Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
The problem for the Springer takeover was not so much the family as it was the person that they listened to. Mav was past prime as a coach but could not and would not stop trying to be the coach or putting in place people he could tell what to do. The perfect example is he tried to have Bignell as coach then thought because Hulton was his successor in Belleville that he would coach his way. That did not work out so he fired Hulton and hired Cassidy who was just let go by the NHL. The problem with that was that Cassidy demanded self responsibility and discipline something Mav never did. Mav was from the era when you let the boys go out and party. Cassidy knew that was not the way. Mav listened to the players and instead of backing Cassidy when he benched Hughes he told him to play hughes thereby running his ability to coach.

My proof is the comment by that GREAT INTERNATIONAL DEFENCEMAN Justin Walingford. Who made the comment we got rid of him for you bobby.

Then Mav told Springer to put his faith in Dougie Gilmour. How did that work out?

I should also know that Mav was the idiot that kept trading first-round draft picks that he did develop and picks for a player to get them into the playoffs whether they were any good or not.

Since then they have had some good coaches and some coaches that they gave a chance to that did not work out.

Kory Cooper has only been at it a couple of years but I think he has the hang of it now. I think that given the reins he should be able to create a good team especially is Mann sticks around for a couple of years.

Will the fan base come back? It is possible that they may get better but the on-ice performance as well as the off-ice has to drastically improve on a regular basis.

There is a ton of stuff that can be done and the best way to do it is use the Booster club if it still exists. Under Earl and Howard the marketing for the main part was just putting an add in the Ottawa Sun beside the ad for the Pink Panther in Aylmer and a club on Bank Street downtown ( I forget the name). yess earl used to scream every time he was reminded that they also advertised in the sports section LOL

It was the Booster Club that created the stir by going out to locations in malls, Going on the dialathons, and getting sponsorship from restaurants and businesses. Dick Creamer never missed a chance to talk 67's with the media and make a name for the players and the team.

Even the mascot was controlled by the booster club. Riley was wherever a parade or a group of kids were. Yes, both these brought fans to the game.
Booster club is in existence - thought not sure where or what they do beyond being at the rink or occasional road games. BArrack (mascot) is all over Kingston each week. Kids love seeing Barrack, thats why I think they need to do more with minor hockey/sports programs --
I doubt Springer sells in the next 5-10 years
As this is a tax write off for him. He bought the building GoodLife has been in and is going to turn it into a huge apartment. If he’s still buying stuff that tells me he still has a bit of time left before he retires.

Unless he gives the family fortune to one of his kids.
So potentially 10 more years of mediocrity.

I do suspect we go all in either this year or next year.

Who knows with ludwinski coming back and making a buyer move like Schmidt and with it being a weak east this year, and the m cup in the O he may try and assemble the avengers here for a shot at the finals/a title.

Personally as bad as the team has looked so far I believe they have a better chance this year rather than next. Next year the east is going to be extremely stacked with Kingston, Mississauga, barrie, Oshawa, ottawa all gunning for first place in the east and the best team in the league.

This is in all likelyhood the wests year but next year is definitely the easts year. Only team we will have to compete with in the west should be the usual ones London and Kitchener
I would think that the Schmidt thing isn't an indicator on buy or sell -- it could be just to keep them competitive until they firgure it out. They are without Holmes and Chromiak until the New Year -- so having a big dman to keep things calm back there isn't a bad thing. Without Budnick now as well it means Williamson will be playing every game.....so pairing him with Schmidt will probably protect him a bit.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I doubt Springer sells in the next 5-10 years
As this is a tax write off for him. He bought the building GoodLife has been in and is going to turn it into a huge apartment. If he’s still buying stuff that tells me he still has a bit of time left before he retires.

Unless he gives the family fortune to one of his kids.
So potentially 10 more years of mediocrity.

I do suspect we go all in either this year or next year.

Who knows with ludwinski coming back and making a buyer move like Schmidt and with it being a weak east this year, and the m cup in the O he may try and assemble the avengers here for a shot at the finals/a title.

Personally as bad as the team has looked so far I believe they have a better chance this year rather than next. Next year the east is going to be extremely stacked with Kingston, Mississauga, barrie, Oshawa, ottawa all gunning for first place in the east and the best team in the league.

This is in all likelyhood the wests year but next year is definitely the easts year. Only team we will have to compete with in the west should be the usual ones London and Kitchener

I think the eastern conference will be strong for the next two seasons as well.

But Saginaw might have a two year run.
And Erie should be very good next season, though they will probably need to acquire a handful of picks at this deadline in order to add the player they need at the next dead line.

Reactions: frontsfan67

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Booster club is in existence - thought not sure where or what they do beyond being at the rink or occasional road games. BArrack (mascot) is all over Kingston each week. Kids love seeing Barrack, thats why I think they need to do more with minor hockey/sports programs --

I would think that the Schmidt thing isn't an indicator on buy or sell -- it could be just to keep them competitive until they firgure it out. They are without Holmes and Chromiak until the New Year -- so having a big dman to keep things calm back there isn't a bad thing. Without Budnick now as well it means Williamson will be playing every game.....so pairing him with Schmidt will probably protect him a bit.
2nd and 3rd round pick is expensive security if they are not contending this year.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think the eastern conference will be strong for the next two seasons as well.

But Saginaw might have a two year run.
And Erie should be very good next season, though they will probably need to acquire a handful of picks at this deadline in order to add the player they need at the next dead line.
Saginaw is actually positioned to be better next year than this depending on who they decide to add this year. Erie is going no where with their draft cupboard, they are always going to be a one line team until something changes significantly in their development model. They are caught in a cycle of spending 2nd/3rds on players to plug the lineup each year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Saginaw is actually positioned to be better next year than this depending on who they decide to add this year. Erie is going no where with their draft cupboard, they are always going to be a one line team until something changes significantly in their development model. They are caught in a cycle of spending 2nd/3rds on players to plug the lineup each year.

Erie can have a full draft cupboard 2025-28 with a trade of one of their potential OAs.
One line team with Terrance and Fimis up the middle; I really don’t think so.
Fimis, Sova, Terrance, Spence, Schaefer could be best collection of 1st picks in the league next season.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Erie can have a full draft cupboard 2025-28 with a trade of one of their potential OAs.
One line team with Terrance and Fimis up the middle; I really don’t think so.
Fimis, Sova, Terrance, Spence, Schaefer could be best collection of 1st picks in the league next season.
The team would need to trade both Sova and Fimis to fill the draft cupboard and put them in a position to be buyers. They can't have it both ways, they either trade the players and be in position to build around Spence and Schaefer or keep them and have a nice collection of 1st rounders and no assets to trade with.

We had this discussion on the Erie board. Tough spot to be in, they can do more of the same or do something different.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Don't disagree -- but I think the pressure to move Budnick and the loss of Holmes and Chromiak I doubt they want to keep things steady until they know which way or the other.
This is an issue Kingston has had for a few years, if they are questioning whether they are good enough or not, the answer is likely they are not. They are in 8th place in what may be the weakest eastern conference we have seen in years. Spending assets on an OA like this is a throw away and only prohibits them in the future.

Reactions: Truthking

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
This is an issue Kingston has had for a few years, if they are questioning whether they are good enough or not, the answer is likely they are not. They are in 8th place in what may be the weakest eastern conference we have seen in years. Spending assets on an OA like this is a throw away and only prohibits them in the future.
I agree - I think they are not quite there. Maybe they are waiting to see what Oshawa, Barrie etc decide to do as well. Maybe the Schmidt deal was a bit of Quid Pro Quo with the Rangers for potentially something coming in the near future.....

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The team would need to trade both Sova and Fimis to fill the draft cupboard and put them in a position to be buyers. They can't have it both ways, they either trade the players and be in position to build around Spence and Schaefer or keep them and have a nice collection of 1st rounders and no assets to trade with.

We had this discussion on the Erie board. Tough spot to be in, they can do more of the same or do something different.

From 2025-27, Erie is missing 2, 3, 4, 6, 6 picks. A trade of either potential excess OA Alfano or Sova would have Erie at a full compliment of picks 2025-28. They can also choose to trade Mysak who will not be returning next season.

The Otters can return 10-11 F, 5-6 D, and a G from the current roster. The team is in good shape for a run next season.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
From 2025-27, Erie is missing 2, 3, 4, 6, 6 picks. A trade of either potential excess OA Alfano or Sova would have Erie at a full compliment of picks 2025-28. They can also choose to trade Mysak who will not be returning next season.

The Otters can return 10-11 F, 5-6 D, and a G from the current roster. The team is in good shape for a run next season.
The database shows them missing 2-2nds, 2-3rds and 4th which they are not getting for Alfano, and Sova it is likely a reach but for discussion purposes sure. So they have a stock draft pick cupboard to be buyers with next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The database shows them missing 2-2nds, 2-3rds and 4th which they are not getting for Alfano, and Sova it is likely a reach but for discussion purposes sure. So they have a stock draft pick cupboard to be buyers with next year.

Next season Erie can use picks (2025-28) to add to their roster. They are currently missing 2, 3, 4, 6, 6. One of Alfano or Sova and Mysak traded at the deadline would give the team a pick surplus.
FWIW, I believe Erie has Sarnia ‘24-2nd.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

The booster club despite always working to give back to the players have never gotten paid from the fronts or as a paid promotion or anything it is completely volunteer work. So they’re not going to waste their time for not a single cent when they all work and have jobs. Not sure if other places get paid that would be interesting.

I hope you’re right about the Schmidt move as I think it would be incredibly foolish to go for it this year just to win a round or two

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Next season Erie can use picks (2025-28) to add to their roster. They are currently missing 2, 3, 4, 6, 6. One of Alfano or Sova and Mysak traded at the deadline would give the team a pick surplus.
FWIW, I believe Erie has Sarnia ‘24-2nd.
SAR 2nd 2024 was conditionally sent to OTT in Moldenhauer trade, and returned to SAR at the beginning of this year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
SAR 2nd 2024 was conditionally sent to OTT in Moldenhauer trade, and returned to SAR at the beginning of this year.

We don’t know all of the conditions of that complicated pick exchange. If I recall correctly, Sarnia moved at least one of those conditional picks prior to last years deadline. Often enough there are also conditions in trades that picks traded can move in years iif obtained.

I could be wrong about that pick. Perhaps ask NOA. (NOA?) has followed Erie’s picks for years. Or, ask OHL4life as he apparently has access to the league database.
Though the OHL has also posted inaccurate pick exchanges. ie. Petes-wolves

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_7175.png

Lines for tonight’s game.

I like the forward lines but I’m confused as to why ludwinski is not playing? Like I’ve mentioned before if he isn’t playing here perhaps they’re trying to trade him and they don’t want to risk injury. Would be smart to save him from playing this weekend if you’re unsure about the direction of the team. See how they play without him.

On d I love that burns finally has a good d partner. They should play well together. And with Schmidt being so good defensively perhaps we see Burns turn more offensive. McGowan and uens I like that line too. You have a defensive d man who can hit in McGowan and an offensive minded d man in uens. Then third line for d is the youth movement. We haven’t seen velliaris in a while but keep in mind his brother is on the Pete’s.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Very interesting calls tonight to put it nicely… miedema gets a 5 minute penalty for “goalie interference” when Bowen is very far out from his net. Bowen flies back like he got shot and stayed on the ground really selling the call. Then other Pete’s goalie in fit remaining 2 mins of second period- then Bowen was miraculously okay to start the 3rd period with kingston still on the penalty kill.

Reminds me of the ridiculous call when miedema was playing one of his first games in kingston after getting traded here a 5 min penalty for high sticking that was either waved off or downgraded to a 2 min minor.

I think it’s quite clear watching miedema he doesn’t have a damn bad bone in his body lmao guys softer then baby shit

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Classy move by Sam Mayer in Peterborough boarding burns with 8 seconds left injuring burns. Looked at it for a while and officials only called it a 2 but I’m sure the ohl won’t be happy about a pointless dirty play injuring a star player at the end of a game. Will be shocked if he isn’t suspended for that.

Fronts win 3-2

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Nice bounce back win for the Fronts after the shellacking you took in Sudbury. But thanks for win tonight helps us out in a couple of ways.

WJ

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Burns was not in good shape after that head off the glass. I was right in front of the play in a suite and his legs were like rubber. I would say likely a bad concussion and missing some time now.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Burns was not in good shape after that head off the glass. I was right in front of the play in a suite and his legs were like rubber. I would say likely a bad concussion and missing some time now.
Lovely. I wasn’t watching the game so I didn’t see that. Just the hit because someone sent it to me. Was listening to the game not watching. That’s just lovely that’s our best d man out probably for some time after we already have 2 of our top 4 out. I wonder if they make another move in desperation to acquire another top 4 d man if burns is to miss time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad