Kinda playing for your Chicago Blackhawks: #86, Teuvo "Turbo" Teravainen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Previously Bowman had said that that ELC status is not a concern. Question is whether that's a white lie.

I imagine he meant it along the lines of "if Teravainen plays extremely well, then the ELC isn't a concern and we'll burn the year."

But if he just looks pretty decent, like he has? Bowman and the Blackhawks aren't stupid. It's tough for fans to look past just the immediate term, but the organization would be better off having him for an extra cheap year down the line.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I know I'm in the minority here but even if TV doesn't play, I don't think we have a 2C problem.

Between Shaw and Smith (hell even Regin) I think it's covered. The problem is only when Handzus plays those minutes.

Something like:
Versteeg Smith Kane
Saad Shaw Bickell
Bollig Kruger Handzus/Regin

I think that's our best bottom 9 going into the playoffs. I don't think TiVo fits in. I was completely on the bandwagon to play him 2C but I think it's too late now. Handzus could be good stashed on the 4th for the PK and defense.

Next year I hope he starts at our 2C so I can bet him to win the Calder.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I imagine he meant it along the lines of "if Teravainen plays extremely well, then the ELC isn't a concern and we'll burn the year."

But if he just looks pretty decent, like he has? Bowman and the Blackhawks aren't stupid. It's tough for fans to look past just the immediate term, but the organization would be better off having him for an extra cheap year down the line.

Teravainen didn't even look pretty decent. He looked like he was afraid of getting scored on so much that he played as a third defenseman. His strengths are in the offensive zone but he was too afraid to use them. It propably was the only way of getting him out of his shell to let him sit out and watch. I didn't see the last game though where he had the most shots on goal of the Hawks players, but anyway, that's what I thought looking at the two previous games he played in.

The best that could happen to Teravainen now is that he gets a full off season to get better and gets to fight for a spot in pre-season like everyone else. I don't think him watching these few games from the stands is any worse than him playing in the AHL playoffs or World Championships.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Teravainen didn't even look pretty decent. He looked like he was afraid of getting scored on so much that he played as a third defenseman. His strengths are in the offensive zone but he was too afraid to use them. It propably was the only way of getting him out of his shell to let him sit out and watch. I didn't see the last game though where he had the most shots on goal of the Hawks players, but anyway, that's what I thought looking at the two previous games he played in.

The best that could happen to Teravainen now is that he gets a full off season to get better and gets to fight for a spot in pre-season like everyone else. I don't think him watching these few games from the stands is any worse than him playing in the AHL playoffs or World Championships.

Exactly this. I don't know what good it is going to do for the kid's convidence to be looking at these games from the stands. Maybe he knows the story about Pirri and didn't wanna be defensive liability, thus focusing on not being beaten in his own end while his tools are more offensive orientated. It seems we won't be getting much enjoyment seeing him develop playing hockey this season, but more of looking at how the organisation will be treating him.

Still if no AHL, bringing him up and making him a spectator does seem like some sort of an odd ending to his hotstreak (which lasted for months after the WJHC) and might have very negative impact from TT's point of view. Lets hope he can handle this.

On a side note, if those stats from Jokerit page about his height/weight are correct then he's done some major bulking up and that's a very positive sign.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
On a side note, if those stats from Jokerit page about his height/weight are correct then he's done some major bulking up and that's a very positive sign.

It's easy to bulk like 30lbs in 2 years, it's totally different to maintain when you're young and there is a lot of distractions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
If it's not a concern, then that's extremely out of character for a man who quite clearly has a long term plan.

Don't know if this is the truth, but friend of mine told me that their plan is to play TT on playoffs if Toews and Kaner are healthy, hence they're saving some games and giving opportunities for few other guys as well. If neither of them are healthy for the full run they will save one year because they don't want waste one year just because of few games or put too much weight on TT's shoulders. Which in my opinion is the right decision.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
^ I chuckled at that as well.

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 7 min

Michal Handzus will return to #Blackhawks' lineup vs. Blues. Johnny Oduya (lower body) still sidelined. Teuvo Teravainen isn't playing.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 8 min

Certainly appears that Teuvo Teravainen isn't in the #Blackhawks' plans for the rest of the season and playoffs. Q said no decision made.

It's the right call not have him play today at least, considering he hasn't played in a week and it's the Blues. Anything else would go against the "ease him into the NHL game" approach.

Are there some rules by the way about if they send him to Rockford and NHL playoffs start, can he still be called back to NHL or is there like a deadline when he is supposed to be listed as one of these "Black Aces" (is that even an official status)?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Yeah given if Backes is still in the mood for jumping teenage rookies, don't have a problem with Teuvo being out.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
yeah after watching another Backes temper tantrum yesterday it's probably best to just sit him today.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Seems like management thinks TT can't play back to back games or games against physical teams. But somehow he will be battle hardened to play in POs if necessary.

Why is TT here? To sit in the room with the guys and watch from the pressbox?

Play him and see what he's got. If he's got it now, turn it loose. If he doesn't have it yet, cut him short and save the ELC year. I don't see how the current method can determine anything about his game.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said the timing and the Hawks’ position in the standings — chasing the Colorado Avalanche for home-ice advantage in the first round — have played a role in the decision.

“It’s a big league and a hard league,” he said. “And we want to make sure we’re helping ourselves get points. At the same time, he’s learning, as well.”

Quenneville said a decision hasn’t been made yet whether Teravainen will stay with the Hawks for the Stanley Cup playoffs (either as a player or a Black Ace) or if he’ll go to Rockford for the AHL playoffs.

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/t...ar-to-be-in-the-blackhawks-plans-this-spring/

Despite saying decision hasn't been made, this pretty much tells TT in the NHL POs in any role isn't likely, unless variable X/Y/Z occurs. Maybe there's still a possiblity for a game just before POs to rest other players if it becomes apparent home ice advantage cannot be claimed/Hawks secure the advantage?

As to reasons why not send him to AHL one can only speculate, maybe they want to make sure no injuries since off season training will be very important if there is a chance he'll make the team next season? In addition to him getting used to the NHL way of doing things/his team mates and all that jazz.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
What reason did they give for him not playing today?

If Q is going to refuse to play him, he should either be in Rockford or he should go back to Europe to play at WC.

It's weird...because I thought he looked fairly good the last game he played.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Seems like management thinks TT can't play back to back games or games against physical teams. But somehow he will be battle hardened to play in POs if necessary.

Why is TT here? To sit in the room with the guys and watch from the pressbox?

Play him and see what he's got. If he's got it now, turn it loose. If he doesn't have it yet, cut him short and save the ELC year. I don't see how the current method can determine anything about his game.

Pretty much where I'm at.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He needs to be sent down to help Rockford get into the playoffs as they are depleted and get some experience, I like him but it would be a bad idea to kill a year off his contract. As of right now he is not going to make or break the cup but in his 3rd year as a Hawk he could be the difference maker(getting paid 800k or not being on the team/getting paid 4.5M).

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't agree that it would be better for TT to play in Rockford than to practice with the Hawks, even if he doesn't get in another game. I think working with Q and the Hawks coaching staff and practising with the Hawks will help him in the areas that need the most work. I don't think going to Rockford would hurt him - just that staying with the Hawks where Q and the coaching staff can work with him and having him practice with the team will help him more.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
What reason did they give for him not playing today?

In the article I linked above Q says they are after the home ice advantage and basically says he believes other players playing will help the team better to achieve that.

Now with three back to back wins with these C's it seems even less likely anything will change. Which is, of course, fair enough, continuing with the winning team.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
getting the experience and being on the ice during training helps him big time. Getting to know NA and Chicago, the players and coaches. Learing the attitude of the team and getting comfortable with the UC and media.

He learns lots of stuff just being there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille