano are the only eligible 16 year olds that can be traded as 1st round picks.

Go get Owen Beck and Konnor Smith, MM!

Lets also hope Pobezal opts to come to NA… only 1:29 TOI in his last game and personally think coming to NA now would help him adjust so he can hit the ground running for his DE season next year.
Jack Combs couldn’t be traded either. But he was as part of a two part deal - as can Lam.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just keep it simple at the trade deadline. No need to mess too badly with a good thing going. Team chemistry means a lot.

Vilmanis seems to be the import to add from most of our opinions. He should not be too costly, think of Hamara value.

I’d look to add a #4/5 defenceman. Someone more physical and defensive. I’m in the minority but I would rather see Reid play second pair in the playoffs. He is 16 and is the future of the back end. Give him that experience.

Just keep it simple at the trade deadline. No need to mess too badly with a good thing going. Team chemistry means a lot.

Vilmanis seems to be the import to add from most of our opinions. He should not be too costly, think of Hamara value.

I’d look to add a #4/5 defenceman. Someone more physical and defensive. I’m in the minority but I would rather see Reid play second pair in the playoffs. He is 16 and is the future of the back end. Give him that experience.
Chemistry does mean a lot. That’s why we address our depth up front. But adding only one D won’t be enough. Reid is the future of the backend and will develop just fine on the third pairing.

Throwing him to the wolves expecting him to succeed going head to head against high end veteran forwards on a regular basis isn’t fair to him.

Get two veteran D. We need the veteran depth.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If MM trades Lam I hope this guy goes with him. When Lam puts on a bit of beef he will be at the top of the point stats in the near future. Already skating circles around opposition vets.
If you canvass Hamilton Bulldog fans, not many are ruing the day they traded 16 year old 1st rounder and future OHL star Connor McMicheal in the Rob Thomas deal.

Just sayin.

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If you canvass Hamilton Bulldog fans, not many are ruing the day they traded 16 year old 1st rounder and future OHL star Connor McMicheal in the Rob Thomas deal.

Just sayin.
Even I would rather canvass Ranger fans. :) Just my opinion but it has taken years for the Rangers to have a great draft and get the opportunity to acquire a player with the skill of Lam. Could be wrong but I believe he lead his league in scoring before the draft. If MM trades him I will be pissed but that's just me. I certainly hope it's worth it if it came to this. I do understand as most do the Rangers are in tough as far as assets this trade deadline. MM and his staff will really have to get creative to improve this squad with limited draft picks. Wonder how shocked us fans will be if he decides to stick to his plan for 2027 hosting and goes with the status quo. Rangers are in a grey area. I do think they have some sort of deal going after sending young Max Dirracolo back to his team. Just speculating like everyone else. These next two weeks will be interesting.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Even I would rather canvass Ranger fans. :) Just my opinion but it has taken years for the Rangers to have a great draft and get the opportunity to acquire a player with the skill of Lam. Could be wrong but I believe he lead his league in scoring before the draft. If MM trades him I will be pissed but that's just me. I certainly hope it's worth it if it came to this. I do understand as most do the Rangers are in tough as far as assets this trade deadline. MM and his staff will really have to get creative to improve this squad with limited draft picks. Wonder how shocked us fans will be if he decides to stick to his plan for 2027 hosting and goes with the status quo. Rangers are in a grey area. I do think they have some sort of deal going after sending young Max Dirracolo back to his team. Just speculating like everyone else. These next two weeks will be interesting.
I wouldn’t be happy dealing quality youth either. But, we are what we are this year - a top contender. It’s taken years for us to be in this position.

And our asset base is what it is too - thin.

IMO, if MM goes with the status quo, it would be just as foolish as going all in last year. He has to address our depth and holes on D.

I’d rather he sold than stand pat.

Last edited:

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
This coaching staff might be our biggest asset?

If we go far this year, IMO in large part it will be how much this coaching staff can get out of this group. It’s tough either way MM decides to go but if he can make some tough decisions on pieces that maybe don’t fit longer term and add a few key pieces we could be watching something special over the next several years.

Reactions: OhSheilaa

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
Chemistry does mean a lot. That’s why we address our depth up front. But adding only one D won’t be enough. Reid is the future of the backend and will develop just fine on the third pairing.

Throwing him to the wolves expecting him to succeed going head to head against high end veteran forwards on a regular basis isn’t fair to him.

Get two veteran D. We need the veteran depth.
As an outsider, I realize MM got a good return for Roman Schmidt, but likely going to cost as much to fill that massive hole?

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
As an outsider, I realize MM got a good return for Roman Schmidt, but likely going to cost as much to fill that massive hole?
It likely will cost as much to fill that hole, but it was necessary for that move to be made as Martin will really shore up the forward depth. Getting down to 3 OAs was a big part of the equation. Martin is a beast PF (when healthy), Sop is tearing it up, and Motew is more solid defensively and makes better puck decisions than Schmidt. If Martin was ever slated to return from injury it was obvious from a Rangers perspective who would be odd man out.

As has been said, ideally the F import spot could be filled for free with Pozebel, and add 2 3-5 quality D men and see where this run goes.

If this isn't feasible, sell the whole thing, lol.

Reactions: Slowpace

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Trading Lam….you are now searching for a 3rd liner. I think we are all happy with Lam playing 3rd line. I actually don’t mind him even on 2nd line with 2 vets to give us a better 3rd line. But either way he is clearly in our top 9 and if traded we need to find another top 9 forward.

Trading Reid…some see him as a 3/4 guy I think everyone can agree he is perfectly fine as a 5/6 guy at worst. Trade him and as now need to acquire another D.

Trading Romano…he unfortunately is going to be in a tough spot looking for ice time after trade deadline imo. I am still holding onto him.

Players that imo have a spot on the team 100%. If you trade any of these players we will need to replace them.
F
1. Carson
2. Mesar
3. Sop
4. Swick
5. Misa
6. Martin
7. Lam
8. Pug (4th line)

D
1. Hunter
2. Ando
3. Motew
4. Reid

G
Parson

You can maybe add some others to the list maybe but I could see them being trade bait. The biggest 3 probably being Campbell, Bottineau (value growing) and Ellinas BUT you need to offer value to get some vet depth help. These are my 3 players on the roster that I think MM will be most inclined to trade. Not that you want to trade them but the Morey, Mercer and Scott type players aren’t bringing you back a player of importance. I can see them being an add on to give them ice time and to fill a void the trading partners team will have in trading away their players but they don’t carry a lot of value in a straight up trade.

Things I’m willing to move in order.

Morey and Scott.

Mercer (solid 4th line center though)

Large collection of picks not counting 6ths and higher as they have little value.
2024 - 4th and 5th
2025 - 4th and 5th
2026 - 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th (we can recoup the 2nds in trades next year)
2027 - 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

After all those picks in order I’m wiling to part with….
Bottineau
Campbell
Ellinas
2024 3rd
2024 3rd
2024 2nd
Stark (off-season 2 part trade)
Romano
Lam (off-season 2 part trade)
Reid

With all that being said this is why I don’t see the 4 2023 drafted players being traded (bottom of my list). We have clearly enough assets to acquire 1 decent import. If that import is a F then 1 more depth F and 2 D. If that import is a D then I more depth D and 2 vet 3rd liners with 1 of those depth F being able to put up decent points.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
IMG_4309.jpeg

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Trading Lam….you are now searching for a 3rd liner. I think we are all happy with Lam playing 3rd line. I actually don’t mind him even on 2nd line with 2 vets to give us a better 3rd line. But either way he is clearly in our top 9 and if traded we need to find another top 9 forward.

Trading Reid…some see him as a 3/4 guy I think everyone can agree he is perfectly fine as a 5/6 guy at worst. Trade him and as now need to acquire another D.

Trading Romano…he unfortunately is going to be in a tough spot looking for ice time after trade deadline imo. I am still holding onto him.

Players that imo have a spot on the team 100%. If you trade any of these players we will need to replace them.
F
1. Carson
2. Mesar
3. Sop
4. Swick
5. Misa
6. Martin
7. Lam
8. Pug (4th line)

D
1. Hunter
2. Ando
3. Motew
4. Reid

G
Parson

You can maybe add some others to the list maybe but I could see them being trade bait. The biggest 3 probably being Campbell, Bottineau (value growing) and Ellinas BUT you need to offer value to get some vet depth help. These are my 3 players on the roster that I think MM will be most inclined to trade. Not that you want to trade them but the Morey, Mercer and Scott type players aren’t bringing you back a player of importance. I can see them being an add on to give them ice time and to fill a void the trading partners team will have in trading away their players but they don’t carry a lot of value in a straight up trade.

Things I’m willing to move in order.

Morey and Scott.

Mercer (solid 4th line center though)

Large collection of picks not counting 6ths and higher as they have little value.
2024 - 4th and 5th
2025 - 4th and 5th
2026 - 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th (we can recoup the 2nds in trades next year)
2027 - 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

After all those picks in order I’m wiling to part with….
Bottineau
Campbell
Ellinas
2024 3rd
2024 3rd
2024 2nd
Stark (off-season 2 part trade)
Romano
Lam (off-season 2 part trade)
Reid

With all that being said this is why I don’t see the 4 2023 drafted players being traded (bottom of my list). We have clearly enough assets to acquire 1 decent import. If that import is a F then 1 more depth F and 2 D. If that import is a D then I more depth D and 2 vet 3rd liners with 1 of those depth F being able to put up decent points.
Any possible trade involving Lam would have to be a two parter where he isn’t moved until the off season. So he’d still be available to us on this run the same way Kadri was in 08.

Morey, Scott and Mercer have little to no trade value. We’d have to add multiple picks to bring in any player of consequence.

Young players of interest to other teams are the 07’s, Bottineau, Ellinas, Campbell, and any other drafted player we hold the rights to who a team may get to report. Meaning NCAA commits. The likes of Longacre for example. In other words, the way Hunter B came to us.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th from Sudbury aren’t ours to move unless Hage reports, and he isn’t.

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ellinas has really stepped up his game and will be a solid player going forward. I could see him being of interest for sure at the deadline. He is going to score a bunch of goals in the second half IMO. None of us know what MM's plans are at this deadline. Rangers have shown they can beat a lot of teams with a full healthy line up. MM knows he has a shot this year. As mentioned many times one of the biggest weaknesses is veteran shut down Dmen. Usually trade rumours pop up somewhere but this year has been deathly quiet.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Ik it’s far fetched and unlikely, but what if McKenzie’s blue line move is bringing in Drew Fortescue

Reactions: flamebird

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ik it’s far fetched and unlikely, but what if McKenzie’s blue line move is bringing in Drew Fortescue
Kranger who is this Fortescue you speak of?:)

Fantastic win today! I love hearing coach Jussi's comments after the game. I can see why the players respond to him.

Pug Life scores the game winner. He Mercer and Bottineau are so much fun to watch.
We enjoyed Jussi's comments also. Never knew he played goal. Always tells it like it is with real honest opinions of the game and the way certain players perform at various times. Also Shielaa love that moniker "Pug Life".:)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We drafted Fortescue a couple years ago. No report who’s playing at Boston College.

Any reason to be bringing him up? A genuine possibility or just pulling his name out of the air?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Maybe he can bring his teammate Cutter with him……

MM would love to have Drew here. That’s a random name to add?

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Just pulling a name because I’ve liked his game at the Wjs and NYR 3rd rounder ( name popped up because he’s been active on Kitch instagram page). MM has had some success with guys choosing Kitchener over BC. I’d give it a 5% chance he’s shows up as I didn’t realize he’s playing first pairing as a freshman.

I’ve hard zsolt was at both Barrie games this week , so maybe some traction there?

Things should start picking up across the league this week.OA trade deadline Jan 9th, trade deadline on the 10th

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Just pulling a name because I’ve liked his game at the Wjs and NYR 3rd rounder. MM has had some success with guys choosing Kitchener over BC. I’d give it a 5% chance he’s shows up as I didn’t realize he’s playing first pairing as a freshman.

I’ve hard zsolt was at both Barrie games this week , so maybe some traction there?

Things should start picking up across the league this week.OA trade deadline Jan 9th, trade deadline on the 10th
I think 5% might even be high getting him to jump.

As an aside, is it possible that CHL players such as Brzustewicz get shunned by the USA teams on the chance that the colleges frown upon them trying to get college players to jump to their CHL teams? Just a thought.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think 5% might even be high getting him to jump.

As an aside, is it possible that CHL players such as Brzustewicz get shunned by the USA teams on the chance that the colleges frown upon them trying to get college players to jump to their CHL teams? Just a thought.
More than possible. Evident is more like it. I could understand if he went to their camp and beat out of a spot by Hutson and others.

But to not even get an invite with the season he’s having? Yes, much more than possible.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad