Confirmed Signing with Link: Kings sign Daniel Brickley

member 147413

They won’t gift it, but Borgman stepped right in, pretty much. Carrick still sees time, and Polak has a regular shift with the Leafs.

There’s room for him to win a spot.
I just don’t see a situation this season, where he gets a chance. Babcock has a plan and likes to keep the roster relatively stable. I don’t think he likes the idea of this new kid who we haven’t seen develop with us at all just step in and take a spot (on his off hand side) from Polak/Carrick.

I agree he could be better, but why mess with a pretty strong group who appear to have good team chemistry.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I just don’t see a situation this season, where he gets a chance. Babcock has a plan and likes to keep the roster relatively stable. I don’t think he likes the idea of this new kid who we haven’t seen develop with us at all just step in and take a spot (on his off hand side) from Polak/Carrick.

I agree he could be better, but why mess with a pretty strong group who appear to have good team chemistry.
Defense is one of “needs improvement” spots. Depending on whether or not Nylander becomes a C, it’s pretty much our only weakness going forward. He’d have to earn it, but TO may be the best option for chance at being in the lineup, and being on a contender.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
don't know if the Wild have a contract spot open for him. Waiting on Greenway. i don't think we're one of the teams.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Defense is one of “needs improvement” spots. Depending on whether or not Nylander becomes a C, it’s pretty much our only weakness going forward. He’d have to earn it, but TO may be the best option for chance at being in the lineup, and being on a contender.
I don't see Nylander as a realistic top 6 C. He didn't fare well there earlier this year.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
any idea if teams are wooing him with promises of NHL starts? Because the Wild would most certainly not be in the running if that were the case.

Reactions: 57special

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
any idea if teams are wooing him with promises of NHL starts? Because the Wild would most certainly not be in the running if that were the case.
These types of guys are always looking for pretty much a guaranteed top 4 role on a team. They need to make a name for themselves and need the ice time

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Bob McKenzie tweeted that Brickley would be ineligible for the playoffs, although Danny DeKeyser played a couple playoff games for Detroit after he signed in 2013. That said, I couldn't tell you with any degree of confidence whether Brickley could step in immediately or not.

A couple years back, the Flyers signed Alex Lyon and he was able to burn a year by simply being on the roster without having to dress in any games if I recall correctly (or perhaps he dressed as a backup?).

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Logic would dictate Minnesota, Buffalo, Colorado and the NY Rangers. Friedge is saying Detroit but I'm not sure why he'd go there since they have a ton of LH vets. Hope the Oilers are in on him. They could use some LH depth in the system.

You have got to be joking? Detroit can easily make room for him. Their defense is complete garbage and creating a spot for him would be easy.

Reactions: Heart Eater

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So your telling me that because of Butcher the odds on an undrafted UFA college free agent have actually increased? Who is the last undrafted free agent Dman to make a significant impact? Both Butcher and Schultz were drafted and decided not to sign with there respective team if you recall
The future answer to this question is Neal Pionk. The kid has looked unreal since his call up.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Pretty sure the New Orleans Saints aren't in the running. ;)

Don't think the Rangers will be interested here. They just traded for 3 promising, lefty defenseman with size. Pionk is starting to break out now. They most likely will be looking to add two righty defenseman in the first round.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Logic would dictate Minnesota, Buffalo, Colorado and the NY Rangers. Friedge is saying Detroit but I'm not sure why he'd go there since they have a ton of LH vets. Hope the Oilers are in on him. They could use some LH depth in the system.
Detroit could easily fit this kid in if he chose them, Kronwall will be gone after next season we can move Daley if need be Ericsson will be gone in 2 years. Detroit will have tons of open positions on D becoming available Detroit would be a great spot for Brickley if he choses to go there. Original 6 team new arena new opportunity. Minnesota is pretty much set on D and Buffalo's a shambles as is Colorado how are the Rangers on D any better to fit this kid in then Detroit.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i wouldn't say who cares. if you have the room, why not? it's basically a free lottery ticket. unlikely to win you a jackpot but a better chance at $10 or $2 and it's essentially free; taking it will harm you not at all.
There's no downside to signing if you don't have to juggle contracts to do it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Bob McKenzie tweeted that Brickley would be ineligible for the playoffs, although Danny DeKeyser played a couple playoff games for Detroit after he signed in 2013. That said, I couldn't tell you with any degree of confidence whether Brickley could step in immediately or not.

A couple years back, the Flyers signed Alex Lyon and he was able to burn a year by simply being on the roster without having to dress in any games if I recall correctly (or perhaps he dressed as a backup?).

DeKeyser signed before the trade deadline.

This was during the shortened 2012-13 lockout season. DeKeyser signed on March 29th. The TDL that year was April 3rd.

Reactions: Brodeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad