KHL Season 2017/18

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Well, people who don't know how the rankings work in KHL will be very surprised when we (Omsk) suddenly drop from second to sixth or even seventh very soon... It's not like we deserve better than that but still hurts. For the ones who go like, "What is this guy talking about?"... Division leaders get top two in the conference regardless of their overall record - so topping Chernyshev automatically grants you top two. If you have more points than the leader of the other division in your conference, then you top the conference table. If not, regardless of whatever happens, you remain second.

Now we lead the division with 81pts in 51 games but with the win over Vityaz today, Salavat stands only 1pt below us. Salavat taking the lead means we lose the top spot in division. Avtomobilist, Magnitka and Neftekhimik already have more points than us, so letting top spot slip definitely means going three steps below.

Well, we can always take the lead or have more points than those said teams but by the looks of it, this sounds like a wishful thinking. Traktor at home followed by Magnitka & Traktor away, then Sibir at home and Barys away. Not the best schedule.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
So Vey leaves Barys by mutual agreement. What now ? any ideas with the next step of his career? I enjoyed his game in KHL

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
You may have guessed it in the previous message but now I can tell about it since I'm given the green light... A Turkish team has officially applied to play in KHL. At this moment, I can't provide concrete details since I don't know much at this stage, but I know that the talks have been good so far and there seems to be no obstacle preventing us from joining. Sadly for me, the team will be based in İstanbul rather than the capital, Ankara.

More will follow soon.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
You may have guessed it in the previous message but now I can tell about it since I'm given the green light... A Turkish team has officially applied to play in KHL. At this moment, I can't provide concrete details since I don't know much at this stage, but I know that the talks have been good so far and there seems to be no obstacle preventing us from joining. Sadly for me, the team will be based in İstanbul rather than the capital, Ankara.

More will follow soon.
What's the motive in this?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What's the motive in this?

The project is run by the club manager and an experienced Turkish coach who worked in various management positions abroad and knowing the person, I'm pretty sure it's not a politics-driven one. New facilities are being built in İstanbul (no idea about the details, though) and the team is supposed to use those. The talks have been good so far but of course it will take some time before anything can be settled. I'd assume we would be able to join in 2019/20 season at the earliest and considering the fact that Turkey is a very "shaky" country at the moment, the project always has the risk of having to be abandoned. Though, so far, so good.

I've always talked about how Turks could "actually" love hockey. I saw this light myself when I lived in İstanbul and went to watch some games while also training to play for our university team... The country has a huge potential. We're very close to Russia, mostly in good relationship with them. With some help and exposure, hockey in Turkey can grow exponentially. We're already way ahead of China in terms of "exposure", so to speak. We have many leagues at different levels. Some universities have their own ice hockey teams. Sure, we don't have anything spectacular or any product that's worthy of KHL but potential is definitely there. KHL will definitely change everything for the hockey environment in Turkey and allow it to progress even further.

I don't want to speak about anything certainly at this stage but the future looks bright for us, at least in hockey. As long as the finances are managed properly, this move makes sense for KHL too. New market in a city of over 15 million people. I'm pretty sure it won't be worse than Kunlun fiasco.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

Tarvv

Jan 20, 2018
Unofficially
Зарплатные бюджеты и бонусы клубов Запада. Кто и сколько тратит
Зарплатные бюджеты и бонусы клубов Востока. Кто и сколько тратит

Salary (mln. euro) (Course 69.4) (Contract+Bonus)
  • Admiral - 6.6
  • Ak Bars - 24.1
  • Amur - 11.2
  • Avangard - 18.3
  • Avtomobilist - 17.9
  • Barys - 8.6
  • Kunlun RS - 11.1
  • Lada - 5.7
  • Metallurg Mg - 22.6
  • Neftekhimik - 6.8
  • Salavat Yulaev - 19.7
  • Sibir - 11.1
  • Traktor - 13.7
  • Ugra - 6.8

• CSKA - 32.5
  • Dinamo Mn - 10.5
  • Dinamo R - 4.7
  • HC Dynamo M - 14
  • HC Sochi - 9.3
  • Jokerit - 11.1
  • Lokomotiv - 17.3
  • Severstal - 6.8
  • SKA - 37.3
  • Slovan - 6.6
  • Spartak - 14
  • Torpedo - 10.2
  • Vityaz - 9

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wonder how reliable those numbers are. Some, like Neftekhimik or Amur, are very suspect. Unless, in Amur's case, those are absolutely unrealistic bonus clauses.

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Looking at the table...
The impossible looks very possible - Avangard out of the playoffs. Missing the playoffs with this roster will be scandalous.
If they lose vs. Sibir /the team in form at the moment in the league/, everything will be in Amur's hands /4 wins from 4 games vs. Admiral twice and Kunlun twice/.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Looks like Khokhlachev is back on track. He didn't fit in the previous Claude Julien's style of the Bruins, so that was unlucky period for him but the future seems bright again. Going to KHL was the right move for him, playing big minutes and rebuilding the confidence.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Looking at the table...
The impossible looks very possible - Avangard out of the playoffs. Missing the playoffs with this roster will be scandalous.
If they lose vs. Sibir /the team in form at the moment in the league/, everything will be in Amur's hands /4 wins from 4 games vs. Admiral twice and Kunlun twice/.

Amur has already derailed, it seems to me. We will not miss the play-offs but regardless of what happens, it's still scandalous. Things should have never come to that. It's a big shame that SKA is too strong - with a more balanced western conference, this season could be the most unpredictable. Avto, Neftekhimik, Traktor all in the mix. I guess I won't start watching western conference play-offs till conference finals.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Not like it would be the first time Avangard misses the playoffs.

Yeah but missing playoffs with such an expensive roster which normally is supposed to do way better is kinda shameful. If our budget was suddenly slashed and we could only ice a mediocre team at best then I honestly wouldn't blame anyone at all. Now though, missing playoff as things stand, would be atrocious. At least, to me. Before the season started, I was really hopeful for a SKA vs Avangard final. Now it looks like a miracle. Winning Gagarin Cup was never even in my mind, either.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So the moment of truth is coming: Avangard vs. Sibir on Monday. Great ending of the season, Amur and Sibir showing tremendous character to make this happen.

Edit: nevermind, just realized it's a month away.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Dont like the long break, think its ridiculous, like a couple weeks mid-season is even pushing it. Teams chasing the playoffs cant like this.

Reactions: aonb

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah it has to feel really so bad to live in such uncertainty for a month. I think those teams who pushed so hard the last month (Amur and Sibir especially) could use a break and it maybe even favors them but mentally it has to be tough. And so unnecessary, surely you could have squeezed those 2 remaining games into previous 5 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad