Kipper or Iggy

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So I had a random thought last night, and it's the offseason, perfect time to discuss random thoughts :P.

On this current team, do you take Prime Iginla or Prime Kipprusoff? Where would you put the team with the addition?

Me with Ramo and Hiller, I dump them take Kipper with Ortio as backup. We have a defense that doesn't leave the goalie hung out to dry. I think we have a good forward group who can score by committee. With the new additions and the players in the prime. I certainly think if we had kipper in his prime you could make the case for Cup contenders, but we are still a young team, WCF is probably the most realistic peak for the team... This season at least.

What do you guys think?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kipper would get lit up like cheech and chong behind our current system. He was very average without a defense first system in front of him.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I don't know, I think even under the defensive systems of the past he was still largely hung out to dry. I think he'd excell backstopping what ever shots don't get blocked and if possession improves I can almost see him being completely dominant.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know, I think even under the defensive systems of the past he was still largely hung out to dry. I think he'd excell backstopping what ever shots don't get blocked and if possession improves I can almost see him being completely dominant.
Hiller and Ramo were hung out to dry a ton too. Kipper might be a moderate improvement over them, but that's about it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It wouldn't take much to improve upon Hiller/Ramo......

For me it's prime Kipper. As much as I love Iggy, I can't for the life of me figure out how he'd slot into our top 6 in a way that would benefit us. I believe he'd fare very well on our third line, but he's not the type of player you'd want there

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Not as much as Kipper I think.... Though perhaps I'm biased because I didn't really like the team back then compared to the team now.

I think he's a big enough step up for us to get past Anahiem.... so long as we don't play like we did for the 1st 80minutes of the series haha

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Iginla. You can win with average goaltending as long as the team is good enough, and top 5 NHL player Iginla would make the team pretty good.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
This is really tough. Do you take a 50g, elite power forward or a really good goalte- Nevermind, I take Iggy. A line of Gaudreau - Monahan - Prime Iggy would be amazing to watch.

Monahan For Mayor*

Prime Iggy easily. Put him beside Monahan or Bennet. Our top 6 is looking top notch. Pray we don't see Anaheim in the playoffs and we Are off to the final.

Aug 3, 2010
As great as Kiprusoff was, he doesn't elevate the point totals of the first line (think 20+ points) and score on the powerplay.

Gaudreau and Monahan would both have 75+pt campaigns and Iginla would see 90+pts and 40 goals, even in this current low-scoring era.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
As great as Kiprusoff was, he doesn't elevate the point totals of the first line (think 20+ points) and score on the powerplay.

Gaudreau and Monahan would both have 75+pt campaigns and Iginla would see 90+pts and 40 goals, even in this current low-scoring era.

We never did try him as a number 1 Center.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Prime Iginla was considered the best player in the league, and the difference between Kipper and an average goalie is much bigger than the gap between Iginla and our next best RW (no offense to Hudler, but Iginla was amazing). The goaltending we would need to succeed with Iginla is also much easier to acquire than the level of offense we'd need to acquire if we had Kipper.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Couldn't we have both? :D Very tough question.
I think that if we had Kipper right now, we could easily upgrade the bottom 6 and make a Championship run.
Anyone that thinks prime Kipper was average has no clue. In his prime he was the best goalie on the planet. This "defensive system" during the 2004 cup run left Kipper out to dry many times, and it was solely because of him they made it past the second round.

Deleted member 250185

On one hand, 1st line RW is a glaring need, but Kipper is the guy who takes you deep in the playoffs. I would think he would play less games a year under Hartley than any of the other coaches when he was here.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It wouldn't take much to improve upon Hiller/Ramo......

For me it's prime Kipper. As much as I love Iggy, I can't for the life of me figure out how he'd slot into our top 6 in a way that would benefit us. I believe he'd fare very well on our third line, but he's not the type of player you'd want there

You serious? I think your confusing prime Iggy with regular Iggy.

Prime Iggy was arguably the best player in the NHL. Take him everyday and twice on sundays

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Prime Iginla was the best player in the world, he was ferocious, had a cannon and was all over the ice. You can't really argue against taking him. Imagine an Iginla circa-2002 on this team, we likely would have went further in the playoffs. He energized an entire team with his intensity and oppenants would become timid when he was on the ice.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ha! Prime Iginla on the third line. That's where 40 goal scorers go!

This is the guy who scored 50 with McAmmond and Conroy on his line, in the heart of the dead puck era. He's probably scoring a bit more than that with Gaudreau & Monahan.

I'd take prime Iggy, more because he'd fit an organizational need better.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So a Rocket Richard winning, 50 goal Power Forward.

or

A Vezina winning goaltender capable of taking a team deep into the playoffs.

Hm.....

Its really a tough choice.

So I will take,

Sergei Makarov.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So a Rocket Richard winning, 50 goal Power Forward.

or

A Vezina winning goaltender capable of taking a team deep into the playoffs.

Hm.....

Its really a tough choice.

So I will take,

Sergei Makarov.
What? Not Sergei Pryakhin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad