Kipper or Iggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Going with Iginla here. Prime Iggy playing with Gaudreau and Monahan is 60-70 goals. He is still putting up 30 goal seasons for god sake. On an Av's team with MacKinnon, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog he outscored them all and he was 37. Let that sink in.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Going with Iginla here. Prime Iggy playing with Gaudreau and Monahan is 60-70 goals. He is still putting up 30 goal seasons for god sake. On an Av's team with MacKinnon, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog he outscored them all and he was 37. Let that sink in.

No way Iggy scores more than 60 goals in todays NHL. OV had an amazing season and he only scored 53 goals. And he is the better pure goal-scorer than Iggy ever was (and I love Iggy).

And I would choose Iggy over Kipper in any situation. Hiller and Ramo carried this team to the playoffs and with a better forward core (i.e. prime Iggy) and a healthy Giordano, this team could have provided a real challenge to the Blackhawks.

Aug 21, 2014
Kipper was the model of inconsistency. He had the ability to be absolutely godly for stretches, yet he would have periods where he was pretty bad (for his standards, bad was basically average). The big issue I had with him is that he never put up a good season while the team was doing well offensively; whether that's due to bad luck or whether he was actually unable to perform well in a system that wasn't completely defensively-oriented, I don't think I'm qualified to say, but I do know he was single-handedly responsible for the Flames' playoff failures for multiple seasons after 03-04 where he was one of the two primary forces that got them to the finals.

His faults were easy to overlook because his agility and his ability to make inhuman saves were unparalleled, but he was a very imperfect goaltender. He did let in some soft goals, and he wasn't as reliable as people seem to believe he was.

I dunno bout you, but if average is his worst. That seems fairly reliable.

No way Iggy scores more than 60 goals in todays NHL. OV had an amazing season and he only scored 53 goals. And he is the better pure goal-scorer than Iggy ever was (and I love Iggy).

And I would choose Iggy over Kipper in any situation. Hiller and Ramo carried this team to the playoffs and with a better forward core (i.e. prime Iggy) and a healthy Giordano, this team could have provided a real challenge to the Blackhawks.

Prime Iggy with 2 legit top liners, he'd be hovering that 55-60 goal range.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's possible he could get 60, I mean he played in the clutch and grab era, it was just as tight as it is right now. Plus he never played with anyone like Monahan as his center and Gaudreau is as good of a playmaker as Tanguay is/was. You would think it's feasible that he could have got into that 55-60 range.

Last edited:

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Prime Iggy with 2 legit top liners, he'd be hovering that 55-60 goal range.

It's possible he could get 60, I mean he played in the clutch and grab era, it was just as tight as it is right now. Plus he never played with anyone like Monahan as his center and Gaudreau is as good of a playmaker as Tanguay is/was. You would think it's feasible that he could have got into that 55-60 range.

Hence I wrote "more than 60 goals";)

He probably would compete with Stamkos and OV for the number 2 spot in the Rocket Richard Race (#1 of course is McDavid) At least according to Oilers fans

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know how you can realistically do better than prime Iginla. He was one of the best players, if not the best player, in the entire NHL, and he was an incredible leader who would go to any lengths to help the team and stick up for his teammates.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know how you can realistically do better than prime Iginla. He was one of the best players, if not the best player, in the entire NHL, and he was an incredible leader who would go to any lengths to help the team and stick up for his teammates.
Exactly this

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Prime Iggy. Having him also allows movement of Bollig and Engelland as tough guys which further open up the line up for kids to take on roles. Maybe even Jones gets moved. Idk. But that's not even talking about how amazing Iggy was.

The way I see it, prime Iggy might have pushed us up a few games against Anaheim last playoffs. Prime Kipper? Doubt it makes a tangible difference. I love Kipper, but easily Iggy for me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prime Iggy. Having him also allows movement of Bollig and Engelland as tough guys which further open up the line up for kids to take on roles. Maybe even Jones gets moved. Idk. But that's not even talking about how amazing Iggy was.

The way I see it, prime Iggy might have pushed us up a few games against Anaheim last playoffs. Prime Kipper? Doubt it makes a tangible difference. I love Kipper, but easily Iggy for me.
No, prime Iggy doesn't allow for that because you don't want him fighting everyone's battles.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Prime Iginla knew when to time his fights. Even if he didn't fight at all in today's game, we're still adding a 50-goal scorer to our roster, and a guy who can put the entire team on his back and produce offence while making his teammates better. Instantly, we become Cup contenders with Iggy.

That's not to disparage Kiprusoff, but the difference between going from our current goaltending even to Carey Price I wouldn't put on the same level as adding a 50-goal scorer with amazing leadership.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No, prime Iggy doesn't allow for that because you don't want him fighting everyone's battles.

Hmm... True. One would hope Ferland takes on Bollig's role and Hamilton take on Eggs role though. Plus, most of our fights are full team scrums... He'd fight, but not everyone.

*shrug* wishful thinking. But that's part of the exercise, no?

AustinL*

Prime Iginla was easily one of the best players in the NHL. Most would say he was the best player in the NHL during his prime. As much as I loved Kipper, I would take Iggy 10/10 times. One of the best leaders in the game and was considered by many as the best captain in the game when he was still with the Flames. Him on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan would be deadly. Teams would be afraid to even attempt a hit on Gaudreau because they would know that Iggy would be right there ready to drop the gloves and protect his teammate. That combination would easily be the best in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hmm... True. One would hope Ferland takes on Bollig's role and Hamilton take on Eggs role though. Plus, most of our fights are full team scrums... He'd fight, but not everyone.

*shrug* wishful thinking. But that's part of the exercise, no?
Ferland hasn't shown that abiility in the AHL yet, hoping for it at the NHL level seems like wishful thinking to me

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ferland hasn't shown that abiility in the AHL yet, hoping for it at the NHL level seems like wishful thinking to me

Lol, I didn't mean actually. I meant it in the theoretical world where time traveler Iginliamus Prime showed up on the door step to play the 2015-2016 season for a Stanley Cup. :laugh:

BlowPhish

Sep 8, 2006
Prime Iginla was easily one of the best players in the NHL. Most would say he was the best player in the NHL during his prime. As much as I loved Kipper, I would take Iggy 10/10 times. One of the best leaders in the game and was considered by many as the best captain in the game when he was still with the Flames. Him on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan would be deadly. Teams would be afraid to even attempt a hit on Gaudreau because they would know that Iggy would be right there ready to drop the gloves and protect his teammate. That combination would easily be the best in the NHL.

I'll take Kipper bro. He set some ridiculous standards for the league. Shortened season but damn he was impenetrable. Playoffs too he was the guy that we could use most. Our d core puts up enough points to have our team in the top half of the league this year. I think with a new age Kipper on outlr team we will win a cup in the next few years.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Everyone's who is picking Kipper knows what they'll get.

How are people not jumping at the chance to see what a prime Iginla could do with a real centerman and a winger even more talented than him!? At the very least you know you're getting a 40-50 goal scorer. What's beyond that though!?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Iginla would just be too good to pass up.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'll take Kipper bro. He set some ridiculous standards for the league. Shortened season but damn he was impenetrable. Playoffs too he was the guy that we could use most. Our d core puts up enough points to have our team in the top half of the league this year. I think with a new age Kipper on outlr team we will win a cup in the next few years.

Are we getting prime Kipper of 04/05 who was amazing, prime Kipper of 05/06 who was good, prime Kipper of 06/07 who was mediocre, or prime Kipper of 07/08 who was bad?

The guy had like 2 elite seasons and another couple of really good seasons. He was great when he was having a good year, but my god was he ever inconsistent year-to-year. If we were talking Rask or Lundqvist I could see an argument, but not Kiprusoff.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
id take iginla and throw him on a different line than gaudreau and monahan. kinda how the hawks run kane on the second line.

gaudreau - monahan - hudler

bennett - backlund - iginla

next year unless bennett takes the 3c spot

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
id take iginla and throw him on a different line than gaudreau and monahan. kinda how the hawks run kane on the second line.

gaudreau - monahan - hudler

bennett - backlund - iginla

next year unless bennett takes the 3c spot

I wouldn't, give the man some damn talent to play with for once! :laugh:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
3 shooters on a line? Also, having Hudler and Gaudreau separated would make the lines taller..

Bennett - monahan - hudler

Gaudreau - backlund - iginla

I just personally was trying to separate iginla and monahan as shooters. But when I think about the success iggy had with cammy i might try it out.

Gaudreau - monahan - iggy

Could work like tanguay - cammy - iggy just better

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why would we split up Monahan and Gaudreau? They were golden together.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Iginla
Hudler - Bennett - Frolik
Colborne - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Stajan - Shore/Jooris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad