Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Taking this line of thinking to its conclusion, it never makes financial sense for a good KHL player to come to the NHL.

And I don't see how "you're not leaving.....ok, I'm not leaving" is a conspiracy. If anything it seems to be a fairly normal course of business for young stars who try to leave. Russo himself has shared stories of players having their families threatened if they don't "agree".

Unless we're talking about 20+ years ago (during the 'wild west' 1990s and Soviet times), I seriously doubt Russian players are being threatened like that.

I mean if it was true, Russians would be staying far away from the motherland once they made it to North America, like they did during the 1990s and Soviet days. But this isn't the case. These guys, moreso than any other NHL nationality, always jump at the chance to play for their national teams and have the propensity to quickly return home if things aren't going as planned in the NHL.

This reeks of Russo preying on outdated stereotypes in order to justify why Kaprizov isn't in the Cities. Very unprofessional.

Last edited:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Unless we're talking about 20+ years ago (during the 'wild west' 1990s and Soviet times), I seriously doubt Russian players are being threatened like that.

I mean if it was true, Russians would be staying far away from the motherland once they made it to North America, like they did during the 1990s and Soviet days. But this isn't the case. These guys, moreso than any other NHL nationality, always jump at the chance to play for their national teams and have the propensity to quickly return home if things aren't going as planned in the NHL.

This reeks of Russo preying on outdated stereotypes in order to justify why Kaprizov isn't in the Cities. Very unprofessional.

Russia is a really corrupt place at the moment and has been for a long time. Add on many of the teams being run by mobsters and there's reason to be skeptical. It really isn't outdated, people who think Russia is peachy after the ussr are just ignorant of what's going on, which is fine tbh. It's fascinating stuff to read about though.

As an aside I think it's pretty unlikely that kaprizov didn't have a choice. Doesn't mean there wasnt some shady influence though

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wouldn't be surprised if they dangled Olympic participation over him. Wouldn't consider that shady either; pretty savvy on their part.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russia is a really corrupt place at the moment and has been for a long time. Add on many of the teams being run by mobsters and there's reason to be skeptical. It really isn't outdated, people who think Russia is peachy after the ussr are just ignorant of what's going on, which is fine tbh. It's fascinating stuff to read about though.

As an aside I think it's pretty unlikely that kaprizov didn't have a choice. Doesn't mean there wasnt some shady influence though

Sweet Jesus.:facepalm:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Just one question: how often did you visit Russia in the last 10 years? Not saying that everything is fine there, but that "many of the team being run by mobsters" thing sounded like I'm back in 2007 (I wouldn't mind to be back there though, I was a student back then, so it was a lot of fun in those good ol' days :) ) or even earlier.

Wouldn't be surprised if they dangled Olympic participation over him. Wouldn't consider that shady either; pretty savvy on their part.

Here I'll have to explain one thing: there is a KHL team with some influence over the Russia NT, but it's not CSKA, it is SKA. And since CSKA is the main competitor to SKA, it isn't in SKA's interest to have Kaprizov signed with CSKA for that long. So I doubt that by that signing Kaprizov improved his Olympic chances.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I can understand why Kaprizov might want to stay in Russia. He will be making similar money over the next two years regardless of where he plays. He gets to be a star in his home country, where he speaks the language and knows the culture. He gets to play in Moscow which has the same allure of the big city for Russians as New York and London do in the English speaking world. When the contract is done, the NHL will still be there if he wants it.

Does he speak English? If not it gives him a few years to learn before he comes over which would make the non-hockey parts of his life easier if he came over here. We tend to see hockey players as just athletes, but they are also human beings with lives outside of sports. Maybe there are parts of his life that make him more comfortable staying in Russia. It doesn't necessarily have to be forever.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
People need to stop viewing him solely as a commodity or asset. Leaving home for the NHL is an immense life altering venture, and comes with inherent risks.

Of course his ultimate objective is the NHL (as it should be), but christ almighty, he's 20.
You can't blame a person for choosing to 'get all his ducks in a row' before making the big jump. And by that I mean becoming financially secure, developing his game, maturing as a person. From everything I'm reading it appears his father is really pushing this angle.

Just because a player doesn't drop everything he's doing in life to bow down to the almighty NHL at first chance doesn't mean he isn't striving to be the best, or that something 'shady' is occurring.
Kaprizov will hit the NHL running when he eventually makes the jump.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
People need to stop viewing him solely as a commodity or asset. Leaving home for the NHL is an immense life altering venture, and comes with inherent risks.

Of course his ultimate objective is the NHL (as it should be), but christ almighty, he's 20.
You can't blame a person for choosing to 'get all his ducks in a row' before making the big jump. And by that I mean becoming financially secure, developing his game, maturing as a person. From everything I'm reading it appears his father is really pushing this angle.

Just because a player doesn't drop everything he's doing in life to bow down to the almighty NHL at first chance doesn't mean he isn't striving to be the best, or that something 'shady' is occurring.
Kaprizov will hit the NHL running when he eventually makes the jump.

In some ways, his situation has similarities to Casey Mittelstadt's.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Reminds me of Mikko years ago. There were people really unhappy he stayed in Finland the extra years. Thought the military service thing was just an excuse for something...

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Reminds me of Mikko years ago. There were people really unhappy he stayed in Finland the extra years. Thought the military service thing was just an excuse for something...

Granny stayed in Finland for two seasons to finish high school and serve the military. Koivu was there at the same time so I would guess Koivu wasn't actually doing nothing but getting himself ready to NHL playing in TPS.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with him making this decision. If I'm correct, he'll be 23 or 24 when his extension is over. That's still a young player, by any stretch.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Just one question: how often did you visit Russia in the last 10 years? Not saying that everything is fine there, but that "many of the team being run by mobsters" thing sounded like I'm back in 2007 (I wouldn't mind to be back there though, I was a student back then, so it was a lot of fun in those good ol' days :) ) or even earlier.

Here I'll have to explain one thing: there is a KHL team with some influence over the Russia NT, but it's not CSKA, it is SKA. And since CSKA is the main competitor to SKA, it isn't in SKA's interest to have Kaprizov signed with CSKA for that long. So I doubt that by that signing Kaprizov improved his Olympic chances.
Never, I'd like to go though. Jelly of you studying there. How have things changed since 07 and what's your source?

You're assuming things I didn't say or believe. I don't think he was forced to say. The Olympics have nothing to do with it. Well, save the doping scandal which makes it obvious Putin cares about sports and will break laws to win. I have no idea if he or anyone important working the government cares enough about the khl to threaten players Which is why I didn't make that accusation. All I'm saying is there's reason to be skeptical and not assume everything is legit

You don't need to go somewhere to know it has serious issues. An internet connection, some free time, and an ability to discern bs is sufficient. Is Venezuela corrupt? Have you been? If not how do you know?
Sweet Jesus.:facepalm:

You do realize I'm not saying Russians are bad people....right?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
By far was the best CSKA player. Probably the only one, who came to play. It's so hard to understand why is he always so dangerous. He isn't superfast, he doesn't dangle supercute... It's probably because he thinks the game like very few do.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
By far was the best CSKA player. Probably the only one, who came to play. It's so hard to understand why is he always so dangerous. He isn't superfast, he doesn't dangle supercute... It's probably because he thinks the game like very few do.

Yep watching the game all I could think of was how well he drives play. One of the few prospects I've watched over the years where you can see how much smarter he plays the game than his peers.

2 Assists today, good start to his season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Never, I'd like to go though. Jelly of you studying there. How have things changed since 07 and what's your source?

You're assuming things I didn't say or believe. I don't think he was forced to say. The Olympics have nothing to do with it. Well, save the doping scandal which makes it obvious Putin cares about sports and will break laws to win. I have no idea if he or anyone important working the government cares enough about the khl to threaten players Which is why I didn't make that accusation. All I'm saying is there's reason to be skeptical and not assume everything is legit

You don't need to go somewhere to know it has serious issues. An internet connection, some free time, and an ability to discern bs is sufficient. Is Venezuela corrupt? Have you been? If not how do you know?

You do realize I'm not saying Russians are bad people....right?

Please educate yourself and stop thinking solely in terms of totalities. It's not how the world works.
Is Russia corrupt? Totally. Without question. But that doesn't mean everything coming out of Russia should be viewed through the prism of skepticism.
If you knew anything about Russia, Russian hockey and how it works, you'd know that nothing shady is happening.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The more I think about it, the more I'm ok with him making this decision. If I'm correct, he'll be 23 or 24 when his extension is over. That's still a young player, by any stretch.

If he sets the KHL on fire, there's no way he's staying more than 2 years.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, end of his current contract puts him at 23 years old. Tarasenko was 20, Kuznetsov 21. For comparison to Wild players, Granlund and Coyle were 20. Koivu was 22 his first NHL season and 21 in his first North American season. The kid will definitely be as finished a product as the KHL will make him by then, and may still be able to develop a little further in the NHL at that age. We see that happen all the time with college kids.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Please educate yourself and stop thinking solely in terms of totalities. It's not how the world works.

There's no way you could've understood either of my posts then said this

If you knew anything about Russia, Russian hockey and how it works, you'd know that nothing shady is happening.
I'd be happy to read any suggestions you have

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Remember those talks? "Let's see what he'll do without Omark constantly feeding him." Well..look.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov just scored his 1st goal of the season.

And as to whether Minnesota management did it right or wrong with Kaprizov.

Toronto's GM and head coach came to Moscow to meet with CSKA's defenseman Ozhiganov, who isn't even the team's prospect...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kaprizov just scored his 1st goal of the season.

Toronto's GM and head coach came to Moscow to meet with CSKA's defenseman Ozhiganov, who isn't even the team's prospect...

Yeah, read that this morning and had to chuckle.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

That was Datsyuk lobby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad