Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

I wasn't able to watch the game but I was reading about the complaints with the goal not being overturned and didn't really understand them - I knew you couldn't review too many men so I was surprised at all the outrage but I didn't realize that that was the sole reason they had the review in the first place...

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

This is an interesting move - I don't really know where they're gonna go from here. Are they banking on taking these picks out of the Ludwinski return or do they see how up in the air the East is and are deciding to make a run?

Reactions: frontsfan67

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

This is an interesting move - I don't really know where they're gonna go from here. Are they banking on taking these picks out of the Ludwinski return or do they see how up in the air the East is and are deciding to make a run?
My guess is that Holmes surgery may take a bit for him to recover on and they don't have confidence in Williamson or Bergeron to plug the hole.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
schmidt will be fine, not a huge upgrade from budnick in my mind and budnick is a year younger. Schmidt is a big man, but not offensively gifted. When I say man, I mean a man. This guy is huge
He played frustrating hockey last year. This year has been much better, and he does use his size a lot more. It is true, he is a man. He has two children, Tanner Lam and Cameron Reid. They will miss him.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
The Budnick trade now makes the Schmidt trade make a LOT more sense. I really like that value too.

Interesting comment from Cooper on the Fronts Website - hopefully everything is all good.

“We appreciate his contributions to our organization both on and off the ice. For personal reasons Tommy was seeking a new opportunity and we are glad we were able to provide him with that. Playing with Guelph, he will have the chance to regularly play games closer to home. We wish him luck throughout his career.”

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
The Budnick trade now makes the Schmidt trade make a LOT more sense. I really like that value too.

Interesting comment from Cooper on the Fronts Website - hopefully everything is all good.

“We appreciate his contributions to our organization both on and off the ice. For personal reasons Tommy was seeking a new opportunity and we are glad we were able to provide him with that. Playing with Guelph, he will have the chance to regularly play games closer to home. We wish him luck throughout his career.”
Apparently he just wanted to leave and be a bit closer to Michigan ( plus I believe his girlfriend is at U of Guelph)

• Wow

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Cooper is COOKING 🔥

Also like I said yesterday budnick is worth way more than uens it makes perfect sense to trade him and cut uens next year/play him as 7th d man

So we got one hell of an oa d man that I guess is stay at home? And a 3rd round pick today too. This is great. Now if they move ludwinski for tons of picks and or a Player they’ll be set up real well for next year.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Cooper is COOKING 🔥

Also like I said yesterday budnick is worth way more than uens it makes perfect sense to trade him and cut uens next year/play him as 7th d man

So we got one hell of an oa d man that I guess is stay at home? And a 3rd round pick today too. This is great. Now if they move ludwinski for tons of picks and or a Player they’ll be set up real well for next year.
Is it something personal with Uens? I mean fair criticisms about his play, but I feel you wouldn't even piss on him if he was on fire

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Cooper is COOKING 🔥

This team giving up any assets for a guy that won’t be around next year is dumb. Sure they recouped the picks, but had they not traded them then they have even more assets to work with next year.

East Avenue Bully

Jan 9, 2020
Cooper is COOKING 🔥

Very stay at home, although he has a hard shot sometimes and has been trying to go up and join the rush now and then.

Very large individual, has been throwing his weight around alot more this season.

• Wow

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Is it something personal with Uens? I mean fair criticisms about his play, but I feel you wouldn't even piss on him if he was on fire
Nothing against the guy he’s just a horrible d man and if this team has championship aspirations whether it’s this year or next- he’s not playing. Simple as that. Gave up a prospect, Stewart and a 3rd round pick for him and he’s been absolutely horrible.

Getting a d man like Schmidt should push uens minutes down hopefully. Not sure why he was ever on the top like with burns there- my guess is since burns is the best d man on the team he can handle when uens gets lost in the o zone
This team giving up any assets for a guy that won’t be around next year is dumb. Sure they recouped the picks, but had they not traded them then they have even more assets to work with next year.
although I get what you’re saying- the fact is our defence isn’t doing as well as it should be right now and needed to be shaken up. Getting a big body stay at home d man and getting rid of one of the guys that won’t be playing tons of minutes next year is a plus in my book. They got the better defender for this year and a 3rd round pick essentially. I call that a win.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Nothing against the guy he’s just a horrible d man and if this team has championship aspirations whether it’s this year or next- he’s not playing. Simple as that. Gave up a prospect, Stewart and a 3rd round pick for him and he’s been absolutely horrible.

Getting a d man like Schmidt should push uens minutes down hopefully. Not sure why he was ever on the top like with burns there- my guess is since burns is the best d man on the team he can handle when uens gets lost in the o zone

although I get what you’re saying- the fact is our defence isn’t doing as well as it should be right now and needed to be shaken up. Getting a big body stay at home d man and getting rid of one of the guys that won’t be playing tons of minutes next year is a plus in my book. They got the better defender for this year and a 3rd round pick essentially. I call that a win.
Ya but why not use those picks for a guy that’s 18 or 19, that may or may not be able to help next year?

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
Ya but why not use those picks for a guy that’s 18 or 19, that may or may not be able to help next year?
I think they really wanted him to teach the young guys this year more than anything. Holmes and Schmidt are gone next year, but then you have Burns, Chromiak, Williamson, Uens, Velliaris, Bergeron all coming back next year. I think it's just a case of them being high on the players they have in place, and giving them as much experience and knowledge for next year and beyond.

“Off the ice, Roman’s experience brings a lot to our team. He has seen success in the playoffs at the OHL level, appearing in the second round in both of his OHL seasons. As part of the Lightning organization, he has taken part in NHL camps, exhibition games, and made his professional debut in the AHL earlier this season. Being able to share with our younger players what it takes to win at this level, and to reach the next level, is an asset.”

Cooper's quote from their press release seems to line up with that at least. Just thinking out loud.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I think they really wanted him to teach the young guys this year more than anything. Holmes and Schmidt are gone next year, but then you have Burns, Chromiak, Williamson, Uens, Velliaris, Bergeron all coming back next year. I think it's just a case of them being high on the players they have in place, and giving them as much experience and knowledge for next year and beyond.

“Off the ice, Roman’s experience brings a lot to our team. He has seen success in the playoffs at the OHL level, appearing in the second round in both of his OHL seasons. As part of the Lightning organization, he has taken part in NHL camps, exhibition games, and made his professional debut in the AHL earlier this season. Being able to share with our younger players what it takes to win at this level, and to reach the next level, is an asset.”

Cooper's quote from their press release seems to line up with that at least. Just thinking out loud.
.....McGowan.....

Reactions: ottsabrefan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

uens is an interesting case. i never saw him in owen sound but 20 points for a 16 year old d is high end. he hasnt had 20 points since. on paper i thoguht that was a pretty good buy low for kingston.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don’t get it 100% but I’d guess they want to get some playoff experience for a potential run next year and Schmidt would give them a better chance of that. With the defence they had before they wouldn’t win a round. Still might not they could make another addition but I’d say it’s a low chance. They can score 4 or 5 goals a game it doesn’t mean anything I’d you're giving up 6 or 7

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
uens is an interesting case. i never saw him in owen sound but 20 points for a 16 year old d is high end. he hasnt had 20 points since. on paper i thoguht that was a pretty good buy low for kingston.
I agree I thought at the time it could be good risk to take. But we have had him for about a year and half now I believe and it’s clearly not working out. Whatever confidence he had his first season is gone now he doesn’t even show flashes of brilliance anymore which is why I don’t get the fronts keeping him around.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This trade will help the Fronts in the long term. I have a feeling that there will be more trades. I think many players got used to the idea of playing with no responsibility and now Mann has brought discipline into the team and is expecting players to stand up and be counted.

Getting rid of discontent is a huge part of the game. You want people in the dressing room that want to be there. They want to give 100% each night. Putting Uens with Schmidt might not be a bad idea to try if you are looking at resurrecting him as a D.

If not why do they not try Uens as a forward and see what he can do?

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Cal Uens was one of the most confusing players Ive seen come through Owen Sound.

The Attack generally don't gush about draft picks but you could tell the management was pretty excited about getting him in the program that summer. Year 1 Cal played more than I would have thought, had 18 points which was a record for 16 year old defenceman (Markus Phillips had 12 as reference), he had 3 fights and did well, competed so hard, every reason to see him as a Sean Durzi type, one of the best 16 year old seasons I've seen from a defenceman in Owen Sound in years.

Year 2 was just not that. He came in and just never seemed to find himself, I'm not sure what it was but he didn't show growth and if anything regressed a bit. Give him credit he is one of the toughest players we've had, he took a skate to the face against Erie, tons of blood in the crease. Broke his nose and only missed one shift, came back in a cage and played a few shifts, blocked a shot right away. Type of player you go to war with but without the offensive output, he isn't close to the same.

I thought we'd regret the trade and Cal would get back to what he was this year, its too bad he has not, he was one of my favorite rookies and to be honest we really miss what we though he would be at 18 right now.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This trade will help the Fronts in the long term. I have a feeling that there will be more trades. I think many players got used to the idea of playing with no responsibility and now Mann has brought discipline into the team and is expecting players to stand up and be counted.

Getting rid of discontent is a huge part of the game. You want people in the dressing room that want to be there. They want to give 100% each night. Putting Uens with Schmidt might not be a bad idea to try if you are looking at resurrecting him as a D.

If not why do they not try Uens as a forward and see what he can do?
Budnick has always wanted to be here. And never showed any signs he didn’t like it here. Right from day one has been a locker room guy and seems like a jokester on the team. He trys every night and will put his body on the line every game. Very important piece to the team in that sense. Does a lot of things that don’t show up on the scoresheet.

I agree uens would be a better forward. Believe he actually played a game already this year as one for one of the school day games against you guys. Only thing is I’d rather have cavallin get those minutes over uens on 4th line as he has shown flashes of “what could be”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia