Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Does it say anything besides they met, it went well, and things look good for future relations?
The only really important info is that the chance of a buyout is pretty much nonexistent.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Does it say anything besides they met, it went well, and things look good for future relations?
Yeah, it sounds like both sides expect he'll play out his current contract come over in 2020. There was also further confirmation that the lack of a transfer agreement between the leagues means that we can't really lose his rights.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Damn, wish CF had done that earlier. Still, a 23 year old stud will be welcome, when and if.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
yeah, it seems that he just doesn't want to be here. Shades of Gaborik?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
yeah, it seems that he just doesn't want to be here. Shades of Gaborik?
I disagree. Going entirely by the limited number of interviews we have with him, he seems to have a pretty low-key disposition; willing to take things one step at at time, but not unambitious. He says he wants to play in the NHL, and I see no reason to doubt that. I also see no reason for him to dislike Minnesota in particular. Quite the contrary: it's a good, but not great team that could genuinely use his contributions, without being a pressure-cooker like some markets. It's a great starting point, even if that's all he sees it as.

I have a high degree of confidence that he comes over in 2020. It would be great to have him sooner, but it's not an acute need. I also think it's highly likely that he actually likes it in Minnesota once he comes over. It's a pretty nice place to be professional hockey player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I disagree. Going entirely by the limited number of interviews we have with him, he seems to have a pretty low-key disposition; willing to take things one step at at time, but not unambitious. He says he wants to play in the NHL, and I see no reason to doubt that. I also see no reason for him to dislike Minnesota in particular. Quite the contrary: it's a good, but not great team that could genuinely use his contributions, without being a pressure-cooker like some markets. It's a great starting point, even if that's all he sees it as.

I have a high degree of confidence that he comes over in 2020. It would be great to have him sooner, but it's not an acute need. I also think it's highly likely that he actually likes it in Minnesota once he comes over. It's a pretty nice place to be professional hockey player.

He signs a 3 year deal to stay in the KHL, but wants to play in the NHL? Huh? Sorry, but that says to me that he either doesn't want to play in the NHL, or that he doesn't want to play in Minnesota.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He signs a 3 year deal to stay in the KHL, but wants to play in the NHL? Huh? Sorry, but that says to me that he either doesn't want to play in the NHL, or that he doesn't want to play in Minnesota.
And he held off on signing that deal for about as long as he could in hopes that Fletcher/Minnesota would show up and give him an option. They never showed up.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I meant eventually. His realistic options are to spend his entire career in the KHL (or Europe, I suppose) or come over and play for the Wild. I'd be surprised if he plans on spending the next decade over there. Him choosing to stay an extra 2 years (since the 1st year of that extension overrode the last year of his current deal) doesn't strike me as the snub some seem to be taking it as.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The delay is going to end up helping us when Seattle expansion happens, and he'll be a fully developed 23 year old. Getting over the inconvenience of the now, I think it'll work out greatly for us.

Reactions: Bazeek

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That's what I'm thinking. I think if you want to be here...you don't need to be courted.
I don't know, man. Put the shoe on the other foot: if you were a pro hockey player and the KHL was the best league and you were drafted by a team that wasn't a big name like "Blackhawks" or "Rangers", a team that you knew really nothing about and had never been in contact with, would you just jump at the chance to move to... oh let's say Cherepovets? Can you find that on a map without Google? I couldn't. Can Kaprizov find Minnesota on a map without it? Even better in this scenario, you need to learn Russian, and nobody on your team speaks English. That'd be a fun challenge for some, and a complete headache of a first year for others. I won't lie, I love hockey and wish I could play it at the highest level, but if I could get paid millions of dollars to play it at home, I might need some convincing to move to Cherepovets. I don't think that's an outrageous thing to ask for, a little convincing.

I think I'm with Bazeek on this. Some of us see it as a snub because we allow ourselves to become so emotionally invested in a hockey team, but the fact of the matter is that he signed for 2 extra seasons in the KHL after not really having any contact with the team that holds his NHL rights. After that, he appears to want to play for the Wild. If that's a snub, we've got a really low bar for getting offended.

Reactions: Bazeek

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This feels like a High School conversation.

Wild to Kaprizov's agent: We drafted him so we like him.
Agent to Kaprizov: The Wild like you.
Kaprizov to Agent: I'm interested them too, but do they "like me" like me?
Agent to Wild: He's interested, you should ask him to prom.
Wild to Agent: We'd love to, but we can't this year. Next year for sure
Agent to Kaprizov: They said wait a year.

Agent gets fired and Kaprizov finds someone else to go steady with for a few years.

Reactions: 57special

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I don't know, man. Put the shoe on the other foot: if you were a pro hockey player and the KHL was the best league and you were drafted by a team that wasn't a big name like "Blackhawks" or "Rangers", a team that you knew really nothing about and had never been in contact with, would you just jump at the chance to move to... oh let's say Cherepovets? Can you find that on a map without Google? I couldn't. Can Kaprizov find Minnesota on a map without it? Even better in this scenario, you need to learn Russian, and nobody on your team speaks English. That'd be a fun challenge for some, and a complete headache of a first year for others. I won't lie, I love hockey and wish I could play it at the highest level, but if I could get paid millions of dollars to play it at home, I might need some convincing to move to Cherepovets. I don't think that's an outrageous thing to ask for, a little convincing.

I think I'm with Bazeek on this. Some of us see it as a snub because we allow ourselves to become so emotionally invested in a hockey team, but the fact of the matter is that he signed for 2 extra seasons in the KHL after not really having any contact with the team that holds his NHL rights. After that, he appears to want to play for the Wild. If that's a snub, we've got a really low bar for getting offended.

My point is...we aren't that name so why come here.
If the dream is the NHL...you shouldn't need to be courted no matter who drafts you...especially when that team holds your rights indefinitely.
Does he want to play in the NHL or doesn't he? His only option is here without a trade so for me...it is that simple.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
My point is...we aren't that name so why come here.
If the dream is the NHL...you shouldn't need to be courted no matter who drafts you...especially when that team holds your rights indefinitely.
Does he want to play in the NHL or doesn't he? His only option is here without a trade so for me...it is that simple.

Keep in mind Kaprizov stated he didn't think he was ready for the NHL yet. Considering as such, coupled with the non-interest from the Wild, it's not difficult to understand why he signed with CSKA for a few extra years.

Just because a player doesn't sign at first chance with an NHL club doesn't mean he isn't committed to the NHL. Fortunately, there are guys like Kaprizov who have the wherewithal to view the situation in context of the big picture and, henceforth, put themselves in the best position to succeed when they finally make the jump to the NHL to chase that dream.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Russo? Is he not the journalist who insinuated Kaprizov signed with CSKA and had no contact with Minnesota due to threats from authorities, the mob, Putin, evil dancing bears, etc?

Yet now, after Fletcher actually makes a solid effort to contact Kaprizov, he's right there to report on the meeting?

What a dishonest and sensationalist bigot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo? Is he not the journalist who insinuated Kaprizov signed with CSKA and had no contact with Minnesota due to threats from authorities, the mob, Putin, evil dancing bears, etc?

Yet now, after Fletcher actually makes a solid effort to contact Kaprizov, he's right there to report on the meeting?

What a dishonest and sensationalist bigot.

I'm pretty sure the evil dancing bears was confirmed. The rest, I think it was mostly a 98% joke (can't be 100% because, well, Putin does Putin things).

He reported on the meeting because it's his job to report on the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad