Prospect Info: Kings 7th Round Pick #191 - Dominik Kubalik

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
He is not a UFA on July 1st. He is protected by the Kings until June 1, 2017. Only then would he become UFA.

Again, read what was posted. He's their property until July 1, 2017. And I'm sure if he keeps lighting up the league he'll warrant at least a review of his situation.

I'm only relaying what I was told by people who know much more and are much closer to the situation than I am.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm only relaying what I was told by people who know much more and are much closer to the situation than I am.
Amen to that.

But like kingfan said, which I agree with, if he keeps racking up points he'll warrant at least a review of his situation. It would really be silly/incapable if they dont do that.

Currently playing, one assist on the PP. 1-0.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Are you able to see him, Frolov? How has he been?
Partly, because the stream continues to freeze. Its just a mess these streams. Later on I always watch the highlights.

He is very strong on his skates, a bit physical and especially good on the PP. Looks a bit like Mersch in that regard.

I wouldnt exactly say he's overly skilled or fast but there is one thing I constantly notice....he has an excellent fast wrist shot.

Keep in mind this was once one of the most promising prospects from the Czech Republic. Seems like he is putting it together now.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Just an update about his perfomace. Today he scored two goals which make him the best shooter in the league. 28 points in 31 games played. 19 of the points are goals (So few assists)

Reactions: KingTrouty

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Is he even on the radar? I thought management forgot about him! I mean he's only 20 so there's still time for him but hasn't he been passed over, just like porks.

Neither is 'passed over.' Porks really is on the backburner until he decides to leave Russia and actually can, Kubalik is still our property and will be evaluated likely near the end of the season. Guaranteed someone is watching him, we have scouts in the region.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Neither is 'passed over.' Porks really is on the backburner until he decides to leave Russia and actually can, Kubalik is still our property and will be evaluated likely near the end of the season. Guaranteed someone is watching him, we have scouts in the region.

I'd hope so. They both could help restock the prospect pool after Dean makes a trade this deadline for Dman help.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
He's now leading the league with 25 goals. Four games left to play.

I've been watching him the whole season. Here's his game in a nutshell -
*Doesn't really have flashy hands but sometimes he can pull of a nice deke.
*Has a decent speed.
*He's not afraid of physical game, can be pretty gritty.
*Very good release on a snapshot.
*Shoot first mentality. He basically shoots from every position if he has an opening. Leads the league in SOG.
*Very good hand-eye, lots of precise redirects.
*Has a nose for net. His positioning and movement gets him a lot of rebounds.

Thats about it, if he works hard enough he might become something.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
He's now leading the league with 25 goals. Four games left to play.

I've been watching him the whole season. Here's his game in a nutshell -
*Doesn't really have flashy hands but sometimes he can pull of a nice deke.
*Has a decent speed.
*He's not afraid of physical game, can be pretty gritty.
*Very good release on a snapshot.
*Shoot first mentality. He basically shoots from every position if he has an opening. Leads the league in SOG.
*Very good hand-eye, lots of precise redirects.
*Has a nose for net. His positioning and movement gets him a lot of rebounds.

Thats about it, if he works hard enough he might become something.

Corey Perry?

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
So Kubalik has just become the best sniper of 2015/2016 Extraliga. He has got 25 goals, 40 points in 48 games. That's great considering he's only 20. Dominik Simon, who was also 20 and who i think is a better hockey player had 18 goals, 30 points last year for Plzen. (Now he's an AHLer for the Pens) I'm gonna upload all of Kubalik's goals on ytb asap.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Awesome Voodoozz thank you!

Even though it's likely he won't be Kings property after this year, I'm rooting for him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Has Kubalik ever come over for Development or Prospect camp?

Kubalik was at development camps and even training camps when he was playing in OHL iirc. It was only last year he moved back to Europe that he didn't attend.

I don't fully understand why the Kings would want to move on from guys like Kubalik and Porkhorkin. The Kings aren't exactly overflowing with prospects or contracts, why not bring in these guys who have done so well in Europe for a chance. Kubalik really seems to be coming into his own, wouldn't surprise me to see him get an NHL deal in 2/3 years if the Kings move on. While it's still likely he will not be an NHL player, it's worth a chance on a late bloomer like Kubalik.

Kubalik in particular has already shown he wants to come to North America by coming over to play in the OHL. It seems it's the Kings who are not interested which makes zero sense to a team with a shallow prospect pool. Leading the Czech Extraliga as a 21/22 year old is pretty damn impressive.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Kubalik was at development camps and even training camps when he was playing in OHL iirc. It was only last year he moved back to Europe that he didn't attend.

I don't fully understand why the Kings would want to move on from guys like Kubalik and Porkhorkin. The Kings aren't exactly overflowing with prospects or contracts, why not bring in these guys who have done so well in Europe for a chance. Kubalik really seems to be coming into his own, wouldn't surprise me to see him get an NHL deal in 2/3 years if the Kings move on. While it's still likely he will not be an NHL player, it's worth a chance on a late bloomer like Kubalik.

Kubalik in particular has already shown he wants to come to North America by coming over to play in the OHL. It seems it's the Kings who are not interested which makes zero sense to a team with a shallow prospect pool. Leading the Czech Extraliga as a 21/22 year old is pretty damn impressive.

Prokhorkin I can understand. He has been a pain in the behind with his transfer stuff and attitude towards playing in the AHL.

Kubalik I'm not sure of, and that one is somewhat puzzling. Unless something is going on behind the scenes that is.

And you are totally right Holden. If these guys had any inkling of a future with the Kings we are probably talking top 5 (Prokhorkin) and at least 10-12 range (Kubalik) in our prospect rankings. But since the attitude seems to be that they are done, no chance.

Also, for note, Kubalik signed an extension with Plzen in December, so there is no hope he comes over in the next year. I think it was for another year but the translation is brutal.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

This is complete speculation on my part, but my opinion is the Kings brass probably question his character or determination.

When he was in the OHL, and playing in Sudbury, he struggled. He was traded to Kitchener and struggled even more. Instead of staying in North America and continuing to struggle, or grow and adapt, he went to the Czech Republic.

I don't think the Kings were impressed that his response to adversity was leaving. I don't think it makes him a bad player or person, but when you listen to Lombardi talk about players who don't pout or sulk, and stick with it, I think we can surmise how he felt about a player going back.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Prokhorkin I can understand. He has been a pain in the behind with his transfer stuff and attitude towards playing in the AHL.

Kubalik I'm not sure of, and that one is somewhat puzzling. Unless something is going on behind the scenes that is.

And you are totally right Holden. If these guys had any inkling of a future with the Kings we are probably talking top 5 (Prokhorkin) and at least 10-12 range (Kubalik) in our prospect rankings. But since the attitude seems to be that they are done, no chance.

Also, for note, Kubalik signed an extension with Plzen in December, so there is no hope he comes over in the next year. I think it was for another year but the translation is brutal.

NHL has a transfer agreement with Czech Hockey Federation. So while unlikely a transfer can likely still be arranged (I'd bet Kubalik has an NHL out-clause in his deal, lots of Europeans do).

Kings lose the rights to Kubalik on June 1, 2017 though. So they still have another year of exclusive negotiating rights.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Kings lose the rights to Kubalik on June 1, 2017 though. So they still have another year of exclusive negotiating rights.

That is ...... EXCELLENT!! Wouldn't it be magnificent if the Kings scored HUGE with their trio of late-blooming prospects, Kubalik, Prokhorkin, and Kitsyn?

:yo:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Then later Sharpie and Alex D.

It's a good sign that Kubalik made all the previous camps and played in the OHL. But going back to playing in a Czech league? Doesn't show much commitment to an NHL path. Add to that we have a number of prospects coming into the AHL next season, and how many contracts do we have to offer, considering the 50 contract limit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad