KHL Trades, Rumors and Free Agent Talk Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
True but a reasonably competent Russian goalie is probably more expensive. Also I think import spots lost a bit of value lately as Russian teams really have a hard time finding/attracting quality players.

Well, the problem is that those damn sanctions halved KHL contracts for European players pretty much. I frankly doubt that, generally speaking, import in other leagues are better. Sure, the Swiss league made some step forwards, but still. As you said, Sibir has signed pretty much the best the Liiga can offer and it's not guaranteed that their success will translate to the KHL.
Sibir still has one foreigner spot, though.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I agree, Krasikov is the man, Sibir is on a budget. Go get some scoring with that extra dough and foreigner spot. I think Reizhvik would make a fine back up.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I actually think this is a guess-job of an article. Most of these guys are obvious but I think Slepyshev and Soshnikov will stay.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Peculiar timing for Admiral to release all those players just when they could sell them. That team has some major internal troubles.

So there is an interview with a former Admiral's GM stating that decision was made by the team's president and they lost 150 million rubbles that day. Which would be enough to pay depths to all the remaining roster and have some left. He also said he considered this a "childish mistake". But it's nice some people on this board defended/saw nothing wrong with the decision :laugh:

The way things are going, it will be a real scene watching Admiral next season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Neftekhimik loaded up on Finns who will probably score 50 points combined. Terrible. I guess money saving mode after this season's splashes.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So is that reporter legit? Curious about Soshnikov as I haven't heard anything else about him.

But, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
So there is an interview with a former Admiral's GM stating that decision was made by the team's president and they lost 150 million rubbles that day. Which would be enough to pay depths to all the remaining roster and have some left. He also said he considered this a "childish mistake". But it's nice some people on this board defended/saw nothing wrong with the decision :laugh:

The way things are going, it will be a real scene watching Admiral next season.

I remember this discussion, we were thinking how could they do something so stupid. Others were thinking there must have been a rational reason for the decision... Nope, just a stupid decision.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So the highlight of the 1st day of free agency, Yugra's junior system got robbed blind. And SKA in action again on all fronts.

Maksim Matushkin, who has played 1 full season in a solid pro league at the age of 28, signs with Magnitka. It's just absolutely sad what kind of imports have been announced so far. Junttila is the only one who looks at least somewhat promising.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In a way, sure. But at the same time, how much money do you think they gave for a couple of 17 year-olds?

But I agree, robbing maybe wasn't the best choice of words.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not that I like what SKA is doing (or better, that is allowed to do), but come on, they did give out good money, robbing is another thing.
It's probably time to prohibit all these "trades for monetary compensation"
Why to prohibit it?

I will not speak only about the KHL now, but global trends. If we want a development of hockey worldwide, not only in one (two) country, we need to share as much money from the biggest guys (clubs/leagues) as possible with the lower ranked clubs/leagues. This sharing is done via transfers of players, because players want to develop, want to go to better clubs/leagues. That is OK. We need to protect weaker leagues/clubs, because they are not able to afford some players (Byvaltsev, Amur) even if they really tried. So we need to make a system when this weaker team gets at least fair financial compensation for a player. That is not only in the KHL. Tell me, why Arizona can not afford Malkin, Crosby or others? And Arizovna could afford to pay them I believe. Only problem is that players of such level does not care about Arizona ....

If we prohibit trades for money, we will have the NHL system. That system does not work in Europe, not only in the KHL. Lets say SKA trades Shipachyov for Byvaltsev/Li. Would Shipachyov want to go to Amur? Could Amur afford to pay him? European sport culture is based on a responsibility to community, to smaller teams. Therefore soccer rules work like they work.

If I get it, American sport culture is based on individualism of a sportsman. And this culture has been implemented to European hockey via NHL transfer agreement. And has killed European hockey. No responsibility for smaller teams/leagues. Who cares? Only important is that a player can sign a big deal in the NHL whenever he wants. And I do not speak how much (not so much) money the NHL pays to European clubs. Similar situation is between the KHL and rest of Europe. European clubs can thank to the IIHF for this system, which was implemented into IIHF rules because the NHL wanted to create global system which will benefit only the NHL. Of course, the NHL benefits from this system for so many years, taking players from Europe for almost nothing. And the KHL joined the system. I am talking about this out-clauses in European leagues. First, does the NHL has SHL/Liiga/KHL out-clauses? Second, what is a sense of out-clause claiming "if I get KHL offer, I can go for free"? How is it a fair condition? I have no problem with out-clause claiming "if I get KHL offer, I can go but KHL teams pay my former team XY money." To come back to the roots. The KHL clubs paid a lot of money to European clubs in the beginnings, but stopped to do it later, because they realised that system benefits them. And this system was formally created by the IIHF, but only beneficial at the time (and 90+% still) in the NHL.

By saying this. The NHL killing European hockey via transfer agreement & other rules. And we want to copy the NHL´s not monetary compensation system as well?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Prohibiting things that are effective doesn't work in general. Look at loan agreement. In theory, there are no loans and yet de facto they happen en masse. Same with money transfers, teams would just find a way to play around that.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
If you prohibit money transfers and make real salary cap. It can split quality players bit around. That can make more challenge for teams and more pressure on team leaders. How many teams now have real chance to win cup? Pittsburg is op quality because they had two of best centers in world on one team, but you can see different teams on play-off in the NHL. You want all the time cup on hands of SKA, Kazan or Magnitogorsk? All because they can spend tons of money and less rich clubs can not compete.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If you prohibit money transfers and make real salary cap. It can split quality players bit around. That can make more challenge for teams and more pressure on team leaders. How many teams now have real chance to win cup? Pittsburg is op quality because they had two of best centers in world on one team, but you can see different teams on play-off in the NHL. You want all the time cup on hands of SKA, Kazan or Magnitogorsk? All because they can spend tons of money and less rich clubs can not compete.
That is fine.

Do it! Prohibit money transfers and make real salary cap. I agree with salary cap, and the league plans to do it. I do not agree with probiting of money transfers. Even if all teams would have the same budget as SKA, players would still prefer SKA over other regional teams. Because it is not only about salary cap, but about the city as well. Better to live in St.Peterburg than Khabarovsk, Cherepovets, Nizhnekamsk or formerly Novokuznetsk/Khanty-Mansiysk. That is one reason for contraction of small regional teams, which the league has been doing. In ideal scenario you get only top destinations/cities and clubs with appropriate budget (salary floor 600, cap 900 mil rubles). Today we have teams which salary payroll are less than 600 mil rubles. Btw, the league has not decided yet if they introduce salary floor and what level. Why not to allow clubs to sell their players for money? Per reports, Amur had 500 mil rubles on salaries this season. And per reports, Amur traded two players for 100 mil rubles. That is a good deal.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I get it, American sport culture is based on individualism of a sportsman. And this culture has been implemented to European hockey via NHL transfer agreement. And has killed European hockey. No responsibility for smaller teams/leagues. Who cares? Only important is that a player can sign a big deal in the NHL whenever he wants. And I do not speak how much (not so much) money the NHL pays to European clubs. Similar situation is between the KHL and rest of Europe. European clubs can thank to the IIHF for this system, which was implemented into IIHF rules because the NHL wanted to create global system which will benefit only the NHL. Of course, the NHL benefits from this system for so many years, taking players from Europe for almost nothing. And the KHL joined the system. I am talking about this out-clauses in European leagues. First, does the NHL has SHL/Liiga/KHL out-clauses? Second, what is a sense of out-clause claiming "if I get KHL offer, I can go for free"? How is it a fair condition? I have no problem with out-clause claiming "if I get KHL offer, I can go but KHL teams pay my former team XY money." To come back to the roots. The KHL clubs paid a lot of money to European clubs in the beginnings, but stopped to do it later, because they realised that system benefits them. And this system was formally created by the IIHF, but only beneficial at the time (and 90+% still) in the NHL.

By saying this. The NHL killing European hockey via transfer agreement & other rules. And we want to copy the NHL´s not monetary compensation system as well?

Swedes have almost every year the most drafted NHL players, are the reigning World Champions, Finland have 4 consecutive U-18 WJC appreances, won it this year and have two U-20 WJC gold in the last 4 years. Plus JYP just won the CHL. And both Sweden and Finland have a transfer agreement with the NHL. Yup, NHL sure is "killing"European hockey... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I mean that if big team is on salary cap and can offer for example 200k and Cherepovets can offer 500k, it can be a motivation for high quality players to slip around. Also if you look on NHL, think when teams work with salary cap, it often lead them to use younger players, because of their lower salary. That can of course help younger players to grow. Yes Finland and Sweden doing great job with young players. Many of them getting chance on male teams too. Watching Finland U 18 this year was great. So many players with awesome speed and skill.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Swedes have almost every year the most drafted NHL players, are the reigning World Champions, Finland have 4 consecutive U-18 WJC appreances, won it this year and have two U-20 WJC gold in the last 4 years. Plus JYP just won the CHL. And both Sweden and Finland have a transfer agreement with the NHL. Yup, NHL sure is "killing"European hockey... :rolleyes:
You are a guy I described ... your understanding of success is to export as much prospects as possible to the NHL and as cheap as possible. You absolutely do not care about sustainable development of European leagues/clubs. The sad part of story is that European hockey officials share this opinion.

Reactions: TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I mean that if big team is on salary cap and can offer for example 200k and Cherepovets can offer 500k, it can be a motivation for high quality players to slip around. Also if you look on NHL, think when teams work with salary cap, it often lead them to use younger players, because of their lower salary. That can of course help younger players to grow. Yes Finland and Sweden doing great job with young players. Many of them getting chance on male teams too. Watching Finland U 18 this year was great. So many players with awesome speed and skill.
I agree with you about salary cap.

I just do not agree with the ban for money transfers. And I agree that the league should set a limit how much money a club can spend on transfers per off-season.

It is sad that league´s executives in Sweden/Finland are so proud that the NHL takes their best prospects for almost free. It is one thing to develop a prospect and another to be fairly compensated for him.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

You are ironically confirming what vorky says: junior hockey, no NHL around, Finland is the top of the world.
Senior hockey, NHL around, and where is the Liiga? Good league, I won't argue with that, but is it top of the world?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You are ironically confirming what vorky says: junior hockey, no NHL around, Finland is the top of the world.
Senior hockey, NHL around, and where is the Liiga? Good league, I won't argue with that, but is it top of the world?
Exactly. And they are so proud of having NHLers. I know what will be Jussi next arguments: we need to have good relationship with players in case they come back to Europe at 35+! And of course Finnish clubs do not invest into players development, parents do it! And I can not forget the main argument, it is a human right of hockey players to sign in the NHL at any time, even with valid deal in Europe, and European club has no right for fair compensation. Last but not least, European club has no right to decide if relase or not release his player under contract to the NHL (or the KHL). You know, that is a human right of hockey player to go for free! We need to respect it! Soccer player does not have such human right? You know, that is a human right of HOCKEY player, and of course, human right of hockey player under EUROPEAN contract, NOT NHL contract. Gary does not like such human right, because he needs to earn money, he needs players to achieve the aim and it is not correct to pay fair compensation to European clubs. That is bad for bussiness! You know, Gary says. :)

It would be a funny story, if not true ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad