Kinda playing for your Chicago Blackhawks: #86, Teuvo "Turbo" Teravainen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let's give it more than a month before we start saying he's getting Pirri'd. :laugh:

Confused though, not going to lie... Unless they want to play him potentially for two series before burning his ELC... or they want him to play out the final couple games consecutively and then play out one full series....? :huh:

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
It's a perfectly reasonable call if they've determined he doesn't fit the playing line-up as of now but it sounds like bad management to not inform him in any way of their intentions. At least TT sounds positive about the situation.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Lazerus's tweet headline sounds like a subtle shade [on the organisation].

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1h

Teuvo Teravainen on the team's plans for him: "I have no idea of anything." Sun-Times #Blackhawks Blog: http://*******/1kHkgiH

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
At this point there are a ton of forwards looking for playing time and who have NHL experience and TT's inexperience probably makes him a liability in Q's eyes during the playoffs.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Teravainen should have been better of with a team that isnt full with star players, he could have been a perfect top player alongside barkov with the panters ;) höhö

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Let's give it more than a month before we start saying he's getting Pirri'd. :laugh:

Confused though, not going to lie... Unless they want to play him potentially for two series before burning his ELC... or they want him to play out the final couple games consecutively and then play out one full series....? :huh:

Yeah, Hawks are playing games already with this kid.

Just grasping here but how about this angle: Hawks management already have seen how responsible TT's play is without the puck; they play him for perhaps 1, maybe 2 games to end the season; sit him again to begin the playoffs; and bring him in if the team sputters. Depending on how he does and if Q feels he is helping the team in the intensity of the PO's, he stays in for the full 9 games, perhaps not consecutively. After the 9 games, they make the decision to go to 10 or not.

If he does see action in the PO's, I predict, they won't be able to keep him out. I love his decision making (even after only 2 games).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I don't really see him playing this year (in NHL). Would look like poor management to try determine his worth in the playoffs. They could've done the 9 game test drive during regular season to see wether he's up for it or not. Watched the first game and he didn't seem out of place at all for someone playing his first NHL game. For what I've heard afterwards about the 2 games later he seemed to only get better and started shooting the puck more as requested.

Just to consider it, pretty absurd expectations for some that age making immidiate impact right off the spot with limited ice time. Would've thought TT seeing more time on ice after the Toews injury, but they just cut him off completely, so seems the decision was already made.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Seeing they didn't fail on Saad could mean there's still a sparkle of hope here. Unless it's just me being overly optimistic :laugh:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I really think the Hawks have TT up with them to just begin the process of assimilation. He is definitely in the mix for a spot next season but they really don't need him this year for the last few games and playoffs.
He'll get another look perhaps but in reality with three games left we could still end up in 1st place, 2nd or 3rd playing either Colorado, St. Louis or Dallas/Phoenix/Minnesota. These are still meaningful games and Morin and company deserve a good look more than TT.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I really think the Hawks have TT up with them to just begin the process of assimilation. He is definitely in the mix for a spot next season but they really don't need him this year for the last few games and playoffs.
He'll get another look perhaps but in reality with three games left we could still end up in 1st place, 2nd or 3rd playing either Colorado, St. Louis or Dallas/Phoenix/Minnesota. These are still meaningful games and Morin and company deserve a good look more than TT.

Ooooops! I was reading that we had 107 points instead of 105. Can't finish first so it's St. Louis or Colorado for us.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Having that third cheap year on Teravainen's deal remaining after this season will be huge. I'm not sure everyone is fully aware of how dicey Chicago's cap situation projects to be. Nothing like 2010, mind you, but things will be incredibly tight.

Having TT at 925k that third year instead of, say, $4.5M or something of that ilk, will prove incredibly useful.

This is of course assuming that the Hawks are keeping him under the 10-game mark this year, which it seems like they are. I don't see them throwing him into the fire in the playoffs after just 3 NHL games and zero established chemistry with the rest of the roster.

Teravainen's also hardly going to make the difference between a Cup/no Cup this year. He's looked pretty good, but hasn't lit the world on fire; in other words, he's pretty much what we expected. It'll take time to get used to the NHL, and the best time for that is next season.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Having that third cheap year on Teravainen's deal remaining after this season will be huge. I'm not sure everyone is fully aware of how dicey Chicago's cap situation projects to be. Nothing like 2010, mind you, but things will be incredibly tight.

Having TT at 925k that third year instead of, say, $4.5M or something of that ilk, will prove incredibly useful.

This is of course assuming that the Hawks are keeping him under the 10-game mark this year, which it seems like they are. I don't see them throwing him into the fire in the playoffs after just 3 NHL games and zero established chemistry with the rest of the roster.

Teravainen's also hardly going to make the difference between a Cup/no Cup this year. He's looked pretty good, but hasn't lit the world on fire; in other words, he's pretty much what we expected. It'll take time to get used to the NHL, and the best time for that is next season.

If he burned a year, TT would need a new contract for 16-17 which is the year after the Toews and Kane's new contract. The mini-purge is going to happen this summer and next summer unless something drastically changes. TT's new contract will have not be a factor in this.

Using a 7% growth from the predicted $69 mil cap for next year

$73.8 mil cap for the new Toews and Kane contact
$79 mil cap for Seabs (if he gets a raise), TT (if he burns a year), Shaw

Last edited:

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
If he burned a year, TT would need a new contract for 16-17 which is the year after the Toews and Kane's new contract. The mini-purge is going to happen this summer and next summer unless something drastically changes. TT's new contract will have not be a factor in this.

Using a 7% growth from the predicted $69 mil cap for next year

$73.8 mil cap for the new Toews and Kane contact
$79 mil cap for Seabs (if he gets a raise), TT (if he burns a year), Shaw

That third year being cheap vs. not cheap could mean the difference between getting to keep a Sharp/Seabrook type for another year or having to let one of them go.

I don't see the cap approaching $80M for quite a while, if ever.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
From cbschicago.com
--------------
What does it mean moving forward the rest of this season for Teravainen? No one is for sure yet, himself included. He could be sent down to Rockford to help the IceHogs with a postseason push or remain with the Blackhawks as a practice player, with the possibility of getting into the last two regular-season games.
“I don’t know, I’m just living day by day here,†Teravainen told the Sun-Times. “It’s been great here, and I’m learning every day, all the things I’m doing, the team stuff. I’m getting more confident, it’s a great experience and I think I’m in good shape.â€
-----------------
Here's a 19 year old coming overseas and he already seems a tad bewildered. At least they could communicate with the poor kid, but no, Q and Hawks don’t play games with their players. Right Hossboss.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He seems a tad bewildered?

“It’s been great here, and I’m learning every day, all the things I’m doing, the team stuff. I’m getting more confident, it’s a great experience and I think I’m in good shape.”

Sounds like he is enjoying himself and doesn't really care what the plan is for him. Hawks are focused on getting their team ready for the playoffs, not on the feelings of a 19 year old kid.

Keep grasping at straws though.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ which would have been great if he hadn't prefixed it with " “I don’t know, I’m just living day by day here,â€

To not tell this kid what they are planning for him rings as quite familiar. I have no problem with easing a 19-year old into the line-up, but there's ne excuse for keeping him in the dark. If Hawks aren't sure of their plans themselves, just tell him so.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
/\ which would have been great if he hadn't prefixed it with " “I don’t know, I’m just living day by day here,”

To not tell this kid what they are planning for him rings as quite familiar. I have no problem with easing a 19-year old into the line-up, but there's ne excuse for keeping him in the dark. If Hawks aren't sure of their plans themselves, just tell him so.

Or perhaps he knows and he's been told not to disclose anything to the media/public by the organization. And if they aren't sure of the plans themselves, maybe they've told him just that; that they don't know. In turn, he's not going to know anything either when asked about it. I think it's a reach, much like the theory of some dressing room rift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino