Pre-Game Talk: Kings in Ottawa, Tues. 7:30 pm on TSN/RDS

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Toffolis main knock out of junior was his speed and skating ability. Don’t think any of those people know what they’re talking about

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Immnot sure why McCormick is the first call up at forward. He had a spot on the team and then played himself out of the team

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Immnot sure why McCormick is the first call up at forward. He had a spot on the team and then played himself out of the team

Well if Burrows is moving up in the line up (to the top 6) then they logically would call up someone to fill in on the bottom 6, right?

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Thought he had a strong training camp, and has apparently been one of the better forwards in Bingo when considering the role he's likely to play.

Not sure why this call-up would be surprising. Also, technically, Dido was the first call-up, though McCormick's suspension made the choice easy.

Reactions: aragorn

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Dido was rightfully the first call-up. McCormick vs Paul is a fair choice, could have gone either way.

I don't mind Paul getting more AHL time at this point. He looked really good after his adjustment period (like Claesson), but stagnated after. Guys come around from that. Nothing wrong with development time as long as it is being used.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well if Burrows is moving up in the line up (to the top 6) then they logically would call up someone to fill in on the bottom 6, right?
He wasn't good enough to make our bottom six. All our lines play the exact same system. Just because we have a hole in the bottom six doesn't mean we have to call up a bad player with old-time hockey bottom six traits.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He wasn't good enough to make our bottom six. All our lines play the exact same system. Just because we have a hole in the bottom six doesn't mean we have to call up a bad player with old-time hockey bottom six traits.

None of the players in Belleville were good enough to make our bottom six though, otherwise, they would have made the team...

As for all the lines playing the same system, sure, but their roles within the system can be different. Pyatt doesn't play the same role as Stone, Brassard doesn't play the same role as Thompson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brown should be the one playing with Brass and Stone...not Burrows who has probably been our worst forward.
In burrows defence all our forwards have been pretty strong. So yeah he's probably been our worst. But not a single bad as I expected. T least not last couple games. I thought his first few games were bad followed by a few good ones.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
None of the players in Belleville were good enough to make our bottom six though, otherwise, they would have made the team...

As for all the lines playing the same system, sure, but their roles within the system can be different. Pyatt doesn't play the same role as Stone, Brassard doesn't play the same role as Thompson.
Yeah but McCormick got cut because of his bad play.

Chlapik (for example) stuck around and got cut late because of his good play

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Maybe they both got cut because the writing was on the wall , that is where they were going to start the year and they wanted to get the numbers down in camp

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

McCormick got sent down to Belleville because Ottawa had 12 forwards on one way contracts & they weren't going to put any of those guys who had NHL experience making NHL money in the minors. I think most would agree that Thompson, Pyatt & Burrows were going to be on the team & they filled McArthur's spot with Brown & Formention to get a good look at them.

.McCormick had a good camp, they said they liked the way he played & it was a numbers game & they wanted to have a good look at the two kids before sending them back to junior. The same thing happens almost every yr, the guys with one way contracts stay on the team, one or two young guys get a few games & the guys like McCormick who are close to being NHL regulars are sent to the AHL until they are needed. I bet next yr that McCormick stays up with the team out of training camp because he will have a one way contract & someone else will get sent down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think it's more of a case of they knew what they had in McCormick, and didn't need to see more of him to make the decision. It's not like there were a lot of open spots on the roster. I though Jaros had a very good camp, but by your logic he got cut because he was playing poorly (which I'd vehemently disagree with).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would have liked to see Chlapik get a chance as a temp callup I mentioned in another thread. He is one of the top shot leaders in Belleville and in games I have followed seemed to generate quite a few chances. I would simply like to see him play some in the NHL. He looked good in training camp.

Pronman in theAthletic.com
"While I initially went to the game expecting to be blown away by Chabot, it was another Ottawa prospect that made the most noise: a second-round pick from the same draft Filip Chlapik. Chlapik had a strong NHL camp and has carried it to his AHL play — something that doesn’t always happen — and was the most impressive prospect on the ice. His skill level stood out in a major way, he got six shots on goal and he was creating a lot of offense." I do not have access to the article but he supposedly includes some good gifs.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Brown should be the one playing with Brass and Stone...not Burrows who has probably been our worst forward.

Oh come on. Burrows has been quite good this year, IMO.

Yes, we traded too much to get him, but that doesn't mean he's terrible. He can be both playing at an acceptable level AND have been part of a bad trade. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would have liked to see Chlapik get a chance as a temp callup I mentioned in another thread. He is one of the top shot leaders in Belleville and in games I have followed seemed to generate quite a few chances. I would simply like to see him play some in the NHL. He looked good in training camp.

Pronman in theAthletic.com
"While I initially went to the game expecting to be blown away by Chabot, it was another Ottawa prospect that made the most noise: a second-round pick from the same draft Filip Chlapik. Chlapik had a strong NHL camp and has carried it to his AHL play — something that doesn’t always happen — and was the most impressive prospect on the ice. His skill level stood out in a major way, he got six shots on goal and he was creating a lot of offense." I do not have access to the article but he supposedly includes some good gifs.

I think the issue Chlapik has had so far this year in the AHL is learning how to play at both ends of the ice against pros. At least, that's what I've taken away from the situation.

I fully expect him to be the call-up of choice after Christmas. Just needs to work the QMJHL moves and in-game reactions out of his game first. Shouldn't take long, the kid clearly has the skill to play at the NHL level, and soon.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have to pay more attention to Burrows I guess because I've barely noticed him.

I thought he had a very good game against Vancouver (the first game) a pretty good game against NJD, and the rest were merely ok games (neither bad or particularly good). Nothing wrong with that.

For the fancy stat lovers, his underlying numbers are among the best on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad