Kipper or Iggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Iginla was a superb playmaker. Dude could be setting up the play like no one's business.

fry_squint.jpg

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I do remember him getting a bunch of primary assists when Cammy came over from LA from that one season.

BlowPhish

Sep 8, 2006
I dunno bout you, but if average is his worst. That seems fairly reliable.

Prime Iggy with 2 legit top liners, he'd be hovering that 55-60 goal range.

Iginla was the better player true. We arent talking about careers tho. Only Prime and who will help the team the most right now. Its close but Kipper would make more of an impact we already have the firepower. Especially this year coming up. I still remeber the difference Kipper made when we aquired him it turned everything around.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Iginla was the better player true. We arent talking about careers tho. Only Prime and who will help the team the most right now. Its close but Kipper would make more of an impact we already have the firepower. Especially this year coming up. I still remeber the difference Kipper made when we aquired him it turned everything around.

Iggy's prime was longer than Kipper's career. He would be the bigger difference maker.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Not really a fair comparison, though. You're basically saying Kipper would make the difference because of the difference he made when he joined the team. We can't see that same impact with Iginla because he came up through the ranks and developed with the Flames.

Imagine that we also acquired Jarome Iginla in '04, rather than having him develop slowly with our team into what he was. The fact that that wasn't how it happened shouldn't be held against Iginla.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I absolutely loved both players when they were with Calgary, but if I could have only one of them (at their prime) added to the current Flames lineup, it would be Kipper.

Top rated Goalie, top 2 Defense-men, & first line Centers are the toughest positions to fill via trade.
High scoring wingers are definitely easier to obtain.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I absolutely loved both players when they were with Calgary, but if I could have only one of them (at their prime) added to the current Flames lineup, it would be Kipper.

Top rated Goalie, top 2 Defense-men, & first line Centers are the toughest positions to fill via trade.
High scoring wingers are definitely easier to obtain.

I feel like goalies, even elite ones, are definitely obtainable. Look around the league at some of the top goalies last year who were acquired rather easily: Bishop, Halak, Dubnyk, Rask, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Schneider, Anderson, Varlamov... goalies, even good ones, rarely garner a fair return in the trade market, because teams know that it's only a matter of time before they stumble upon an elite late-bloomer by accident.

Heck, in terms of "difficulty to acquire," we gave up Nieuwendyk to get Iggy, but only a second-rounder to get Kiprusoff.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I feel like calling Iginla a "high scoring winger" is underselling him. The dude was a franchise winger. This isn't James Neal we're talking about. He was Corey Perry or Jamie Benn, but better.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Question. Would you take Iggy+Regehr, or Conroy+Kipper? All in their primes.

Elite RW, and a very good #2/3 physical shutdown dman, or a #1 center with a strong defensive game, and a legitimate #1 goalie? For sake of the argument, both pairs would wind up costing the same once locked up longterm.

The Flames really need a strong #2, and taking Conroy would allow Bennett to go to the wing. It would also give them a #1 goalie.

Taking Iggy gives them that #1 RW, as well as another strong shutdown dman/leader. Going forward with Brodie/Hamilton/Regehr would be delicious.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Question. Would you take Iggy+Regehr, or Conroy+Kipper? All in their primes.

Elite RW, and a very good #2/3 physical shutdown dman, or a #1 center with a strong defensive game, and a legitimate #1 goalie? For sake of the argument, both pairs would wind up costing the same once locked up longterm.

The Flames really need a strong #2, and taking Conroy would allow Bennett to go to the wing. It would also give them a #1 goalie.

Taking Iggy gives them that #1 RW, as well as another strong shutdown dman/leader. Going forward with Brodie/Hamilton/Regehr would be delicious.

I'd take Iggy and Reggie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad