KHL Trades, Rumors and Free Agent Talk Part 6

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any chance Nikita Serebryakov ends up in North America?

Played over 40 games for overmatched Admiral and had respectable numbers given the team he played behind.

Appears to be a free agent unless he is already signed.

Round three!

Englanti?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Englanti?
Without wanting to sound rude, but if you had read my two other posts that were literally above it you should probably get the hint that this was about players leaving Jokerit, indicating an exit from the KHL before it was official. Also, I don't see the point in bringing up a 4 month old post/Tweet and ask for an English translation.

Reactions: Jussi

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hm, it looks like Miks Indrasis signs a contract with Spartak. And I thought it was officially prohibited for any Latvians to play in Russian leagues. I remeber Indrasis said something like "I'm a lawful citizen and I won't play in the KHL".

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Hm, it looks like Miks Indrasis signs a contract with Spartak. And I thought it was officially prohibited for any Latvians to play in Russian leagues. I remeber Indrasis said something like "I'm a lawful citizen and I won't play in the KHL".
As far as I remember, the law doesn't apply to people born in the Soviet Union, as that would be unfair. So Miks can sign if he wishes.

Doesn't help if he made that statement, though, just looks odd now. But at the end of the day, he's a hockey player, Moscow isn't far from home, he still needs to make a living.

edit: I would say looking at comments, people are generally not impressed, calling him greedy and chasing money. It states that he may have to forfeit playing for Team Latvia going forward.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As far as I remember, the law doesn't apply to people born in the Soviet Union, as that would be unfair. So Miks can sign if he wishes.

Doesn't help if he made that statement, though, just looks odd now. But at the end of the day, he's a hockey player, Moscow isn't far from home, he still needs to make a living.

edit: I would say looking at comments, people are generally not impressed, calling him greedy and chasing money. It states that he may have to forfeit playing for Team Latvia going forward.

I see. I personally understand him, he hardly gets 1/5 of what he gets in the KHL in SHL or Liiga.

His last season KHL statistics doesn't look very impressive though.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I see. I personally understand him, he hardly gets 1/5 of what he gets in the KHL in SHL or Liiga.

I can only guess that, considering the KHL won't attract as many or the usual calibre of imports, Miks is probably seen as a decent option, being a solid Team Latvia player and his experience overall in the KHL

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Without wanting to sound rude, but if you had read my two other posts that were literally above it you should probably get the hint that this was about players leaving Jokerit, indicating an exit from the KHL before it was official. Also, I don't see the point in bringing up a 4 month old post/Tweet and ask for an English translation.
It was a post made in jest - more showing off my (very limited) knowledge of the Finnish language.

I should have realized that doesn't always come through in these threads.

My apologies.

Reactions: Exarz

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I can only guess that, considering the KHL won't attract as many or the usual calibre of imports, Miks is probably seen as a decent option, being a solid Team Latvia player and his experience overall in the KHL

It looks like Latvians aren't happy with his decision. Hope he won't have problems with safety there.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
It looks like Latvians aren't happy with his decision. Hope he won't have problems with safety there.
Safety where? Riga? You must be kidding. :D Anyhow, Latvian federation has announced they won't transfer his player card, if ever an official request comes. If he plays for Spartak, he is banned from national team - not only as player, also as coach/staff in the future.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Safety where? Riga? You must be kidding. :D Anyhow, Latvian federation has announced they won't transfer his player card, if ever an official request comes. If he plays for Spartak, he is banned from national team - not only as player, also as coach/staff in the future.
Since judging by eliteprospects he last played in Switzerland, the transfer request should come to their federation, unless he played in Lartvia some time after that, of course.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
If the law is right with being born in Soviet Union then why is he being banned? Like if they have an exception why apply the punishment?

And considering the punishment, Indrasis must be getting compensated heavily from Spartak

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Since judging by eliteprospects he last played in Switzerland, the transfer request should come to their federation, unless he played in Lartvia some time after that, of course.
LHF: 'It was a short-term contract and Indrasis has currently legally returned to his country's IIHF transfer register, thus the new club must ask LHF to register a transfer.'

Reactions: Jussi and Caser

GX

Dec 28, 2011
If the law is right with being born in Soviet Union then why is he being banned? Like if they have an exception why apply the punishment?

And considering the punishment, Indrasis must be getting compensated heavily from Spartak
The law has no such exception in place. Here are the amendments: Grozījumi Sporta likumā Interestingly, it also says that you can't work with sport agents in Russia - hadn't noticed that before. And would doubt that Indrasis didn't use Winners Hockey Agency for this deal.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The law has no such exception in place. Here are the amendments: Grozījumi Sporta likumā Interestingly, it also says that you can't work with sport agents in Russia - hadn't noticed that before. And would doubt that Indrasis didn't use Winners Hockey Agency for this deal.
Thanks, I'm sure I read there was an exception, I will try checking again but for now I'll accept there is not

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
EliteProspects lists Sulak as signed by Admiral for 2022-23. Is that a mistake on their part or is he returning to the KHL?
I think it's too early to tell, could be any of the options. Some teams/players are obviously waiting for the situation to resolve, he might be one of those considering he hasn't signed anywhere else. Him actually playing for Admiral since unlikely at this point in any case, even if that isn't a mistake and his contract extension somehow carries over.

That proportion is ludicrous, what do you think players in Sweden play for, food tickets? :laugh: Having said that, 2nd part of your post is more to the point. He was legitimately terrible last season and KHL desperation kinda matches his desperation to earn the amount of money and have the status he thinks he deserves. Which, in actuality, he doesn't, unless he solves whatever issues he has that made him play like garbage last year.

Any chance Nikita Serebryakov ends up in North America?

Played over 40 games for overmatched Admiral and had respectable numbers given the team he played behind.
He is pretty terrible, definitely don't see it happening.

Latvia restored its independence 5 months before he was born so the exception doesn't apply to him even if it was there. Which it isn't.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That proportion is ludicrous, what do you think players in Sweden play for, food tickets? :laugh: Having said that, 2nd part of your post is more to the point. He was legitimately terrible last season and KHL desperation kinda matches his desperation to earn the amount of money and have the status he thinks he deserves. Which, in actuality, he doesn't, unless he solves whatever issues he has that made him play like garbage last year.

With current ruble the cap in the KHL is $17M. As far as I remember, SHL teams have budgets about $4-5M, and those are full budgets not salary ones. Then factor taxation into the budgets, and 5 times becomes pretty generous for the SHL.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
With current ruble the cap in the KHL is $17M. As far as I remember, SHL teams have budgets about $4-5M, and those are full budgets not salary ones. Then factor taxation into the budgets, and 5 times becomes pretty generous for the SHL.
Cap might not very relevant to a team like Spartak. From "insider" lists we know top players on Spartak made ~60 million rubles. That's ~700k euros in recent years. And those were guys like Lehtera (as far as I recall he was being paid 50 million) or Virtanen (60 kk), with actual NHL pedigree. Indrasis would be aiming and lucky to get 2/3 of that. Which is roughly the same as top SHL players get.

Now unquestionably therein lies the flex, KHL teams can afford to sign not-so-great players (or silly PR projects like Virtanen) to that kind of money but the difference of average salary is no more than ~30% for most players. That's why a pretty damn strong KHL team like Barys can't afford more than a handful of truly top players at the European level. If what you said was true, their 4th liners would be getting paid the same as your SHL player.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Cap might not very relevant to a team like Spartak. From "insider" lists we know top players on Spartak made ~60 million rubles. That's ~700k euros in recent years. And those were guys like Lehtera (as far as I recall he was being paid 50 million) or Virtanen (60 kk), with actual NHL pedigree. Indrasis would be aiming and lucky to get 2/3 of that. Which is roughly the same as top SHL players get.

Now unquestionably therein lies the flex, KHL teams can afford to sign not-so-great players (or silly PR projects like Virtanen) to that kind of money but the difference of average salary is no more than ~30% for most players. That's why a pretty damn strong KHL team like Barys can't afford more than a handful of truly top players at the European level. If what you said was true, their 4th liners would be getting paid the same as your SHL player.

Top SHLers make not more than $300k/year. Then factor taxes, and you get how much? Half of that? In the KHL it's about what 4th-liners get.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Top SHLers make not more than $300k/year. Then factor taxes, and you get how much? Half of that? In the KHL it's about what 4th-liners get.
So how exactly do you explain why only top KHL teams can really afford top European players? Why does Neftekhimik sign sub .900 Tuohimaa? Why has there only been 1 Swiss player in the history of the KHL? They are fine making 1/5 salary at home? Why does someone like Ohtamaa keep coming back to Karpat despite being one of the best Ds in the KHL? He gets so homesick he's willing to pass on 80% of the salary? Because Liiiga budgets are even lower than SHL ones.

I mean, come on. Wake up and smell the coffee.

And we didn't even touch on Switzerland where KHL clubs can't bite into their top players pretty much at all.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So how exactly do you explain why only top KHL teams can really afford top European players? Why does Neftekhimik sign sub .900 Tuohimaa? Why has there only been 1 Swiss player in the history of the KHL? They are fine making 1/5 salary at home? Why does someone like Ohtamaa keep coming back to Karpat despite being one of the best Ds in the KHL? He gets so homesick he's willing to pass on 80% of the salary? Because Liiiga budgets are even lower than SHL ones.

I mean, come on. Wake up and smell the coffee.

And we didn't even touch on Switzerland where KHL clubs can't bite into their top players pretty much at all.

Well, last season HC Fribourg-Gottéron had salary budget of about 7M CHF, which was about $7.5M, and they say it was 5th or 6th budget in NLA. So Swiss league pays good money to players, and top local guys are probably think it's not worth it to move to the KHL, while KHL clubs don't need 2nd tier and worse players. Don't forget about life standarts and traveling distances. And NLA salaries are way bigger than SHL's or Liiga's.

As to Ohtamaa I don't know why did he keep returning to Liiga. Probably money wasn't his main motivation, still he was one of very fews...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So I guess 1/5 of the salary for Indrasis it is this year.

For those not following the situation, he wrote an Instagram post saying how he is Latvian patriot, would never play in Russia and Spartak is lying. Story looks dodgy as hell but I guess he won't be playing in Russia, in the end.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

For those not following the situation, he wrote an Instagram post saying how he is Latvian patriot, would never play in Russia and Spartak is lying. Story looks dodgy as hell but I guess he won't be playing in Russia, in the end.
Might be even less of money in the end for him, as Spartak clearly wants to get that 1/3 of the salary as compensation for contract breach from him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

As Russian song says, "Coward doesn't play hockey". That's why Indrasis is what he is...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Might be even less of money in the end for him, as Spartak clearly wants to get that 1/3 of the salary as compensation for contract breach from him.
Well, Indrasis also wrote Spartak is mad at him for rejecting them. Frankly, that kind of pitty move kinda reinforces his story. It's obvious to everyone they aren't actually after the money (as in that case a sensible way would be some kind of settlement), just some victim card sprinkled with threats PR campaign, the Russian classic.

As Russian song says, "Coward doesn't play hockey". That's why Indrasis is what he is...
Ah yes, the Nazarov battle cry. Not entirely sure what in his actions could be defined as cowardly though..

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Well, Indrasis also wrote Spartak is mad at him for rejecting them. Frankly, that kind of pitty move kinda reinforces his story. It's obvious to everyone they aren't actually after the money (as in that case a sensible way would be some kind of settlement), just some victim card sprinkled with threats PR campaign, the Russian classic.
Actually Spartak kind of stated that they don't want to do the PR stuff, but will do it the legal ways, but yeah, anyway, both sides can talk any stuff they want, it is the papers what matter here and so far we can't see any contract registered in the KHL database. On the other hand, if it will appear there, then it will mean Spartak has something to register there, so makes sense to refresh his KHL profile page from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad