Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov II: (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
With how I interpret the CBA it's until he turns UFA age, 27.

That's how I interpreted it too, but I'm not a judge or an attorney. I'd love to hear the official ruling on it, but I'm not sure anyone's had cause to actually make that ruling, yet, as I believe no other KHL pro-NHL prospect has hit that age while not under NHL contract under the current CBA.

That sentence was very long. Sorry about that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The only thing his KHL numbers mean, is he is a very promising prospect that will LIKEY succeed when he makes the jump... nothing more, nothing less.

He could still very well bust out when he makes the NHL jump.

So could every prospect we have, why not trade them for guys like Foglino than?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my thoughts are fletch made every effort to contact kaprizov thru proper channels. (why wouldn't he?) the key is the report that kaprizov fired his north american agent , why would he do that? answer he or the khl was tired of him constantly trying to connect wild management with him. russo should interview that agent and get the real facts. also fletch doesnt want to come out publically and bash kaprizov and ruin chances he'll play here in the future. im still curious why kaprizov made the statement 2 weeks ago he had not signed? theres a skunk in the woodpile we're not being told about.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I think it's naive to think that Kaprizov had a choice here. Remember that Putin himself helped to start the KHL and several of their owners have alleged links to Russian organized crime. They are not in the business of letting young stars think for themselves.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think it's naive to think that Kaprizov had a choice here. Remember that Putin himself helped to start the KHL and several of their owners have alleged links to Russian organized crime. They are not in the business of letting young stars think for themselves.

I don't think everything needs to be a big conspiracy theory. It financially made sense for Kaprizov to sign another contract in Russia.

He may choose to buy out the contract and play in NA once he's added some cushion to his bank account.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
whether its a big conspiracy or just kaprizov would rather make millions now instead of a low $$ elc here, hopefully we'll get more facts! his NA agent could shed light on this situation.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
whether its a big conspiracy or just kaprizov would rather make millions now instead of a low $$ elc here, hopefully we'll get more facts! his NA agent could shed light on this situation.

0.00% chance that his former NA agent goes on record about anything about Kaprizov. Zero benefit in it, and it would be a bad look for him.

Player's expect confidentiality, and an agent that opens his mouth won't get to many more clients. (Obvious exception is when it's meant to make the team look bad, and the player/agent are in cahoots about the leaks).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if he really fired his NA agent why would matter if he said i was contacted numerous times by the wild and kaprizov was not interested in responding or connecting with wild management?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I don't think everything needs to be a big conspiracy theory. It financially made sense for Kaprizov to sign another contract in Russia.

He may choose to buy out the contract and play in NA once he's added some cushion to his bank account.

He could also Malkin his way out by giving them the slip in Finland. Not the first and won't be the last guy to leave Russia on such terms.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Taking this line of thinking to its conclusion, it never makes financial sense for a good KHL player to come to the NHL.

And I don't see how "you're not leaving.....ok, I'm not leaving" is a conspiracy. If anything it seems to be a fairly normal course of business for young stars who try to leave. Russo himself has shared stories of players having their families threatened if they don't "agree".

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Taking this line of thinking to its conclusion, it never makes financial sense for a good KHL player to come to the NHL.

And I don't see how "you're not leaving.....ok, I'm not leaving" is a conspiracy. If anything it seems to be a fairly normal course of business for young stars who try to leave. Russo himself has shared stories of players having their families threatened if they don't "agree".

Sure it does, because their is basically a ceiling on KHL contracts that NHL contracts post ELC for KHLers generally surpass. As of this article , there were only 4 players in the KHL that made more than 2.5 million dollars in the KHL. And one of them was Sobotka who came back. Granted the taxes are better, so 2.5 million is more like 4 million in the NHL, but that theoretical cap still exists. And as is pretty clear, to make REALLY good money in the KHL, you probably need success in the NHL.

Most of the rest of the good players in the league are only making 1-2 million, and lot of them are making not much at all(compared to NHL salaries).

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Sure it does, because their is basically a ceiling on KHL contracts that NHL contracts post ELC for KHLers generally surpass. As of this article , there were only 4 players in the KHL that made more than 2.5 million dollars in the KHL. And one of them was Sobotka who came back. Granted the taxes are better, so 2.5 million is more like 4 million in the NHL, but that theoretical cap still exists. And as is pretty clear, to make REALLY good money in the KHL, you probably need success in the NHL.

Most of the rest of the good players in the league are only making 1-2 million, and lot of them are making not much at all(compared to NHL salaries).

Well I did say "good KHL player" implying that not all of them would or should lock in. But I am saying that if you narrow it down to the cream of the KHL (like we hope this guy is) seeing him in the NHL gets harder, not easier.

IMHO

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Well I did say "good KHL player" implying that not all of them would or should lock in. But I am saying that if you narrow it down to the cream of the KHL (like we hope this guy is) seeing him in the NHL gets harder, not easier.

IMHO

Good KHLers,get paid 1 to 2 million in the KHL, that's the point. Foligino is going to get 2.5 million to play on the 4th line. Shipachyov and Dadonov were the cream of the crop KHL types and were making 2 million and 1.4 million respectively. That 2 million was the 7th highest paid player in the league.

He can make money sooner in the KHL by being elite and not risking the possibility of going to the minors (Fletcher's word is the only guarantee he has that he wouldn't spend time there). But there isn't much room to grow salary wise. He's probably not dumb, he's seen what kind of money Kuznetsov and Tarasenko pulled from the NHL at young age. Sticking aroudn the khl for an extra two seasons (than he was under contract for) and coming in at 22 isn't going to prevent him from making rediculious money if he earns it at 24 when his ELC is up. And his ELC would be up at 24 regardless if he signed

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Good KHLers,get paid 1 to 2 million in the KHL, that's the point. Foligino is going to get 2.5 million to play on the 4th line. Shipachyov and Dadonov were the cream of the crop KHL types and were making 2 million and 1.4 million respectively. That 2 million was the 7th highest paid player in the league.

He can make money sooner in the KHL by being elite and not risking the possibility of going to the minors (Fletcher's word is the only guarantee he has that he wouldn't spend time there). But there isn't much room to grow salary wise. He's probably not dumb, he's seen what kind of money Kuznetsov and Tarasenko pulled from the NHL at young age. Sticking aroudn the khl for an extra two seasons (than he was under contract for) and coming in at 22 isn't going to prevent him from making rediculious money if he earns it at 24 when his ELC is up. And his ELC would be up at 24 regardless if he signed

Those contracts are also on a much shorter game schedule compared to the NHL but you are right about the high end contracts.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Russo sounded clearly convinced that there was a lot of external influence that went into him re-signing on the latest podcast. So I don't think Kaprizov is just spurning the Wild.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Russo sounded clearly convinced that there was a lot of external influence that went into him re-signing on the latest podcast. So I don't think Kaprizov is just spurning the Wild.

It depends on how to define "influence". I mean, obviously CSKA were very active by persuading Kaprizov and his father, likely made a very good offer there, also you could notice an additional pressure with all those media comments. So in that way there definitely was influence, but Russo made it sound like some Soviet-style stuff, which to me sounded like a weird and even a bit offending stereotype.

Btw, in that podcast Russo also sounded very convinced that Sokolov was "punished" by Hockey Russia for going to the CHL, but that is pretty much absurd for anyone who follows Russian national junior team.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It depends on how to define "influence". I mean, obviously CSKA were very active by persuading Kaprizov and his father, likely made a very good offer there, also you could notice an additional pressure with all those media comments. So in that way there definitely was influence, but Russo made it sound like some Soviet-style stuff, which to me sounded like a weird and even a bit offending stereotype.

Btw, in that podcast Russo also sounded very convinced that Sokolov was "punished" by Hockey Russia for going to the CHL, but that is pretty much absurd for anyone who follows Russian national junior team.

Yeah, it's all just his own speculation for sure. He definitely wouldn't write any of that down because there's clearly no proof of anything, which is why he saves comments like that for the podcast.

I forgot about the Sokolov comment as well. I can't pretend to know anything about the Russian national junior team, so I don't know the context at all here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad