Prospect Info: Kings 7th Round Pick #191 - Dominik Kubalik

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah none of them were 'special' from a talent standpoint, that's for sure...but at least he's driving the net or already there in each one.

It's also hard to get the least bit excited over his numbers in such a weak level of hockey.

Hell, former King forward Jaroslav Bednar and Vladimir Dravecky are among the top scoring forwards in that league.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
It's also hard to get the least bit excited over his numbers in such a weak level of hockey.

Hell, former King forward Jaroslav Bednar and Vladimir Dravecky are among the top scoring forwards in that league.

Players that can't even crack up NHL roster go to KHL and there they are top 6 or top 4 players. Does that mean KHL hockey level is so low...?

Czech league is definetely one of the better leagues in Europe, slightly worse than Swiss or Finnish one. The only one (With KHL) that is straight up better is SHL, but even there I would call it tiers better.

All in all, czech league isn't that weak as it might seem.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I've gotta say..... those goals? Those are all garbage goals. There are no examples of an amazing shot or incredible stick handling..... Kubalik does, however, have a knack for being in the right place at the right time. That's important. He tries hard, too.

You just described Phil Esposito.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Excitement might be a little too much but its always good to see a young prospect perform well in a men's league.

Kinda weird you suddenly think otherwise (well actually not because IMO you are kinda biased with things from Europe) and even bring up Bednar and Dravecky as some kind of proof why the league is ''so weak''. Every league in Europe will have former NHL players among the top scoring forwards who couldnt cut it in the NHL.

Kubalik is big and can play physical. I can see him play on the 3rd and 4th line as well.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Excitement might be a little too much but its always good to see a young prospect perform well in a men's league.

Kinda weird you suddenly think otherwise (well actually not because IMO you are kinda biased with things from Europe) and even bring up Bednar and Dravecky as some kind of proof why the league is ''so weak''. Every league in Europe will have former NHL players among the top scoring forwards who couldnt cut it in the NHL.

Kubalik is big and can play physical. I can see him play on the 3rd and 4th line as well.

One of my favorite Kings of all-time is Ziggy Palffy, so I definitely must have something against Europeans. You're just being overly sensitive once again...

How about the fact that the Czech league really hasn't produced any notable NHL players for quite some time?

It is a weak league. I consider the KHL and SHL to be considerably better levels of hockey.

Just look at the steep drop of talent being drafted from the Czech Republic and there's your proof right there as to why that league is so weak. Their national program has taken a huge step back from where they were in the late 90s through early 2000s.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31888

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even if it's a 'weaker league', we're talking about a young kid who went home after a mediocre stint in juniors and is improving. I'm not 'excited' like it's something crazy, but it's a positive year-over-year development for a 7th round pick and I'm happy for him, and there's potential there for a guy who goes to the right places and plays a defensively, nothing more, nothing less.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even if it's a 'weaker league', we're talking about a young kid who went home after a mediocre stint in juniors and is improving. I'm not 'excited' like it's something crazy, but it's a positive year-over-year development for a 7th round pick and I'm happy for him, and there's potential there for a guy who goes to the right places and plays a defensively, nothing more, nothing less.

He's redeeming his past seasons, but I just don't see a lot of potential for a North American transition back.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
One of my favorite Kings of all-time is Ziggy Palffy, so I definitely must have something against Europeans. You're just being overly sensitive once again...
I'm sure you have your favorites, but I notice you always downgrade prospects who stick in Europe. Its really remarkable because I cant say you are the most critical Kings poster either.

How about the fact that the Czech league really hasn't produced any notable NHL players for quite some time?
Not the Czech league, but the Czech Republic in general.

t is a weak league. I consider the KHL and SHL to be considerably better levels of hockey.
Not only you, everybody knows that. Still most Kings' prospects are playing junior hockey. Here we have a 7th rounder, barely 20 years old, who performs well in a stronger league. Thats always a good sign and who knows what the future brings.

No you rather talk about the good old North American boys.

Just look at the steep drop of talent being drafted from the Czech Republic and there's your proof right there as to why that league is so weak. Their national program has taken a huge step back from where they were in the late 90s through early 2000s.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31888
Okay, NHL teams should not drafts Czechs anymore..

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given his age and the level of competition, playing in the AHL would be a lot more beneficial for Kubalik than playing in the Czech Republic. As I stated, the competition pales in comparison to playing in the AHL.

Look at how much Kempe benefited from coming over.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Given his age and the level of competition, playing in the AHL would be a lot more beneficial for Kubalik than playing in the Czech Republic. As I stated, the competition pales in comparison to playing in the AHL.

Look at how much Kempe benefited from coming over.
Well he's there who knows what happens.

On 4 september 2014 I said this.

uncleben85 said:
2013 7th rounder Dominik Kubalik has signed with HC Plzen of the Czech League for the next two years instead of return to the OHL.
Frolov 6'3 said:
Good move

Kubalik scored 2 more goals tonight.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Do the Kings still retain his rights since he was drafted while playing in the CHL in 2013 and was not signed by this past June?

I was under the assumption that he re-entered the 2015 NHL draft and since he was not selected is now an unrestricted free agent.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Do the Kings still retain his rights since he was drafted while playing in the CHL in 2013 and was not signed by this past June?

I was under the assumption that he re-entered the 2015 NHL draft and since he was not selected is now an unrestricted free agent.

Loop hole in the CBA, or quirk really.

Kubalik is still Kings property. Since he left junior before 20 he remains LA property until June 1, 2017.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Yea I'm looking into it currently. Removing him entirely may have been an oversight and/or misunderstanding of the CBA on my part. Trying to confirm/deny it through hockey ops. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer shortly.

Last I heard he is basically still Kings property from what I understand, but there is no intention of signing him when his rights retention expires as of July 1 2016. He hasn't been around for the better part of two years.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Yea I'm looking into it currently. Removing him entirely may have been an oversight and/or misunderstanding of the CBA on my part. Trying to confirm/deny it through hockey ops. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer shortly.

Last I heard he is basically still Kings property from what I understand, but there is no intention of signing him when his rights retention expires as of July 1 2016. He hasn't been around for the better part of two years.

Read the entire thread guys. Holden already said he's still our property in post 10 and he knows the CBA very well.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=107457503&postcount=10

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Here's the relevant CBA quote.

(ii) If a Player who is drafted as an 18-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in
the second League Year after he has been drafted and the Club has
tendered to such Player a Bona Fide Offer pursuant to 8.6(a)(ii), his
drafting Club shall have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services
until the fourth June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft.

The Kings needed to give him that "Bona Fide Offer" to retain his rights for the second year (all CHL prospects need a Bona Fide Offer to have their rights retained for a 2nd year). So he did receive that.

Which means his rights are retained by the Kings until June 1, 2017.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Read the entire thread guys. Holden already said he's still our property in post 10 and he knows the CBA very well.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=107457503&postcount=10

Still wanted to check in with people.

He is, in fact, not in the Kings plans. They do not plan on giving him an offer, he has not attended dev. camps or rookie camps, and will be moving on at the end of this season (July 1st).

He is still Kings property but neither party has an interest in signing anything.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

He is, in fact, not in the Kings plans. They do not plan on giving him an offer, he has not attended dev. camps or rookie camps, and will be moving on at the end of this season (July 1st).

He is still Kings property but neither party has an interest in signing anything.

Same impression I got, from select folks.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't believe a guy can come to the NHL from Europe mid-season, at least not without waivers.

If they are already on the team's reserve list (so drafted protected players or RFA's) they can come over mid-season without waivers. Only players that are UFA would be subject to waivers in that situation.

He is not a UFA on July 1st. He is protected by the Kings until June 1, 2017. Only then would he become UFA.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Again, read what was posted. He's their property until July 1, 2017. And I'm sure if he keeps lighting up the league he'll warrant at least a review of his situation.

If they are already on the team's reserve list (so drafted protected players or RFA's) they can come over mid-season without waivers. Only players that are UFA would be subject to waivers in that situation.

Cool, thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad